Author Topic: The first time you met another forum member (when a virtual friend became real)  (Read 7570 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Yes, I think I met TimO, Teethgrinder and maybe Julian pre-YACF.  Probably some other Fridays regulars who I didn't know by name yet.  And I'm sure I got passed by a few more on the 2009 Dun Run.

But there aren't likely to be photographs, on account of it all going on in the dark.  My first official forum event with photographic evidence was Regulator's fenland hairdryer spectacular.

I have met a surprising number, and probably a surprising number whom I haven't managed to match to anyone here.

Long, long ago.

It was on a kind of relay where a cycle jersey was being taken round the country, forum members volunteering for a stage.  It got stuck at Middlesbrough and needed to get to York.  Someone living near York (Cawood, I think) volunteered and so did I.  It was lovely early winter ride but it was lucky we found a shop selling hot food and drink open in Helmsley when it got freezing cold.  A week later we took it on to the northern side of the Humber Bridge.  Lincolnshire being a bit foreign, you understand.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Without scouring the recesses of my brane and historical posts I could not be certain of which of you I met first from forumland but I have had the privilege of meeting many of you through rides and camping weekends that I have organised as well as rides and camping/hostelling weekends where I have tagged along.  I am thinking that I have inflicted myself upon a lot more than fifty of you and no doubt the mind bleach has been unable to relieve your collective memories of said encounters!

A number of folk that I have met have since passed away which makes me feel quite sad but I retain fond memories of each of them.

Yes mind bleach is ineffective pb  :hand: ;)
the slower you go the more you see

Yes mind bleach is ineffective pb  :hand: ;)

🤔  👍

I think it would be the 2012 photo outing in London. (I think that was before I did a fnrttc.). Where I met Roger, Jaded, Charlotte, Crinkly, Clarion, Butterfly, Gerald and Mike. I think.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Fab Foodie - don't think he posts here anymore

IMG_3128 by ian, on Flickr
He's alive and well and, AIUI, shacked up somewhere near the coast with someone else from CycleChat   :)

I have ridden with FF quite a few times on the Oxford-London night ride.

He and Dawn (CC's Hill Wimp) have moved down to Devon. They were in Deal before that.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
F***ing stone huggers  ;D

img674a by ian, on Flickr

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
He is from near Stroud, and therefore a virtual hippy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
But there aren't likely to be photographs, on account of it all going on in the dark.

I don't think there are photographs of it but I met Pingu, Mrs Pingu and Ravenbait and possibly one or two others, in an Edinburgh pub many years ago.  It might've been in C+ days, actually.  I used to bump into the late rjevans6 quite often when our commutes intersected, though it wasn't until C+'s TGFR that photographic evidence was acquired.

I first met Steph at the York Rally in possibly 2005, but again I don't think there are photos.  I also have a feeling I met TJ and/or Butterfly for the first time in That London in about 2006 when I had a spare afternoon and we went round the British Library.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Fab Foodie - don't think he posts here anymore

IMG_3128 by ian, on Flickr
He's alive and well and, AIUI, shacked up somewhere near the coast with someone else from CycleChat   :)

I have ridden with FF quite a few times on the Oxford-London night ride.

He and Dawn (CC's Hill Wimp) have moved down to Devon. They were in Deal before that.

We met, along with A.N. Other, the weekend before last for a ride via pubs.  Also a chance meeting with Chuffy (not on social media nowadays) along the way.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I think Fatbloke was the first Forummer I met when we arranged an evening's drinking at the Horse & Groom in Rochford. My dad would still have been alive then and living in Broadoaks, an OPH across the road from the pub.

My next effort was a few minutes before a Critical Mass in which I was recognised by Little Miss Mac, with whom I was engaged in pleasant conversation when Fatters wandered by with the loud comment "You've scored, then..."

After that it was a bit of a whirl with Hummers, Charlotte, Emily, Peli, Zipperhead and others. I think we probably went for pancakes afterwards. I met a whole load more on my first FNRttC, which was August 2006.

Forummers with whom I have cycled naked: Charlotte, Julian, Damerell, Fab Foodie, Phil (can't recall his forum name but not Julian's brother).

A picture from the Mid-Wales Ride of 25/9/2006, im the Elan Valley.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

A weekend at Clapham YHA with several forumites.  Several years ago so not sure about names, however one thing I do remember is a lovely stew cooked by Ruthie for the group;  and after drink was taken, reminiscing about the Dad's Army tv series and a sing-a-long of the theme tune.  And a wet bike ride with the bonus of a visit to the pub.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
A picture from the Mid-Wales Ride of 25/9/2006, im the Elan Valley.

Ahem 24th  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
I think this was the second time

jaded by ian, on Flickr

jaded by ian, on Flickr

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
I remember those scones and cake!

I think that was The Golden Road. Wonderful!
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
I remember those scones and cake!

I think that was The Golden Road. Wonderful!

Skoon Art Cafe - A grand day out   :)