Author Topic: Pigeon deterrent....  (Read 7191 times)

Pigeon deterrent....
« on: 26 June, 2013, 08:21:53 am »
We have a trampoline enclosure like this...

Which turns out to be a perfect pigeon perch and the green spring matting of the trampoline - poo receptacle.

Suggestions re.  something ('pigeon friendly') to attach to the lateral pole-foam bit to stop them perching?  Could try spikes but probably need ~8-10m.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Pigeon deterrent....
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2013, 08:33:06 am »
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:52:49 am »
The office I used to work at got a guy with one of these down about every six weeks to give our pigeons a workout

http://www.birds-of-north-america.net/Harris-s_Hawk.html

To be honest it didn't seem to have a long term effect on the pigeon population but the local primary schools used to send their kids down to watch it and talk to the handler so some good there.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2013, 12:05:15 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REALISTIC-LARGE-FLYING-FALCON-DECOY-BIRD-RODENT-PEST-REPELLER-SCARER-DETERRENT-/150991157621

The farmers round us used some Kite Kites* during recent sowing, no idea how effective they were but they looked good. On tall sticks so they self-launched when the wind blew.

Failing that, spikes where they perch? :demon:

* ie a kite on a string in the shape of a red kite the bird.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2013, 07:31:09 pm »
It's going to have to be spikes I think.  Not sure how good these will be.

Gross-out image here...
(click to show/hide)

Local cats use the foam uprights as scratchingposts too.  But am trying to source some new, and will cable tie flexible plastic webbing round them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2013, 08:00:04 pm »
Just think, in a few years time that gross-out image could be of teenage puke  ;D

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2013, 08:48:26 pm »
The office I used to work at got a guy with one of these down about every six weeks to give our pigeons a workout

http://www.birds-of-north-america.net/Harris-s_Hawk.html

To be honest it didn't seem to have a long term effect on the pigeon population but the local primary schools used to send their kids down to watch it and talk to the handler so some good there.

There's a chap who works at the local tip who's got a 'arris 'awk. On the days he's got it with him there's not a seagull in 100m of the place. When he hasn't you can't move for the buggers.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »
We want to encourage the garden birds generally - just not to poo on the trampoline...    ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2013, 11:06:23 pm »
Give them something better (higher?  I'm not a pigeon, so have no idea what they like) to perch on?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2013, 10:27:57 am »
Give them something better (higher?  I'm not a pigeon, so have no idea what they like) to perch on?

If our garden is anything to go by, 6' high fences so that they can poo on our decking...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:30:41 am »
Why are they choosing to perch on the trampoline? Is there a food source such as bird feeders nearby? Can anything be moved?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #12 on: 27 June, 2013, 06:14:05 pm »
You could build them their pigeon-sized trampoline to play on?

« Reply #13 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:15:55 pm »
You know what would happen...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:47:27 pm »
I spend a lot of time watching pigeons in gardens.  (Yes, I do have more important things to do).  Over the course of a day, they perch on everything perchable, so providing alternatives won't work.

I think you'll have to try those spike things, or cover the whole thing with a sheet, or obtain a trained hawk like Wimbledon use in the tennis club.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:49:25 pm »
Lasers?

« Reply #16 on: 28 June, 2013, 08:08:50 am »
I spend a lot of time watching pigeons in gardens.  (Yes, I do have more important things to do).  Over the course of a day, they perch on everything perchable, so providing alternatives won't work.

I think you'll have to try those spike things, or cover the whole thing with a sheet, or obtain a trained hawk like Wimbledon use in the tennis club.

At least the pigeon poo is never on the trampoline itself only the green border.   There are a number of tree perching options, probably not quite so attractive as the trampoline poles though - the netting may become second choice though - not sure.  I'm just wondering whether the plastic spikes will be flexible enough to be able to cable tie to the curved poles. 

We (& neighbours) do feed the birds too - peanuts, mixed seed etc.  Hanging feeders mainly though.   Noticed pigeons recently collecting sticks beneath the tree.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 28 June, 2013, 08:59:10 pm »
Here's what they use at Guys Hospital:

Male Harris Hawk.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 28 June, 2013, 09:37:42 pm »
In West Brom they have a recording of a kestrel on an endless loop.  Presumably the intention is to irritate the pigeons into going somewhere else.  It doesn't seem to work.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #19 on: 01 July, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »
Been watching more pigeons (and collared doves, who are just slim pigeons with fancy neck attire).

The females land on all sorts of sub-optimal things when being hassled by males, then the males land besides them, then the females take off again, and so on, for ages, wasting all the energy they've spent the morning eating for.

[Insert human parallel here].
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #20 on: 04 July, 2013, 09:53:26 am »
A pub near us has those spike things on a sort of ledge above the door to stop pigeons.
It has not really worked.
They have used the spikes as one wall of a nest, building the nest behind them wedged between the spikes and the wall and now there is more poo than ever! Plus squeaking baby pigeons.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #21 on: 04 July, 2013, 09:57:36 am »
I read that you should put olive oil on the baby pigeons.

« Reply #22 on: 04 July, 2013, 12:07:01 pm »
I read that you should put olive oil on the baby pigeons.

Along with a little garlic and juniper berries :thumbsup:

Andy, you know where there is an owl of the plastic variety  ;D

« Reply #23 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:03:00 am »

I've noticed pigeons testing it/forgetting/not realising something's different and actually sitting in the spikes for a few seconds before going elsewhere; so far so good.  The question is, where will the next favourite perch be? 

Bought these.

fuzzy

« Reply #24 on: 19 July, 2013, 03:39:05 pm »
It looks like you festooned the tops with a shitload of zip ties which you left untrimmed.....