Author Topic: the leaving of Darlo  (Read 105019 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: the leaving of Darlo
« Reply #350 on: 23 November, 2011, 01:41:25 pm »
that snow covered Pass looks like intrepid stuff Dean.
 8)

« Reply #351 on: 23 November, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »
that snow covered Pass looks like intrepid stuff Dean.
 8)

just looking at the same picture and wondering it must take a long time to get down with the weather like that  :-\
Or does the snow stop once you are below a certain altitude  :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #352 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:12:59 pm »

Nargile Cafe, Sıvas, Eastern Turkey by dean.clementson, on Flickr
"You hum it, my son, I'll play along ..."

There is an air of Eric Clapton about him, there. ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #353 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #354 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:54:24 pm »

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #355 on: 23 November, 2011, 04:20:32 pm »

They call him "Slowpedal"

« Reply #356 on: 23 November, 2011, 05:59:41 pm »

Nargile Cafe, Sıvas, Eastern Turkey by dean.clementson, on Flickr
"You hum it, my son, I'll play along ..."

I suspect we'll see a similar picture when he gets to Pakistan, but by then he'll be lying down
That'll be the weed, I reckon ;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #357 on: 23 November, 2011, 06:14:42 pm »
Deano, are you using studded tyres to cope with all that snow?

« Reply #358 on: 23 November, 2011, 06:47:16 pm »
Deano, are you using studded tyres to cope with all that snow?

No, I'm just slow ;D

They really haven't been necessary so far: even on that pass, the road was clear apart from a border of slush and ice at the edge, which cleared after a bit of descending. Towns and cities are a bit dicey, mind.

« Reply #359 on: 23 November, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »
And I've started a blog, which has been something to do in the dark hours in my tent. There are some gaps, which I will fill as I go along.

http://aroundtheworldbyaccident.blogspot.com/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #360 on: 23 November, 2011, 08:30:01 pm »
THURSDAY, 31 DECEMBER 2099 !!!

Are you Dr. Who ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Gill

« Reply #361 on: 23 November, 2011, 08:36:48 pm »

Are you Dr. Who ?

Not sure if he's Dr Who but he's woollier than you are Woolly!  ::-)

« Reply #362 on: 23 November, 2011, 08:39:47 pm »

Are you Dr. Who ?

I know, I know. I just wanted that post to stay at the front and I haven't beenable to work out a more elegant way to do it.

I wouldn't complain if I was still on this trip in 2099, either.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #363 on: 23 November, 2011, 08:44:47 pm »
And I've started a blog, which has been something to do in the dark hours in my tent. There are some gaps, which I will fill as I go along.

Deano, this is Great Suff TM
Journey of a lifetime - thank you for sharing it.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #364 on: 23 November, 2011, 08:51:25 pm »

Are you Dr. Who ?

Not sure if he's Dr Who but he's woollier than you are Woolly!  ::-)
Well I haven't shaved for two or so month so I do look a bit like Deano, though he lacks the gray hair :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Oscar's dad

« Reply #365 on: 25 November, 2011, 06:59:32 am »

Just had a quick read, brilliant.  Will have a proper read later.  I have joined / following your blog.   I come up as Team Feast, Feast being our business, thought I'd mention it in case you wondered who on earth it was. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #366 on: 25 November, 2011, 07:32:21 am »
Deano, just been reading your blog.  My sister lives in Dubai with her husband and kids, she's been there a few years.  If you get really stuck in Dubai let me know and I'll see if she can help you out. 

PS: I've dropped her an e-mail and pointed her towards your blog.  It'll be interesting to see her reaction  :demon:  ;D .  You could be the topic of conversation at ex-pat wives' coffee mornings for decades to come!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #367 on: 25 November, 2011, 11:42:15 am »
I've book marked Dean's blog.

« Reply #368 on: 25 November, 2011, 07:11:20 pm »

Deano, this is Great Suff TM
Journey of a lifetime - thank you for sharing it.  :thumbsup:

Cheers Alex! I've had some snow roads these last few days, but I haven't come close to the speed I hit off the Cairnwell yet ;D

« Reply #369 on: 25 November, 2011, 07:22:16 pm »
Deano, just been reading your blog.  My sister lives in Dubai with her husband and kids, she's been there a few years.  If you get really stuck in Dubai let me know and I'll see if she can help you out. 

