Author Topic: Does anyone have a recommendation for a 4 person light tent? Thanks.  (Read 2995 times)

Hello all,

I am planning next years adventures. Normally we camp in a range of bell tents which are stupidly heavy and take up a lot of space. However, they are the only way that I was able to get Mrs GC to try camping - so I'll go with the Pinterest camping thing.

Mini GC and I camp in tiny tents and things strung up from trees. These are lighter and more fun, but not comfortable enough for Mrs GC.

For a trans-Europe train based adventure (possible with a little car use): So, what I need is a tent that can be carried a couple of miles, so light and compact, but not 'tiny tent' light - however, realistically, only one of the group is going to be carrying the tent. It needs to be large enough for the 3 of us with space to move around and stand (a bit).

And also, and I know this is a personal choice thing, but it must pitch fly and inner at the same time.

Thanks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Does anyone have a recommendation for a 4 person light tent? Thanks.
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2022, 12:08:15 pm »
3-4 man tents that are roomy are going to be heavy, I'm afraid.

Vango do a tent - the Vango Skye - that's about 1.3m tall, so easier to move around in but you'll still be bent over, and which weighs in at 7kg.   We've got the slightly older version of this and it's stood the test of time.

You can get lighter... but they'll be more expensive.  What's your budget?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2022, 12:31:30 pm »
Thanks Regulator.

I'd hope for around 6kg (preferably less) and to spend about £300 (preferably less).

I'd not considered the Vango tents.

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2022, 12:40:18 pm »
I cycle camped with 4 children and 0 other adults with a Vango 8 man tent. It went in the trailer. It was heavy but luckily Suffolk is Mostly Flat.

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2022, 12:51:38 pm »
I'd say that was the perfect size tent for 4 children. Personally, I would bring another tent along so I would be able to sleep on the other side of the field/hedge/campsite.

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2022, 12:52:56 pm »
This from alpkit caught my eye, think was on sale at time but no personal experience

https://alpkit.com/products/axiom-4

Regulator

« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2022, 01:02:35 pm »
This from alpkit caught my eye, think was on sale at time but no personal experience

I've been in an Axion and they're very nice.  However, they're heavy (about 9kg).

I do rate Alpkit stuff (I have two of their tents and some of their walking poles) but I know they're a bit Marmite for some people...

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2022, 01:09:05 pm »

Barakta and I have a long-since-discontinued Decathlon 4-person tunnel tent for car camping (her impairments mean she really needs a tent with standing room, and preferably a rigid chair or similar to haul herself up on).  It's cheap and heavy (somewhere north of 12kg) and starting to show its age, so I've kept an eye on possible replacements, and the Axiom would seem to fit the bill.

Large 4-person tents with a single sleeping compartment seem relatively rare, compared to the two-person-sleeping-compartment-at-each-end approach.  Which is probably better if you're a family of 4, but not so useful if you're a couple who need a lot of room.

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2022, 01:20:09 pm »
https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-3/WG109-WG116.html

These are bigger versions of my old Shangri-La 3.   Inner first pitching, but lots of room for the weight.  Watch the video to get an idea of the size.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2022, 02:14:36 pm »
I am a fan of non-bendy pole tents.

I seem to have fallen down a rabbit hole of OutdoorStation videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoGxZkkWOLE

« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2022, 02:39:23 pm »
My favourite would be a Hilleberg Nallo 4GT for space Vs weight but I would indeed prefer the Hilleberg Keron 4GT which is a bit heavier but has other benefits.

Regulator

« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2022, 02:41:55 pm »
My favourite would be a Hilleberg Nallo 4GT for space Vs weight but I would indeed prefer the Hilleberg Keron 4GT which is a bit heavier but has other benefits.

Yebbut you've gotta have a spare kidney to sell to get a Hilleberg...   ;)

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2022, 02:44:11 pm »
I am prepared to leave the central heating off all winter just to afford a Keron 4GT.  👍