Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144414 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1250 on: 22 February, 2021, 05:05:19 pm »
That wood* be nice but unfortunately not possible.  I did get out and it was hard work but I feel great for having made the effort.

I'm definitely a morning runner but all runs count, right?  😊

* awful pun intended.  🙄

« Reply #1251 on: 24 February, 2021, 12:57:17 pm »
Been out for the now obligatory 8km.  It felt unduly hard today and my heartrate and pace reflect this.  Am I just under the weather I wonder?

Oh well.  It's 12km on Friday and I am considering MAF'fing it.  From Monday I have a new planned schedule.  It will be a tough month I reckon but I hope to see some benefits beyond simply mixing it up for interest.

« Reply #1252 on: 24 February, 2021, 01:27:14 pm »
Well done!  How I feel on a run seems to bear no relationship to anything I can make out.

Talking of which, I haven't run since saturday. New trail shoes arrived yesterday morning but I wasnt feeling the urge. Going to drag myself out later.

« Reply #1253 on: 24 February, 2021, 02:29:30 pm »
Thanks.  🙂

I get very negative whilst running and in the first recovery hour if things haven't gone "well" by my own vague and unscientific expectations.

I know that I am in a bit of a rut and I know that my week off during the ice and snow coupled with my demotivation at not getting into London has cost me quite a bit of aerobic fitness.  This is part of my thinking behind doing some heartrate and MAF type training over the next month or two.

Thing is, I only have to look back 12 months and then I can see just how much I have gained.  I doubt that I will be able to do the same next February but we'll see ...

« Reply #1254 on: 24 February, 2021, 02:44:11 pm »
I did have a little look at your environs on googlemapstreetview the other day to see what sort of environments are available to you. I have to say that I would probably be jumping in the car and driving out for a run in the countryside if my motivation was lacking and  running for runnings sake wasnt enough motivation. I don't know if that option is available to you?

Your post made me relate it to audaxing, where, sometimes you have to just strip it back and go out and have fun without expectations or pressures.

« Reply #1255 on: 24 February, 2021, 03:13:34 pm »
I failed this morning.

Everything organised night before.
Woke up to 60mph gale.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1256 on: 24 February, 2021, 03:17:49 pm »
3 days ago I couldn't wait for my new trails shoes to arrive so I could smash through the rtrees on the side of the escarpment. They got here yesterday. Still in box. There is nothing to stop me going out. It's weird.

« Reply #1257 on: 24 February, 2021, 03:34:06 pm »
I did have a little look at your environs on googlemapstreetview the other day to see what sort of environments are available to you. I have to say that I would probably be jumping in the car and driving out for a run in the countryside if my motivation was lacking and  running for runnings sake wasnt enough motivation. I don't know if that option is available to you?

Your post made me relate it to audaxing, where, sometimes you have to just strip it back and go out and have fun without expectations or pressures.

I'd love to but ...

Being registered ssi/blind eliminates car travel as does the fact that although mllePB can drive we don't keep a car as we generally don't need one and she is working full time anyway so there wouldn't really be time to ferry me about purely for changes of scenery.  It's a bit of a bummer really but you have to make the best of what you have.

I struggled last year because I was doing all of my running in a safe place which is basically the local rec with a convenient 1km tarmac path around it.  Eventually I have broken out onto the local roads but I have to be cautious the whole time for unexpected hazards.  Pavements are ruddy awful places with rogue persons, even more rogue animals, motorists who think that pavements are simply extensions to the road, mobility scooter users, pavement cyclists, pavement scooterists, drunks, angry idiots who believe that by running I am going to infect them with a lethal dose of covid, morons who shove random lumps of rubbish out onto the pavement for the fairies to collect, etc., etc., etc.  There is a benefit to using the same routes insofar as I have a mental map of the regular hazards which reduces a little the concentration effort required but clearly doesn't eliminate it.

« Reply #1258 on: 24 February, 2021, 03:47:45 pm »
Yes, I did wonder how practical it would be for you to escape Rugby, and having looked at your streets I can fully appreciate the issues for running in general, as well as the additional issues for you.  It doesn't look as if there is very much provision for non-motorists...so in keeping with most British towns, then.   It's shit, really, when you stop and think about it.

I will admit I am spolied here with easy access to open countryside. Now feeling guity for not going out and making use of it today!

« Reply #1259 on: 24 February, 2021, 04:07:11 pm »
I would like to live somewhere with much better non-moton access.   Bigger towns and cities have nice big parks and other areas have extensive heath and common land, miles of sustrans former rail beds and plenty of public access woodland.  Here in Rugby I have miles of broken pavements and three km of former track bed which has been so badly thought through that it suffers terribly with flooding.  If I were a driver I could within an hour be at many great venues such as Draycote Water, the Brampton Valley Way, Salcey Forest, Harlestone Firs, Pitsford Reservoir, The pathways alongside the River Nene around Northampton which also has Beckett Park, Abington Park and The Racecourse (where they have their Parkrun), the gardens and pathways of Leamington Spa, etc., etc., etc.  Even our local canal paths are rubbish but go just a few miles further afield and there are miles or paths that are safe to run on.

Must talk to my MP.   Oh, waste of time: MP* MP is a fascist of the most cynically nasty kind imo.

