Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by Mrs Pingu on Today at 10:37:12 pm »
The stair stringers, part elebenty. Sanded down the 2 coats of filler I'd applied previously. What a mess.
Then (after hoovering) I applied a teeny bit more filler on the missing bits. Can nearly see the bottom of the 1L tub of filler - that's never happened before.

Question - has anyone found a quiet vacuum solution suitable for running inside a home for a prolonged period of time while sanding? My Google-fu has failed to find anything affordable.

For my workshop I have a 45€ Titan vacuum cleaner which is bloody noisy, so I keep it on the far side of a wall and run the flex plus N metres of hose in through the wall. It has a rocker switch which is permanently on and it plugs into a remote switch in the workshop so that I have suction on demand and the neighbours get the racket.  ;D

Vacuum-cleaner extension hose is cheap and so are connectors. You still need to connect to your sander but you can get stepped reducers that should work, possibly with the addition of a few layers of masking tape.

So if I understand correctly, a noisy vacuum far away with a very long hose?
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by Flite on Today at 10:23:33 pm »
Well done both of you
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by Feanor on Today at 10:21:15 pm »
100k club ride, a bit spicy.

One p*ncture, on a tubeless which had not been topped up with sealant in years. Not even sealant dust. Tube installed, to much ribbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11337606790

On The Road / Re: 'War on Motorist'
« Last post by CrazyEnglishTriathlete on Today at 10:10:35 pm »
I have just been moved into another constituency by the latest boundary changes.  The MP of my new constituency send round a newsletter to all his new consituents which featured an article by a local councillor 'I believe we should be able to drive our cars how we want, when we want, where we want' rant.

I will stop there as I have no polite words....

... but this guidance shows just how badly they have broken government.
Rides and Touring / Re: Isle of Wight Randonee - 5th May 2024
« Last post by GdS on Today at 10:05:34 pm »
I rode it but started from Wooton so unlikely I'd have seen you. The island seemed to have its own weather today which after finally drying up in Freshwater deluged after Cowes. Twice the number of riders since last time I rode on the day pre-Covid although I have ridden the route every year. Cracking day out!

and I lost my coveted badge  :'(
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 09:48:55 pm »
Ace of Spades - Motorhead
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 09:14:01 pm »
Ten Seconds Of Forever ~ Hawkwind
OT Gallery / Re: Readers' Instruments
« Last post by Ham on Today at 08:36:16 pm »
Step away from the zero fret! Without special tools you’d be lucky to get it out cleanly and almost certainly won’t get it back in again.

For now stick to changes you can reverse and for the time being make the same adjustments to both sides; you can consider a tapered shim once the buzzing is sorted. Action already sounds a little high. It’s conventional to measure at the 12th fret and I prefer just under 2mm on the bass.

But take it slowly, see what affect a single piece of credit card has.

Ah! You were confusing me with someone who was going to do a proper job! I was thinking of getting a bit of shim material, curving it around a rod of the same dimension as the fret and sliding it between the fret and the top 3 strings (or maybe all), eminently reversible, if potentially worthless.

As far as the action is concerned, I was measuring @ 14 as that seems to be where there is an angle between neck and body, the height doesn't bother me too much as my Eko Maccaferri-alike that I've had since the 70's is about 5mm @12, but has such  a beautiful tone and history that I can't be parted.

What about the frets themselves? Given its age, I would assume they're pretty tiny. Any visible wear, or signs of lifting? If there are any high/low spots, it's going to remain pretty unplayable whatever you do to the action...

The guitar hasn't been used at all for about 40 years to my certain knowledge, and I doubt it was used much before that. Tbh, I only found out he had a guitar after he slipped off. No wear evident, I spent some time polishing the frets before re-stringing.

The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Peter on Today at 08:29:59 pm »
At least Lancashire have put up a fight.  I do hope the division continues to be this interesting.
The Sporting Life / Re: Liverpool
« Last post by Peter on Today at 08:28:16 pm »
What the Hell is wrong with the BBC football editor?  Their website headline is "Liverpool THRASH Tottenham".  They persistently say THRASH if any team scores 4 or more.  The actual score was 4 - 2, which is effectively 2 - 0 and by no means a THRASHING.  And I don't support either team.  I'm so lucky to be old enough to have read reports from Hugh McIlvanney, Michael Parkinson, John Arlott and even as far back as Neville Cardus.

Yours sincerely,

Old Bloke
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10