Author Topic: Bagpuss  (Read 10945 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Bagpuss
« Reply #50 on: 23 September, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »
Was Bagpuss pleased to meet your granddaughter?

He was asleep.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 23 September, 2013, 11:15:09 pm »

He was asleep.
Maybe not the only one. ;D

He just went to sleep.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #52 on: 23 September, 2013, 11:59:13 pm »
When the opening credits of "this is a box, a musical box..." started, the whole audience did a sort of "ohhhhhhhhhhh" and I'm absolutely certain I wasn't the only one a bit damp around the eyes.

Yep. They repeated them all on tv a while back. I watched as many as I could, and I loved all those I saw, but the best bit was (as always) the opening sequence. Brian wove a little bit of magic into those words.

We watched an episode of Camberwick Green in which PC McGarry questioned Windy Miller about boys fishing without a permit, but Windy refused to grass them up, then he drank a lot of strong cider and fell asleep. Meanwhile, PC McGarry went off to question Mr Crockett the garage man, refuelled his police motorbike and then went off without paying. It's quite subversive really.

Didn't Windy also fall into a drunken stupor under the windmill?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #53 on: 24 September, 2013, 12:02:21 am »
OT: Since it's okay to mention Pogle's Wood, can I chip in Hector's House and the Herb Garden?

I have the scantest memories of both, but it feels as though they were important. Isn't it amazing what sticks?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #54 on: 24 September, 2013, 06:25:39 am »
I went to a Fringe event a few years ago which was Phil Jupitus in conversation with Brian Cant, talking about Trumpton, Chigley and Camberwick Green, showing clips, and it finished with a whole episode chosen at random. When the opening credits of "this is a box, a musical box..." started, the whole audience did a sort of "ohhhhhhhhhhh" and I'm absolutely certain I wasn't the only one a bit damp around the eyes.

We watched an episode of Camberwick Green in which PC McGarry questioned Windy Miller about boys fishing without a permit, but Windy refused to grass them up, then he drank a lot of strong cider and fell asleep. Meanwhile, PC McGarry went off to question Mr Crockett the garage man, refuelled his police motorbike and then went off without paying. It's quite subversive really.
My children watched it with me a couple if years ago and said it was proper creepy. No2Daughter claimed she had windmill based nightmares.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #55 on: 25 September, 2013, 11:09:43 am »
I had windmill-based nightmares, once.  But that was because of the book, The Windmill Man, and its horrid illustrations.

I now love windmills. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #56 on: 25 September, 2013, 10:16:20 pm »
I had windmill-based nightmares, once.  But that was because of the book, The Windmill Man, and its horrid illustrations.

I now love windmills. :)

Have you been to Holgate?

http://www.holgatewindmill.org/

It's brilliant when they've got the sails turning, a couple of times a month (not winter).  The feeling of power when the sails turn is amazing, and you can go right up and see the workings. And it's on a roundabout in a surburban street!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 26 September, 2013, 07:55:29 am »
No, I haven't.  I'll make a point of it in future.
Getting there...

« Reply #58 on: 26 September, 2013, 10:10:05 pm »
No, I haven't.  I'll make a point of it in future.

Well worth a visit, I think.

The funny thing is how it appears and disappears completely as you cycle to and from it. You'd think it would be visible from miles around, but it hides. 

The view from the top is superb - we think it's about level with the top of the Minster tower, but as it's on a hill, there aren't so many steps to climb to get up there.

(and it's not too far from the NRM, so that's a whole day taken care of!)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 26 September, 2013, 10:22:12 pm »
The funny thing is how it appears and disappears completely as you cycle to and from it. You'd think it would be visible from miles around, but it hides.

Is it related to Drax power station?  :D

LEE

« Reply #60 on: 27 September, 2013, 11:30:08 am »
Stand by for some overwhelming nostalgia (for the fifty-somethings among us)

I didn't realise that I knew this off by heart until now, nor how deep-rooted it is in me.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GTIWWupaaZE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GTIWWupaaZE&rel=1</a>