Author Topic: Seagull problem  (Read 1556 times)

Seagull problem
« on: 29 July, 2009, 07:07:19 pm »
The estate of flats where live has a seagull problem. They are nesting on the flat roof, we can't afford netting etc and I don't think the council are interested as they are private flats. Hey, ho. I can live with that, though the being woken at dawn is a nuisance.

However when I left for work this morning there was a young gull on my balcony. Got home and it's still here. It can't take off, it can't hop up onto the 4 ft wall of the balcony and one of it's wings doesn't seem to be folding properly.  Tons of crap everywhere of course  >:(

What to do ?   Try to catch it,   chuck it off the balcony & hope it learns to fly before it hits the ground ?   Try to put it onto the part of the flat that leads to the roof where it's relatives are ?

Look for seagull recipes ?  ;D   

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Seagull problem
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2009, 07:52:43 pm »
Oh god, I don't know! I remember a colleague calling the RSPCA about a wounded seagull and they weren't interested, said to just leave it. Lovely. And not an option, if it's on your balcony!

If you could get it to the roof that would be a start, I suppose. Or a least down to the ground. But then I guess a cat will get it!

This must be my least useful post ever - but you have my sympathy! And they drive me mad at dawn, too - there's loads round here.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2009, 08:00:04 pm »
See if you can hire a hawk - Rolls Royce powered or feathered variety - either should work.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2009, 08:09:15 pm »
If as you say it has a broken wing then either keep it as a pet or put it out of its misery

« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2009, 08:28:50 pm »
Grabbed and put it on the edge of the balcony, it tried to fly and went splat from 4 floors up.

It was still alive and able to waddle off before I could get downstairs and kill it though  :'(   

I seem to have drawn every gull in the area to me. I've been dive bombed before (Skuas & Terns in Iceland) but not on my own balcony.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2009, 10:05:45 am »
I seem to have drawn every gull in the area to me.
[img height=382 width=396]http://thegazz.com/gblogs/karinfuller/files/2008/08/the-birds.jpg[/img]

Maybe you need, Hawk Force!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2009, 10:08:37 am »
I seem to have drawn every gull in the area to me.

'I get all the gulls, I get all the gulls' </Calvin Harris>

aaaand I get my coat. ;)
Getting there...