Author Topic: Good Sandpaper?  (Read 907 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Good Sandpaper?
« on: 04 October, 2020, 01:00:54 pm »
Once upon a time, I used to be able to get 3M Sandblaster sandpaper which was green and marked as 'paint stripping' or 'paint removal'. A bit like this https://images.app.goo.gl/7YgC5zQbWTCMjCpw7
It was the dog's danglies. Unfortunately it seems they don't do it any more.

So I bought some Oakey General Purpose coarse grade paper from Screwfix (it's brown) and it is crap, does nothing.
The closest 3M product I can find is this https://images.app.goo.gl/7YgC5zQbWTCMjCpw7 but it's also brown. I don't want to get that and find it's just as useless as the Oakey stuff.

Anybody any experience or recommendations for stuff you can actually purchase now?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Good Sandpaper?
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2020, 01:04:59 pm »
I've always used the Hiomant roll stuff.  The correct width for machines or just tear off a bit for using by hand.  All grits available.

Small rolls available from many trade outlets.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2020, 01:15:51 pm »
I've used Mirka Avomax from the local decorators merchants for years.
Good stuff IMO.
It may not come in sheets though, so it may not be what you want.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/mirka-avomax-roll-115mmx50m-grit-60-263382

If you can find a trade outlet, they will sometimes sell in metre lengths.
Garry Broad

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:23:36 pm »
Thanks both, never heard of Mirka but they both look good.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:34:49 pm »
Mirka make bloody good sanders. Well, bloody expensive - beyond my pocket for what it is.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:43:50 pm »
The Festool of sanders.

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2020, 09:31:37 pm »
At work, we have Hermes wet and dry, Mirka Abranet, also some coarser paper and cloth backed stuff which I can't remember the name of.

All for sanding wood and varnishes.

« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2020, 11:51:25 am »
FWIW a few years ago I bought (at a boot sale I think) some 'roll ends' in various grades from stuff that would usually be cut off the roll and then used on commercial (mostly drum type) floor sanders.  The roll ends are insufficient for floor sanders but plenty big enough for everything else. This might be a lifetime's supply and it is good quality stuff too. I forget the exact make(s) but it seems pretty good stuff to me.

cheers

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2020, 06:22:13 pm »
My two go to brands is Mirka Abranet and Kingspor. Both are orders of magnitude better than the generic stuff you still labelled as sandpaper.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium