Author Topic: Matt LeBlanc - Top Gear  (Read 6442 times)

Matt LeBlanc - Top Gear
« on: 04 February, 2016, 01:07:52 pm »
Has been announced as one of the new presenters.

He won't be very fast, always being stuck in second gear...

Not my joke but I like it !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Matt LeBlanc - Top Gear
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2016, 01:12:15 pm »
It's PorsCHA!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2016, 03:56:57 pm »
Not watching. Not even if $insert-sleb-of-choice is naked and drizzled in runny honey...

It ceased to be a programme about cars a long time ago (see threads passim) well before Chris 'Hey! Why don't we do this? NOW!' Evans got the gig.* Now they've added someone else who is pretending he isn't middle aged.

*Must be an absolute nightmare to try and keep up with, he's got the attention span of a...

What was I saying?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2016, 04:03:02 pm »
On reflection, I wouldn't mind seeing an older, more jaded, and more sarcastic, Chandler Byng reviewing motor cars.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2016, 04:15:31 pm »
Being old enough to remember William Woollard review whatever dross Rover/Austin/British Leyland were putting out, and having actually enjoyed the last few years of big kids dicking around in cars, I'm looking forward to Top Gear and whatever they come up with at Amazon.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2016, 04:44:00 pm »
Since it became a fully scripted and acted comedy show the logical conclusion is that they get comedy actors to play the parts.

It had become the natural replacement for "Last of the Summer Wine", lacking only a 3 blokes sliding downhill in a bathtub episode.

I bet £5 there's a "Doh!  The steering wheel is on the other side" joke being scripted right now.

- Gasolline vs Petrol joke

- "I can't fit in this tiny British car" joke

.. and so on.

Chris Evans and Danny Baker always fancied themselves as funny script writers for TFI Friday so I expect more of the (dreadful) same.

Having sad that, it's got to be better than Demot O'Leary's "Getaway Car" TV show.  The phrase "Car Crash TV" seems incredibly apt for this no-hoper of a show.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »
LeBlanc's got $60 million in the bank, so he doesn't need to do this gig. It's a chance to indulge in a hobby, and get paid even more money.

You could argue that the money would be better spent on a motoring journalist, but cars are now domestic appliances. They're all reliable, all do the job. There's just various status grades. Reporting on the cars isn't very interesting in itself.

I've recently watched the official PBP DVD, and 'Der Brevet'. They don't bother much with the bikes, the people are more interesting. They also use some of the filming conventions that Top Gear has pioneered. It would need a celebrity to hold the attention of Joe Public, probably that Guy Martin bloke.

hillbilly

« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2016, 06:50:09 pm »
He will probably have cut a deal for a % of the global sales and merchandise. 

I think it's a good choice.  Along with Sabine and the rumoured journalist. I'm still cold on the lead presenter though.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8 on: 04 February, 2016, 09:24:18 pm »
Who is he?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2016, 09:27:03 pm »
Who is he?

An American actor from television and film, ma'am. Wowbagger should be able to fill you in on the details.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2016, 11:57:32 pm »
Not watching. Not even if $insert-sleb-of-choice is naked and drizzled in runny honey...
Not if they did that to the middle-aged Yank bloke or that ginger tosser, but I can think of some I'd tune in to see in that state. Sabine Schmitz, for example . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2016, 09:45:38 am »
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #12 on: 06 February, 2016, 11:04:27 am »
I'm still cold on the lead presenter though.

I enjoyed him on " Don't forget your toothbrush" and some of the original TFI, but always logged him on radio, and can't really see him making of TG what Clarkson & co. did - namely a hugely successful international franchise, one which I generally enjoyed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 06 February, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »

I enjoyed him on " Don't forget your toothbrush" and some of the original TFI, but always logged him on radio, and can't really see him making of TG what Clarkson & co. did - namely a hugely successful international franchise, one which I generally enjoyed.

TG is already a hugely successful international franchise, which proves that Clarkson & co are not essential for that success.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 06 February, 2016, 02:44:37 pm »

TG is already a hugely successful international franchise, which proves that Clarkson & co are not essential for that success.

Though when given the choice some parts of Abroad have shown a preference for the imported version over the local one.  The Russian TG was canned midway through the first series.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #17 on: 07 February, 2016, 06:41:26 pm »
Fortunately the TV has an OFF button.

hillbilly

« Reply #18 on: 07 February, 2016, 06:53:59 pm »
You watch it on telly?  How quaint  8)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #19 on: 08 February, 2016, 03:25:32 pm »
You watch it on telly?  How quaint  8)

I actually have at my disposal several different formats not to watch it on.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #20 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:09:11 pm »
It goes from worse to dire:
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-05/f1-star-eddie-jordan-poised-to-join-chris-evans-and-matt-leblanc-as-new-top-gear-presenter

I thought that Matt LeBlanc was quite a good choice; he's shown over the years that he can be both self-deprecating and interesting. And he can drive quickly, which is presumably part of the job-spec. But Eddie Jordan and Chris Evans are out of the same mould and I find them exhausting (SWIDT?) and mildly irritating to listen to, even though I actually like both of them individually. The two together on the same show would be way OTT!

« Reply #21 on: 09 February, 2016, 11:03:20 am »
I might be wrong and have no way of knowing if I've made this up or if CE has said something on his radio show - which I do quite like but didn't bother with TFI - but I think we need to consider the likelihood that this is going to be removed from the old format of three middle aged blokes pratting about in cars - a format I liked at the time, when it was fresh and new.

Top Gear has got to do something different and I suspect it's going to go more down the route of the One Show as an example with different host presenters of magazine type articles each week all tied to together with CE as main presenter which will mean Matt LeBlanc or Eddie Jordan may well not be on it every week which with a bit of luck will remove some of the repetition that in the end people were starting to get bored of even before Clarkson punched someone.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #22 on: 11 February, 2016, 10:37:53 am »
Well, according to Gizmodo, there will be 7 presenters....

Chris Evans
Matt LeBlanc

Eddie Jordan
Chris Harris
Sabine Schmitz
Rory Reid
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #23 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:03:51 am »
Crikey.... This has gone from 3 slightly xenophobic & sexist buffoons to a sort of GAP advert.

Sings new theme tune - "...I'd like to teach the World to sing..in perfect harmony..."

Will they still haul any available attractive young women out of the audience to stand behind the presenter I wonder?

Next thing you know they'll be delivering food-aid to Syria as their motoring challenge (rather than poking fun at the locals "who...hahahaha...own ...hahahaaha...a Goat..and hoo..hoo..wear silly...haahahaha ...HATS")

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 14 March, 2016, 05:01:50 pm »
No Cenotaph footage to be shown.
It is simpler than it looks.