Author Topic: The Man Who Cycled The Americas  (Read 9395 times)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: The Man Who Cycled The Americas
« Reply #25 on: 25 March, 2010, 12:26:26 pm »
The scenary was absolutely stunning though. Made me want to get my bike on a plane and just go for it. Will have to think about some more fun cycling once PBP is out of the way.

50 miles per day touring is definitely the way to go.
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #26 on: 25 March, 2010, 02:31:04 pm »
The scenary was absolutely stunning though. Made me want to get my bike on a plane and just go for it. Will have to think about some more fun cycling once PBP is out of the way.

He was on some fairly soul-destroying roads at times though.  Dead-straight for, seemingly, hundreds of miles with only the bow-wave of trucks for company.

I once spent an entire day on the A30 out of Cornwall (Day 1 of my LEJoG), a similar experience, and it ranks as my worst ever cycling experience.  Even a recent 10 minute spell on the A303 was bad enough.

I think that's where he's got me beaten.  I can ride country lanes all day/week/month/year but riding the hard-shoulder of A-roads and "Motorways" would have me quitting in a couple of days, in a quivering wreck.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
« Reply #27 on: 25 March, 2010, 03:55:06 pm »
Yeah - but he got to do grizzly Bear spotting to keep himself entertained  :o

« Reply #28 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »
Alaska / Canada would have to be right at the top of cycle touring location for me - if it wasn't for the bears.

Dogs get on my bloody nerves, but i would be quite confident that it would "me" in a "me or it" situation.

Not so with one of those beautiful but very fast, very powerful, well-equipped-in-the-tooth-and-claw-department animals!

Good for M.B., i get to watch my dreams on the telly....

« Reply #29 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:25:08 pm »
He exclaimed that he hadn't had a bath in nearly 500 miles. Even grizzly bears have their limits.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #30 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:27:29 pm »
I got bored somewhere around the point where he 'tubing' in Canada. No doubt it was a long way though. It was a bit of a jolt when the narrative fast forwarded a couple of weeks/thousand miles and he was still only halfway down Canada.

« Reply #31 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:45:08 pm »

He was on some fairly soul-destroying roads at times though.  Dead-straight for, seemingly, hundreds of miles with only the bow-wave of trucks for company.

I once spent an entire day on the A30 out of Cornwall (Day 1 of my LEJoG), a similar experience, and it ranks as my worst ever cycling experience.  Even a recent 10 minute spell on the A303 was bad enough.

I think that's where he's got me beaten.  I can ride country lanes all day/week/month/year but riding the hard-shoulder of A-roads and "Motorways" would have me quitting in a couple of days, in a quivering wreck.

My LEJOG A30 experience wasn't too bad, but it was raining as well that day - fortunately the only rain of the two weeks.  :thumbsup:  Had to dry socks under the electric dryer in the gents at Jamaica Inn (when a coach arrived so they could open up) .  I suppose in the end it's the highlights of the whole journey that make up for the not so good bits; but it's all an adventure...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #32 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:51:37 pm »
Thing is, quitting when you are miles from nowhere means riding for a few days to get to a place where quitting is an option. By that time you've talked yourself out of it. Long distance riders learn to deal with it. Well I did anyway.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:54:36 pm »

I think that for the most part his Truck Count was a lot lower than the A30. I could hack a few trucks given nice enough scenery* to look at. But lots would be horrible, and probably ruin it for me

[*Daylight 600k comes to mind.]

Good programme. Felt a bit odd with the mountaineering thrown in, but that was interesting too. Otherwise very like the round-the-world series.

As I said in the Sports Relief thread, this prog is improved hugely by the narration of the modest subject.
(I was amused by his claustrophobia half-way up a mountain in a wilderness - although sounding odd at first, it made perfect sense to me.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:58:51 pm »
long straight roads are OK, it's when they have constant traffic they become 'challenge'.

a road that I'd just ridden

« Reply #35 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:07:04 pm »
Looks great MrN - where are the pics taken?

« Reply #36 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:05:36 pm »
Looks great MrN - where are the pics taken?

I think they were in Colorado, west of the Rockies on our way to Delta, Hwy 92

Google Maps

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #37 on: 27 March, 2010, 02:07:28 pm »
Will have to think about some more fun cycling once PBP is out of the way.

You mean you don't enjoy riding 750 miles in four and a bit days with one eye constantly on the clock and the other looking out for arrows stuck to trees?

Then why do it?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

urban_biker

« Reply #38 on: 29 March, 2010, 04:37:56 pm »
Will have to think about some more fun cycling once PBP is out of the way.

You mean you don't enjoy riding 750 miles in four and a bit days with one eye constantly on the clock and the other looking out for arrows stuck to trees?

Then why do it?

That's a whole different thread ;)

« Reply #39 on: 31 March, 2010, 05:24:38 pm »
Last nights episode... enjoyed it, but, hands up who'd have Mexico top of their list for a cycle tour.  I suppose there's a chance foreigners aren't quite so attractive to the kidnappers/drugs gangs.  The bodge it cycle shop was fun, reminded me of Africa.

« Reply #40 on: 31 March, 2010, 05:26:22 pm »
Enjoyed last night (I missed the first episode). This is a great format; reminds me of the Tropic of Cancer program in fact + bike.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #41 on: 31 March, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »
The bodge it cycle shop was fun, reminded me of Africa

Yes. Was he unlucky to have the headset and BB fail, I wonder, or can it be expected after 7000 miles of a tour like this one?

Enjoyed it all - hope the first episode is on catch-up or similar  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 31 March, 2010, 07:51:30 pm »
... hands up who'd have Mexico top of their list for a cycle tour.
If I was riding from USA to S.America, I can't see many alternatives ... ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #43 on: 31 March, 2010, 09:04:42 pm »
long straight roads are OK, it's when they have constant traffic they become 'challenge'.

a road that I'd just ridden

I would put up my "zen road" pic from Australia again, but Gordon would get upset......
 ;D

« Reply #44 on: 31 March, 2010, 09:38:48 pm »
... hands up who'd have Mexico top of their list for a cycle tour.
If I was riding from USA to S.America, I can't see many alternatives ... ;)

Quite, only if you have to...  Head down and stay off the chillies.

« Reply #45 on: 01 April, 2010, 12:25:11 pm »
I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet.

Does it have the same annoying voiceover saying how many calories he has to eat each day and how that equates to X cheeseburgers?

You sure you hadn't watched it?

Finally got round to watching episode 1.

It was within the first four minutes wasn't it  ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-)

And boy was that a worn tyre!  I know he's fully loaded but I wouldn't have expected a bald marathon plus by the time they showed the shot of it, with major screw sticking out.

« Reply #46 on: 02 April, 2010, 06:48:48 pm »
I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet.

Does it have the same annoying voiceover saying how many calories he has to eat each day and how that equates to X cheeseburgers?

Different voice over man. Same style though

« Reply #47 on: 07 April, 2010, 10:20:35 pm »
Well he did it - the dessert headwind was epic stuff.

I notice Columbia topped the list of places to avoid - when he took to the pacific by boat.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #48 on: 07 April, 2010, 10:37:09 pm »
iPlayer has given up on it so I am half watching Brian Cox instead.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #49 on: 07 April, 2010, 10:37:46 pm »

I notice Columbia topped the list of places to avoid - when he took to the pacific by boat.

Yes.  It wasn't referred to at all and there was no explanation for it's avoidance (although we can guess the reasons).  Alastair Humphreys was also warned against Columbia by the British Embassy but went anyway, and said it was one of the most enjoyable bits of his round-the-world trip.
The sound of one pannier flapping