Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753393 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #10650 on: 03 May, 2017, 06:31:14 pm »
There's a reason why it's a classic route  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #10651 on: 03 May, 2017, 06:45:50 pm »
I'll be at the generals from 8 - happy to wait if you're adding in the extra hill
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #10652 on: 03 May, 2017, 07:09:38 pm »
Look out for roadworks with lights halfway up tmnh. Doesn't always detect cyclists

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #10653 on: 03 May, 2017, 07:13:44 pm »
Look out for roadworks with lights halfway up tmnh. Doesn't always detect cyclists
You mean we might have to stop on the attack of TMNH?? I was going to go for a time too  :facepalm:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #10654 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:07:23 am »
Quote from ted over on the ACME Miscellany thread:

... I haven't looked at Forward Planning  but doubtless OD will have us touring the county and possibly even Forrin during the long evenings to come.

So I have accepted the challenge and come up with THIS ROUTE which the Witham peloton might like to follow next Wednesday if we go to The Hurdlemakers as suggested by FORWARD PLANNING  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #10655 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:16:01 am »
Really?? You do know most of us will just be coming round from missing Friday night's sleep!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10656 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:00:37 am »
Really?? You do know most of us will just be coming round from missing Friday night's sleep!

Well, if you will do such daft things  ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #10657 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:10:31 am »
Quote from ted over on the ACME Miscellany thread:

... I haven't looked at Forward Planning  but doubtless OD will have us touring the county and possibly even Forrin during the long evenings to come.

So I have accepted the challenge and come up with THIS ROUTE which the Witham peloton might like to follow next Wednesday if we go to The Hurdlemakers as suggested by FORWARD PLANNING  :thumbsup:

Looks awfully similar to the route you made that sent your Garmin into hysterics.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #10658 on: 05 May, 2017, 01:38:45 pm »
It doesn't seem like any time since we were last at the Hurdlemakers (or maybe that is because I have missed so many rides in between).

The usual form after an overnighter is to go to the other spiritual home which is convenient for all (except Tomsk).

OD can always plan his own route of concentric circles or mystic runes or whatever he is doing and we can wait for him the pub.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10659 on: 05 May, 2017, 01:45:25 pm »
We can go to The Compasses next Wednesday!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10660 on: 05 May, 2017, 04:59:59 pm »
Right, listen up, this is IMPORTANT ...

For my own personal convenience I have moved The Mighty North Hill Freewheel Challenge to a week earlier, so it's now Wednesday 31st May.  Does this cause anyone any significant issues?  I have swapped it with the Donkey & Buskins.

The Google calendar has been updated.

Is this okay???

« Reply #10661 on: 05 May, 2017, 05:09:25 pm »
It is the Wednesday prior to A&S.  Unsure of whether that represents a good or bad thing.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #10662 on: 05 May, 2017, 05:23:30 pm »
I will be on late shift on the 31st May, so will miss the proposed freewheel challenge night.

Anyway this mornings roll down TMNH from a standing start at Colams Lane the road bike hit 36.2MPH in semi aero ride position with the rucksack on and rolled to a halt next to the red bin on the slight upward slope onto the bridge. The persistent 11MPH NE wind probably kept the speed and distance down a bit, but at least it was blowing the aroma of dog shit from the red bin away from me. The traffic lights were dark orange when I went through...

So my thoughts for the (dis)organisation team - if the traffic lights are still there, the event would have to start below the traffic lights or be cancelled.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10663 on: 05 May, 2017, 05:25:16 pm »
I will be on late shift on the 31st May, so will miss the proposed freewheel challenge night.

Anyway this mornings roll down TMNH from a standing start at Colams Lane the road bike hit 36.2MPH in semi aero ride position with the rucksack on and rolled to a halt next to the red bin on the slight upward slope onto the bridge. The persistent 11MPH NE wind probably kept the speed and distance down a bit, but at least it was blowing the aroma of dog shit from the red bin away from me. The traffic lights were dark orange when I went through...

So my thoughts for the (dis)organisation team - if the traffic lights are still there, the event would have to start below the traffic lights or be cancelled.

Bugger, that won't do, we need you.  When would you be available?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10664 on: 08 May, 2017, 06:54:11 pm »
We can go to The Compasses next Wednesday!

I'm not sure I'm out or not but is it Hurdles or Compassesssss ?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10665 on: 08 May, 2017, 07:46:55 pm »
Who nose?  I may have to step in as the Benign Dictator the Ungrateful Masses can't make their minds up.

« Reply #10666 on: 08 May, 2017, 07:54:38 pm »
Let one of the brave Green & Yellowers decide.  Probably not much in it for the Witham peloton though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10667 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:26:46 pm »
Hurdlemakers sez I  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10668 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:52:31 pm »
I'll make a call on if I'll be out on Wed afternoon, but Hurdlemakers sounds great too  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10669 on: 09 May, 2017, 08:20:18 am »
I'm still in favour of The Hurdlemakers and its easier fir those coming from the east.  Plus, my rather loopy suggested route has the advantage that it can be abandoned at any time and we head straight for the pub.

I'm not entirely sure where Grey Sheep will meet us though.  We could always send him a Glympse.

« Reply #10670 on: 09 May, 2017, 10:15:41 am »
I'm going to be stuck in London 'networking' with some conference folk, so getting an easterly venue out of the way when I cannot attend gets my vote :-)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #10671 on: 09 May, 2017, 11:09:56 am »
Hurdlemakers works for me....although at this point I am still 50/50 on if I can make it...

« Reply #10672 on: 09 May, 2017, 11:52:22 am »
I'm otherwise engaged this Wednesday watching old musicians who somehow manage to still tour.  I'm up for the week after at the maltsers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10673 on: 09 May, 2017, 11:54:47 am »
Ok, so we're sorted. 7:30pm at the Spa Road roundabout tomorrow evening. Destination the Hurdlemakers.

« Reply #10674 on: 09 May, 2017, 12:11:44 pm »
Freewheel night.

I can report that the traffic lights have now gone from TMNH. 

I tried a freewheel when cycling to the station on Friday night, but did retard slightly due to the dark amber lights.  I rolled to a stop about 40 yards from the dog poo bin, and definitely downwind.

This morning was a better try, and I have picked out the relevant strava bits, just need to work out how to upload the picture. 
Starting at the top of the hill (by the yellow post on open space by the Little Baddow sign)and pushing off I managed to reach 33.3mph just past the Rodney, and interestingly managed 28mph on the section after the houses. :P  I rolled to a stop 10 yards shy of the dog poo bin.  I think I'll take the panniers off for the proper event. :facepalm: