Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753409 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1800 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:23:14 am »
Looks like a balmy evening is forecast for Wednesday, hands up for who's out this week.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1801 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:01:52 pm »
* Oaky raises his hand
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1802 on: 22 March, 2011, 05:31:29 pm »
I'll be out and about, any suggestions for a venue?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1803 on: 22 March, 2011, 07:37:14 pm »
I was wondering about the Viper.  Alternatively, I don't think I've been to the Compasses for quite a while.

EDIT: Or there's the Cricketers @ Danbury.  That or the Viper would allow a non-gratuitous NH ascent en-route.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1804 on: 23 March, 2011, 07:11:09 am »
Lets do the Viper!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1805 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:04:26 am »
Am I to assume the customary 19:15 departure from the J&J for an approximate 21:00 arrival at the Viper?

EDIT: Following roughly something like this route or similar with a slightly modified route home to travel just under 40 miles in the evening   :-\

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1806 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »
Oh dear, I suspect poor Huggy is well and truely getting ensnared. I hold myself entirley to blame, who would have thought that a chance meeting on a cycle path in Witham could lead to the impending downfall of yet another previously respectable person.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1807 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »
Hi huggy - usual j+j start - i have a route via the Mighty North Hill which comes in at about 17.5 miles from there (usual route up hill then sandon-galleywood-margaretting).  I am browsing by phone at the mo so can't see your route.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1808 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:20:11 pm »
Oh dear, I suspect poor Huggy is well and truely getting ensnared. I hold myself entirley to blame, who would have thought that a chance meeting on a cycle path in Witham could lead to the impending downfall of yet another previously respectable person.
You are indeed to blame!!  No one else can be held responsible for me being led astray after our first meeting  ;)

Hi huggy - usual j+j start - i have a route via the Mighty North Hill which comes in at about 17.5 miles from there (usual route up hill then sandon-galleywood-margaretting).  I am browsing by phone at the mo so can't see your route.
That's fine, I was just playing with Google Maps and I have have something similar to that getting to the Viper and a north of Chelmsford route home, I'll be following you anyway  :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1809 on: 24 March, 2011, 12:11:59 pm »
No reports from last night?  Are you still at The Viper?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1810 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »
We seemed to be going at some sort of record for salty-snack consumption - that do make yer fursty.
Eventually thrown out into a dewy and at times foggy night - sonar would have been useful as I felt my way home!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1811 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:27:52 pm »
We seemed to be going at some sort of record for salty-snack consumption - that do make yer fursty.
Eventually thrown out into a dewy and at times foggy night - sonar would have been useful as I felt my way home!

Literally?  At what time?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1812 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »
Ok, slight exaggeration. Decided to be sensible more like!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1813 on: 24 March, 2011, 05:02:07 pm »
Left the Viper @ 23:25ish, woke up the future Mrs H at 1am undoing the velcro on my shoes (oops!)

19.25m x 2 = 38.5 miles travelled, one NH ascent & one decent.

As well as sampling almost the whole range of Salty Dog crisps & some nuts the beer included V.I.P.A and some others the names of which elude me at present but I'm sure Oaky will be along soon to complete the line up.
Highlight of journey to the Viper was seeing a mondeo pass us approaching White's Bridge having ignored the road closure signs only to have to turn around whilst we navigated the plastic & concrete bollards to carry on on a very nice quiet road  ;D
Our route home was a mix of mist, bonfire smoke and light fog but nothing too serious.  Bonus for the journey home was a shooting star seen by me, but it could have been a satellite or some other such UFO.
Oaky tried in vain to make a speed sensor smiley face grumpy, only just though  :)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1814 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »

As well as sampling almost the whole range of Salty Dog crisps & some nuts the beer included V.I.P.A and some others the names of which elude me at present but I'm sure Oaky will be along soon to complete the line up.

I had:-

V.I.P.A.
Jake the Snake
Nethergate Augustinian
Mighty Oak Oscar Wilde

There was one other brew listed, I think (and some scrumpy/real cider) which I didn't get round to.

Oaky tried in vain to make a speed sensor smiley face grumpy, only just though  :)

First pass as we rode past on our way home was 13mph.  I hadn't seen it until late though, so I went back for another go and got 26mph.  I think 30+ might have been on the cards if I'd circled back for a third or fourth go.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1815 on: 28 March, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »
So.... anybody out to play this Wednesday? 

I'm thinking it's about time I went to the Compasses at Littley Green.  It seems like an age since I've been there.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1816 on: 28 March, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »
Hmmmmmmm ....

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1817 on: 29 March, 2011, 01:18:51 pm »
I'm thinking it's about time I went to the Compasses at Littley Green.  It seems like an age since I've been there.

:thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1818 on: 29 March, 2011, 11:31:32 pm »
Cool - it goes without saying that my route will start out somewhat in the wrong direction for the Compasses...

... something like this, in fact.

I will be working form home tomorrow, so shouldn't be scuppered by the trains as I was last time.  I may even be able to set off a tad earlier if anybody else is interested in doing so.

Edit: may allow for more than one NH ascent :)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1819 on: 30 March, 2011, 07:47:26 am »
Cool - it goes without saying that my route will start out somewhat in the wrong direction for the Compasses...
Not sure the bike knows any other route out of Witham at the moment!

I will be working form home tomorrow, so shouldn't be scuppered by the trains as I was last time.  I may even be able to set off a tad earlier if anybody else is interested in doing so.
I'm also WFH, and the future Mrs H announced that after protests of me being out on a Wednesday evening again that she was not in fact coming home after work herself until until much later (some sort of candle party thingy) so I'm very flexible on departure time  :)
For the sake of a suggestion, how about 6:45 from the J&J?

For you, maybe  :P

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1820 on: 30 March, 2011, 09:17:25 am »
Not sure the bike knows any other route out of Witham at the moment!

I will be working form home tomorrow, so shouldn't be scuppered by the trains as I was last time.  I may even be able to set off a tad earlier if anybody else is interested in doing so.
I'm also WFH, and the future Mrs H announced that after protests of me being out on a Wednesday evening again that she was not in fact coming home after work herself until until much later (some sort of candle party thingy) so I'm very flexible on departure time  :)
For the sake of a suggestion, how about 6:45 from the J&J?

For you, maybe  :P

My mind has gone into a spin trying to imagine what a "candle party" could be!  I assume that some sort of girl-thing ;)

I'll check on the 18:45 departure with mrs_o when she reappears later on.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1821 on: 30 March, 2011, 10:06:28 am »
My mind has gone into a spin trying to imagine what a "candle party" could be!  I assume that some sort of girl-thing ;)

Think somewhere between tupperware and Ann Summers, only with scented candles  :-X

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1822 on: 31 March, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »
A slightly earlier start from Witham for Oaky & Huggy last night to allow for 2 gratuitous ascents of NH (only Oaky) and more drinking time.
Sight 1 for the evening at the bottom of NH was a very oddly parked Focus Estate nose down in a ditch, difficult to understand how or why it ended up in such a position for the stretch of road, just glad that we weren't any earlier starting out  :o
The brief rest at the top of NH led to the discovery of a slow puncture on H's front wheel; maybe the Marathon Plus tyre investment will be sooner rather than later!
A short refreshment stop was made at the Dog & Gun - a friendly gastro pub with suitable rest area for cyclists  :thumbsup:
Sight 2 was a road caution sign warning of toads crossing ahead, sure enough several migrating toads were on the road - avoided all little green hazards on two wheels, wonder how many would have survived 4 wheels passing by  :facepalm:
We arrived at the Compasses to be greeted by Chief and the first of 4 pitchers of ale was ordered  ;D
The ale of most consumption was interestlngly named 'The Compasses', a very drinkable 3.6% refreshing beer.  A jug of mild was 2nd up before returning to The Compasses to wash down bowls of chips and pickled eggs.
Departure was around midnight after topping up the air pressure in H's front tyre (return trip home successfully negotiated without further top ups, but pancakes come to mind this morning  :( )
Sight 3 was a barn owl spotted by Oaky, it was thought that it may follow us for a while but we obviously weren't interesting enough for it!

So another pleasant MEMWNS evening out  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1823 on: 01 April, 2011, 11:32:24 pm »

Sight 2 was a road caution sign warning of toads crossing ahead, sure enough several migrating toads were on the road - avoided all little green hazards on two wheels,

None of the ones I saw were on bikes!  What were you drinking at the Dog and Gun?  :P ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1824 on: 05 April, 2011, 08:16:05 pm »
It's that time of the week when a chaps thoughts turn to the next destination on the MEMWNS.

I was wondering, when I rode out on Saturday, about a spot of feline fun!

(click to show/hide)