Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 95947 times)

The pet-specific bad news thread
« on: 18 January, 2011, 10:33:49 am »
Pets, although important family members, aren't people, and problems relating to them, although sometimes heart-breaking, can seem trivial in comparison to the tribulations faced by hoomin beans. So I thought a pet-specific "Bad News" thread might be appropriate.

Anyway, Wellesley the ferret is in a bad way. He's always been fat and cheerful, but late last year he developed a peculiarly distended belly, and was diagnosed with adrenal disease. The vet began hormonal treatment, and we hoped all would be well. Then he got flu over Christmas (he caught it from Kitty, who was severely ill and also lost an eye in a fight with a cat), and then he began to waste away and not eat. We're pretty sure he has insulinoma - an insulin-secreting tumour on the pancreas - which can't be surgically treated given his age and condition. We're currently having to force-feed him every couple of hours, and we're due to pick up some pills to alleviate his symptoms later today. But he can't be cured, and he's going to need constant supervision even if he does start eating of his own accord. 
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:55:19 pm »
Sorry to hear that Kathy,

it sounds like your mustelids are going through the wars at the moment though Kitty may have started her own battle.

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2011, 10:50:47 am »
Pets are quite binary, aren't they? Wellesley spent most of Monday semi-conscious and on a drip, and looking so emaciated as to be skeletal. We were having to syringe food in to his mouth. Today, his body weight is 20% greater, and he's cheerfully troughing down about 3 x the RDA of hi-calorie recovery food each day.  ::-) :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:32:11 am »
Yes, I know that feeling.

Step one, elderly cat looking sorry for itself, not eating/drinking loosing weight.
Step two, put unusually docile cat in basket and take to vet.
Step three, vet diagnoses raised temp but no obvious cause. Administers antibiotics and steroid injection.
Step four, take cat home, open basket and watch cat disappear outside.
Step five watch cat return to garden with wild rabbit hanging from mouth.

Rinse and repeat on a 12 month basis.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2011, 06:30:28 pm »
Aye.

Tuesday: Charlie (8 months old) looking a bit quiet
Wednesday night: Charlie looking very sorry for himself, bit of a temperature, listless, a bit of pathetic squeaking when picked up. Me thinking "bloody hell, at this rate I'll be at the vet's first thing..."
Thursday 0600:  Looking a bit better, so we decide to leave him be for the day, tucked up in his basket.
Thursday evening: Wolfs dinner, beats Bonnington over the head, then tries to look pathetic again.

The previous time, he went and licked something odd somewhere and came back with his eyes crossed, stoned off his trolleys, resulting in a day's incarceration with an i.v. in his foreleg.  The vet decided he was ok when he became 'too wriggly' to take his temperature any more.

Cats.  ::-)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2011, 06:48:06 pm »
Pets are quite binary, aren't they?

They are

Cats especially are very good at appearing quite well when they're really not.  It does mean that when they appear unwell they're usually very unwell.

« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2011, 01:00:23 am »
Mum had a horse put down with "colic" yesterday morning after they'd been up all night with her. Dad did the deed. I've phoned but really want to give them both a massive hug.

I'm not particularly attached to the horse but they were, she was a useful jumper and they did a fair bit of Trec in the seven or eight years they had her. She was 34 and had a good innings with them.

Big hole.

« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2011, 12:55:32 pm »
Well, Wellesley's back at the stage he was in the OP: refusing food. Medication has made no improvement this time, so it looks like he's nearing the end.  :(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2011, 02:26:33 pm »
Sorry to hear about Wellesley.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2011, 02:31:05 pm »
Oh poor ol' sossige :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »
Took kitties to the vet today. Vet tentatively agreed with our suspicions of senility and knackered kidneys in Mojo.
Blood test results tomorrow to confirm  :-\

« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2011, 09:54:25 pm »
Took kitties to the vet today. Vet tentatively agreed with our suspicions of senility and knackered kidneys in Mojo.
Blood test results tomorrow to confirm  :-\

:( Poor Mojo.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

barakta

« Reply #12 on: 03 August, 2011, 11:18:01 pm »
Aww poor Mojo.  Sorry to hear this.

« Reply #13 on: 03 August, 2011, 11:30:56 pm »
The forum moggies don't seem to be doing too well at the moment.  Poor Mojo indeed. :(
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:19:43 pm »
So, no to liver disease and diabetes. Yes to above normal kidney enzymes. They want a urine sample now. Quite how we're supposed to get that in a 2 cat household, I'm not sure, but I figured it was less cruel than sending a confused kitteh to spend the day at the vets waiting for a pee straight off the bat.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2011, 05:56:20 pm »
Took a tube of cat's wee to the vet's this evening.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 09 August, 2011, 04:06:26 pm »
Pee analysis says yes to knackered kidleys, so Mojo will be going on ace inhibitors and new food. Paws crossed that coming off the struvite food doesn't have any adverse effects.

« Reply #17 on: 09 August, 2011, 04:24:17 pm »
Oh dear.  :(

« Reply #18 on: 09 August, 2011, 05:15:03 pm »
 :( How will it work for feeding the two cats seperately and ensuring they don't pinch each others grub?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 09 August, 2011, 07:33:13 pm »
They are both eating the struvite food and the vet said it will do Pippin no harm (and may actually be a good thing given her advancing years) to eat the kidley food as well.
Hopefully they eat it as happily as the struvite food, and Mojo doesn't get any crystals. Better do it slowly too or Pippin may get the squits.....!

Ho hum, hopefully get that sorted soon, more urine and bloods in 4 weeks and if that all looks ok we'll start looking at the dementia medication.

Kerching!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #20 on: 13 August, 2011, 10:05:50 am »
The vet is coming round after 3pm today to visit Lucy and, we think, to have her put to sleep. Lucy is our 13 year old Weimaraner who was supposed to have died four years ago following a mast cell tumour but it seems like it's finally got her as she was very unwell last night and is not happy this morning.

We've expected it for four years but it's still really sad. :-(

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #21 on: 13 August, 2011, 10:15:44 am »
Oh no. :(

So sorry to hear that Helen, having gone through it recently myself, I know exactly how you feel.  I never met her, but from what you've said, she seems to be a fine dog, and has obviously had a great life, and somewhat longer than was expected.

<Hugs>
Actually, it is rocket science.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22 on: 13 August, 2011, 11:03:41 am »
Just took her out on a short walk and she doesn't seem too bad - but diarroea that is mostly blood and vomiting are not good signs generally. She's sleeping now and I'm trying to decide whether to phone my mum to tell her beforehand.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #23 on: 13 August, 2011, 01:39:44 pm »
Lucy is no more, we all agreed it was best that she was put down. Very sad.

barakta

« Reply #24 on: 13 August, 2011, 01:50:15 pm »
I'm sorry for your loss.