Author Topic: Hare. Hare, hare Krishna, hare...  (Read 690 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Hare. Hare, hare Krishna, hare...
« on: 30 October, 2009, 04:44:15 am »
Yes, this does belong in Arts and Entertainment, because it's about music, okay?

I was woken up early this morning by said chant. Except that in this case it was not a chant but a melodic song. It sounded like about 3 men singing and a similar number accompanying on a variety of percussion instruments as they proceeded down our street. It was certainly nothing like the drone normally heard from the orange-robed ones at airports and parks around the world.

I assumed they were on the way to the recently (and probably illegally) built temple sandwiched between the hairdresser's and the posh apartments, but when they passed by again about half an hour later I saw they were going that way this time. I also saw that they were not the normal Krishna devotees, but Sikhs. Quite why Sikhs - who are monotheistic - should be singing in praise of an avatar of Vishnu the Preserver, I don't know, but maybe they were associated with the Iskcon (International Society for Krishna Consciousness) Temple here.

Anyway, Sikhs have a reputation for tasty food, canny commerce, and fine music. And they proved it (but I was still late for work!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.