PS: I've dropped her an e-mail and pointed her towards your blog.  It'll be interesting to see her reaction  :demon:  ;D .  You could be the topic of conversation at ex-pat wives' coffee mornings for decades to come!

Desperate housewives? :D

Thanks, OD, for the compliment and the offer. My cup runneth over for Dubai: assuming I go there, it'll probably be mid-late January (depending on ferries and extending my Iran visa).

Tonight, I'm in Agri at an even cheaper hotel. Last night and today have been the coldest yet. Everything froze last night, then wouldn't thaw, and then stuff froze again today. I was scraping ice out of my beard and the water I took from a mountain stream (one of the tributaries of the eastern arm of the Euphrates, as it happens) froze on the descent. I was OK while cycling and camping, but striking camp this morning was purgatory.

I might spend another night here as it's cheap, I can rest, and I can enjoy a few beers while I still can. As I was sharing a drink with a few guys at the shop where I bought my beer, we were discussing the penalties for boozing in Iran. They probably don't cut your throat, but I don't fancy getting the lash for getting lashed.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #370 on: 25 November, 2011, 08:52:36 pm »
Magic.

I think you're making a lot of people very jealous.

Enjoy the ride.
Mojo is being awakened.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #371 on: 26 November, 2011, 01:22:16 am »
Started the first ages of the Blog and it's great stuff Deano. I'm, following it, I think! Steve Sparrow if you wonder who's name it is :thumbsup:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #372 on: 26 November, 2011, 01:19:24 pm »
My ex Brother in Law got caught boozing in Saudi ( I think it was) and had the back of his legs whipped  and his Boss had to pay a £2k fine (this was years ago). He didn't do it again.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #373 on: 27 November, 2011, 12:27:29 pm »
Reading the Good Blog and I think it might be time to get a YACF whip round organised to buy Deano's freedom if he gets stuck in a Pakistani Jail ( No Visa) :-)
Hope you make the right decision Deano!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #374 on: 28 November, 2011, 05:47:36 pm »
I crossed the Tendürek Pass today, 2644 metres ASL. A new record for me! The weather was warm - first time it's been above freezing for about a week. There were great views of Mt Ararat on the climb and te only sour note was a few brats calling "money money" when I rode past. I do know how to say "fuck off" in Turkish, thanks to Ercan.

A few of the drivers tried to stop me going over the pass; one guy who had come over the other way told me the snow was more than a metre deep, and a pair of brothers saw me, skidded the car to a halt and reversed at full speed so they could tell me to go back down. I had a few offers of lifts, including once at 2500 metres - does anyone expect me to have taken that and missed out on the descent after climbing for four hours? I was pleased, once again, to have my iPhone, as I could use the altitude app to tell me my altitude.

I knew I could bail out and freewheel back to Dogubayezit if conditions were too difficult, and the majority of drivers either smiled and waved or ignored me, so I carried on.  Tales of impassable conditions and walls of snow were greatly exaggerated. The road was clear, apart from an inch or two of snow at the edge which made the road a bit narrower, and of course it was cold. The descent was quick but broken up by one or two little climbs where I could get working again and warm up a bit. I've found a cheap hotel about 100km north of Van. There was no chance of camping - it's a white wasteland out there.

I've just been checking out the two possible border crossings into Iran from Van. Serou is a long detour and involves four or five mountain passes. Kapiköy is my preferred crossing since it's a bit shorter and it parallels the railway so it's likely to be a bit lower, which may make camping feasible. I came across this Wikileaks cable which refers to Kapiköy, which made me smile:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wikileaks-files/nuclear-wikileaks/8297090/TURKEY-IRAN-BORDER-A-TALE-OF-TWO-CUSTOMS-POSTS.html

(Gurbalak is the crossing from Dogubayazit by the way, which I would have crossed today if I hadn't come south over the pass)