*  MP or Mark Pewsey is a serial yes man who drifts with the political wind in the HoC and only ever appears in the local rag for a photoshoot.  There was once a local area litter pick.  Fawning Pawsey showed up, had his picture taken and then pissed off without picking one single piece of litter leaving the pick to local volunteers and the Labour councillors who represent the ward.  Guess which pic got into the local rag?

« Reply #1260 on: 24 February, 2021, 06:00:03 pm »
I am very conscious of my advantages, nice quiet roads/paths/fields, a job trending towards retirement with time for activities, an absence of children and generally good health with a supportive spouse who knows my endorphin medication requirement.

PB I hope you get your mojo back.  I missed 3-4 days last week due to thinking I did not have time and it was too wet, etc and my mental strength took a real knock.  I am back onto my regular running.  Today was the first day in short sleeves this year and it was lovely.  Felt a particularly hard 12k but then got home to find my average pace had been 6:44 which is exactly my fastest 10k pace. 

Another run tomorrow morning then a 30 hour break until Friday late afternoon for recovery.

« Reply #1261 on: 24 February, 2021, 06:05:26 pm »
I'll be back.  It was only a few weeks back when I was saying just how much I was enjoying my running    strange how these things can very quickly flip.

Sounds like you had another productive session there Chris.

« Reply #1262 on: 24 February, 2021, 06:20:07 pm »
Agreed.

I find I want to tie in my running with my self-esteem quite firmly to give myself to impetus to chase improvements and oh boy do I get a boost when my running watch promotes me.

Downside is that when the running doesn't happen I feel a range of quite strong negative emotions. Or if I do run and I have a bad one.  A bad one just means one that doesn't feel as fluid and easy as the previous one, or one that is slower, or one where the watch tells me I'm getting worse.

Just went out with new shoes after not running since Saturday (which was a good run). Felt wooden and just didn't seem to able to get going. Then I realised I was actually running a decent warm up pace...it just felt slow. Did 5 miles in the end. Was given the benefit of the doubt by my Garmin and told I was maintaining fitness.

« Reply #1263 on: 26 February, 2021, 12:16:01 am »
5 more this evening - it was cold again

« Reply #1264 on: 26 February, 2021, 08:33:25 pm »
Cold this morning, but lovely. I wasn't fast, but that's not always the point.
And parkrun has a restart date.  :D
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1265 on: 26 February, 2021, 08:36:52 pm »
6 miler. Came pegging round a corner to find a dog on a long lead. Fast manoevre to one side which tweaked my knee. Walked home. Feels ok now but will test it out tomorrow.

Have had an underwhelming week. Completely lost my mojo.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1266 on: 26 February, 2021, 08:44:01 pm »
I thought I’d better check in seeing as how I started this  :)
I’ve managed to get out for a walk, so a step in the right direction. I’m hoping to get out for a run on Monday and I’ve booked my groceries delivery for Tuesday to remove an excuse. I might go out sooner if Sarah is ok, especially if she goes out for a walk with her mate over the weekend. I’m feeling I want to go for a run, so hopefully that’ll help with the motivations.
Keep up the good work folks, I think,it helps us all, but I know it helps me.  :thumbsup:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1267 on: 26 February, 2021, 09:44:38 pm »
Taking that first step is the most important I find.  Sometimes I do not know how to find my way out of the morass of lassitude and ennui that envelopes me.  At times like that even though I can now run, I feel as if a run would be impossible.  Sometimes the fog just clears, sometimes a gentle nudge from my wife helps.  keeping it regular seems to help but life can really get in the way!

Good luck for a weekend run Beardy

« Reply #1268 on: 26 February, 2021, 09:49:43 pm »
The truth is, once out, I never regret going for a run, regardless of how I might have felt before.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1269 on: 26 February, 2021, 10:03:59 pm »
Hmm. Was in at the deserted office today, and took my running kit in.
Set off for a lunchtime run, with the aim to do the 'usual' 8k hill.

But no, something niggling in my 'good' ankle.
Ignored it for the first k, but then no, need to not push this.
So aborted for shorter and flatter 6k.

The discomfort did pass after a couple of k, but has returned afterwards.
Glad I didn't push on up the hill.

Will take a bit of a break till this settles, I think.

« Reply #1270 on: 26 February, 2021, 10:07:42 pm »
The potential for injury is so great. It's very frustrating if you are used to cycling

« Reply #1271 on: 27 February, 2021, 05:13:46 am »
It's nine minutes past five and I find myself fully awake.  Mr. Met Office claims that it's just one degrees out there with a sparrow's fart of a southerly.

Normally this early on a Saturday would ensure encounters with groups of drunks and other nocturnal wanderers but these are still not normal times.

I'm looking at a pile of running kit and considering my next move.

« Reply #1272 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:53:02 am »
Went out around 6:30 for a nice, cool, easy 8km.  Everything felt good today so I'm a very happy and smug bear.  😊

Time for coffee. 

« Reply #1273 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:56:43 am »
Awesome!!! That is your day set up nicely!

I'm off out on the bike for a 50 miler allegedly, but I might squeeze in a run this afternoon

« Reply #1274 on: 27 February, 2021, 08:08:06 am »
It is indeed.  And as I said previously, it's amazing how quickly things turn around.

I am looking forward to my new schedule starting Monday with renewed enthusiasm.

Hope you get some quality miles in regardless of format.  👍