Author Topic: -1 for the rabbits  (Read 3182 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
-1 for the rabbits
« on: 26 June, 2009, 01:48:59 pm »
Cycling into work today, a little rabbit scampered out of the verge, straight under my front wheel.

There was a nasty crunching sound, but when I looked back, there was just a still little ball of fur lying on the road.  :'(

So, what have you killed today?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Re: -1 for the rabbits
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:50:53 pm »
I had one of those incidents last week. :'(

Tim now insists on calling my MTB "The Bunny Slayer". ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:52:37 pm »
At least it was quick. I still remember having to stamp on a squirrel I found twitching about by the roadside.
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:59:55 pm »

Did you take it home for the ferts?

Nom, nom, nom...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:02:34 pm »

Nom, nom, nom...

No, it crawled into a briar patch and wouldn't come out.

Plus, given it had been sitting in the middle of a busy bridleway before I hit it, I suspect it wasn't healthy and fit for consumption.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

rae

« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:12:30 pm »
I will probably slot a few rabbits this evening - I have a request from the cook for a couple of mid size "fryers".  Tiddlers are "roasters" and big uns are "pie-ers".

Don't reverse over them, just pull their necks and squeeze the guts out.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:22:06 pm »
After cycling back home, I looked across to where I'd committed the evil deed, but the road was bare.

Either the rabbit had had a Lazarus moment, something bigger had come along to eat it, or the torrential rain had swept it down into the sewer.

Ah well, the circle of life rolls on.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:24:37 pm »
I will probably slot a few rabbits this evening - I have a request from the cook for a couple of mid size "fryers".  Tiddlers are "roasters" and big uns are "pie-ers".

Don't reverse over them, just pull their necks and squeeze the guts out.

Excellent killing instructions, but this was just a baby - only a couple of mouthfuls.

PS Good to see you back rae.

rae

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:29:35 pm »
 ;D

The tiddlers are the tastiest - saddle of tender rabbit, yummy.  I only kill the tiddlers when they're in the garden (they eat bloody everything), I let them grow into bigger bunnies in the fields, for later harvesting. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:42:03 pm »
Cycling into work today, a little rabbit scampered out of the verge, straight under my front wheel.

There was a nasty crunching sound, but when I looked back, there was just a still little ball of fur lying on the road.  :'(

So, what have you killed today?

I tried that with a badger last week. I lost.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2009, 12:04:09 pm »
Bambi and I nearly had a head to head the weekend before last. There I was tootling along a bridleway on the North Downs, when there was a rustling in the bushes.

Out popped a young deer, about as far away from my front wheel as this monitor is from me. He skedaddled, I braked, and on we went on our separate journeys.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2009, 08:15:55 am »
Yesterday's ride was notable for the number of dead rabbits seen.  There must have been several hundred... :-\
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2009, 08:46:47 am »
The most frequent animal vs. cycle interaction that I have is rabbits.  It is worse possibly due to the times I cycle in that I start just before the commuter rush hour and the animal rush hour is just ending.  As I use rural roads I see many rabbits daily.  I am yet to hit one.  I come close but they generally jink and jive out of the way.

« Reply #13 on: 28 June, 2009, 07:24:16 pm »

Nom, nom, nom...

No, it crawled into a briar patch and wouldn't come out.
Like the squirrel I once ran over in similar circumstances. Heard a crack which I think was its spine, stopped & looked back & saw it dragging itself by its forelegs into a patch of nettles. I decided that chasing it to put it out of its misery would probably make its suffering even worse, & rode on with a heavy heart.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2009, 10:15:17 am »
There was a perfectly healthy-looking rabbit sitting in the middle of the fast lane of the M48 on the approach to the Severn Bridge yesterday afternoon, facing serenely into the flow of traffic.  What struck me as odd was how far it had travelled from any vegetation to get up onto the bridge structure - or had it hitched a lift in someone's wheel arch?

rae

« Reply #15 on: 30 June, 2009, 12:15:49 am »
Almost certainly mixie.   Any rabbit that is oblivious to danger will inevitably be riddled with mixie and it is bold because it has been blinded and its swollen brain can't think straight anymore.  The best thing you can do for them is kill them. 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 30 June, 2009, 08:24:03 am »
Almost certainly mixie.   Any rabbit that is oblivious to danger will inevitably be riddled with mixie and it is bold because it has been blinded and its swollen brain can't think straight anymore.  The best thing you can do for them is kill them. 

You also see this behaviour in town and city centres across the country at club chucking out time, any Friday or Saturday.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2009, 06:49:05 pm »
-1 for the rabbits here too. Mine broke yesterday.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2009, 07:11:04 pm »
:'(
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #19 on: 05 July, 2009, 08:16:21 pm »
-1 for the rabbits here too. Mine broke yesterday.

Should be more gentle with it!!