Author Topic: Spectre (spoiler)  (Read 6432 times)

spindrift

Re: Spectre (spoiler)
« Reply #50 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:47:58 am »
Toggle switches with dymo labels

The what now?

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #51 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:48:36 am »
… I rather think the bounds of credulity* were stretched when the lady on the train queried what they should "Do now?" after the fight scene. Me? After watching that, I thought: "Mmm, a nice relaxing bath methinks," and not some horse-play with the young lady.

*Could be a place on the Moon maybe?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #52 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:58:56 am »
… I rather think the bounds of credulity* were stretched when the lady on the train queried what they should "Do now?" after the fight scene. Me? After watching that, I thought: "Mmm, a nice relaxing bath methinks," and not some horse-play with the young lady.

Better still, a nice relaxing bath with the young lady!

Riggers

« Reply #53 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:01:37 pm »
Get out! Get out at once!! Dirty, dirty.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #54 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:15:15 pm »
Get out! Get out at once!! Dirty, dirty.

:demon:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #55 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:15:50 pm »

And THAT, my friend, is why you will never be a 00 agent.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oscar's dad

« Reply #56 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:18:57 pm »

And THAT, my friend, is why you will never be a 00 agent.

I think, to be fair, there are numerous reasons why Riggers will never be a 00 agent! 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:22:08 pm »
Oh, quite! Any half-competent agent of Smersh would instantly see through his most cunning disguise by means of a simple pipe-tobacco analysis.  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Riggers

« Reply #58 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:25:14 pm »
I will concur with your observation. Example: the other day I picked up an empty picture frame that has (and still is) lying up on the landing. Having picked it up, the glass then slid out the side of the frame and bounced down the stairs. I'm saying "Bugger, bugger" as it did this. It wasn't broken, but I did think: "This wouldn't happen to James Bond."

And in no way is this a 'spoiler' to the latest Bond film, in case anyone is reading this, given the thread title!

rob

« Reply #59 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:40:38 pm »
We took 10 8/9 yr olds to see it on Saturday morning.   We had most of them in black tie (including me).

I enjoyed it and, more importantly, 10 kids sat still and mostly quiet for 2.5hrs

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:52:12 pm »
Really stretching the bounds of credulity with this film. The most far-fetched scene was when Bond borrowed 009's car and tried to use the special gadgets. I mean, did you see them? Toggle switches with dymo labels! Like something out of the 1960s! Oh, hang on... are you saying that was deliberate?

But Bond films are all about style over common sense.  And sometimes there are Ways That Things Should Be Done.  It wouldn't be a proper special gadget without a toggle switch and Dymo label.

(Mental note: Need to buy more Dymo tape)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #61 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:54:54 pm »
I think the Dymo tape was meant to signify the car was a prototype.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #62 on: 10 November, 2015, 01:35:13 pm »
Helicopters don't fly upside down? Next you'll be telling me cars don't have ejector seats.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #63 on: 10 November, 2015, 03:51:15 pm »
Really stretching the bounds of credulity with this film. The most far-fetched scene was when Bond borrowed 009's car and tried to use the special gadgets. I mean, did you see them? Toggle switches with dymo labels! Like something out of the 1960s! Oh, hang on... are you saying that was deliberate?

But Bond films are all about style over common sense.  And sometimes there are Ways That Things Should Be Done.  It wouldn't be a proper special gadget without a toggle switch and Dymo label.

(Mental note: Need to buy more Dymo tape)
Get some Frank Sinatra CDs while you're at it.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #64 on: 10 November, 2015, 04:31:20 pm »
I'm worried about the accountability of the heads of the British secret service. It's all well and good, dying in the line of duty as M did. But to leave a DVD asking a double O agent to assassinate someone based on her instructions from beyond the grave is ludicrous. At no point does Bond ever ask why. She could just have a massive list of people who've pissed her off over the years, her neighbour whose cat annoys her, the man who spilt her drink down the pub etc. It also looks like the video was filmed at M's home after hours, when she could have been hammered.  Bond oscillates between going rogue, and blindly following orders.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:05:21 pm »
We took 10 8/9 yr olds to see it on Saturday morning.   We had most of them in black tie (including me).

I enjoyed it and, more importantly, 10 kids sat still and mostly quiet for 2.5hrs

;D   Classy.

(I wonder if one day, Bond movies will become audience participation affairs - with costumes etc - like Rocky Horror and Sound of Music. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #66 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:15:14 pm »
(Note to self: avoid any cinema showing "Dr No" if mattc is going dressed as Honeychile Rider)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #67 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:42:59 pm »
I wonder if one day, Bond movies will become audience participation affairs - with costumes etc - like Rocky Horror and Sound of Music.

That idea appeals greatly, in the as-long-as-I-don't-have-to-go-to-one sense.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #68 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:53:38 pm »
Compared to Rocky Horror or Sound of Music, Bond offers so much more choice just from the history of the franchise. But at the same time, so few characters! What would be real fun would be to mix all three, surely.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #69 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:13:55 pm »
(Note to self: avoid any cinema showing "Dr No" if mattc is going dressed as Honeychile Rider)

Who would you like me to dress as?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #70 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:15:40 pm »
Dr Noone
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #71 on: 11 November, 2015, 12:45:28 pm »
Major Boothroyd.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #72 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:00:28 pm »
Jill Masterson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #73 on: 11 November, 2015, 05:17:37 pm »
Blofeld's cat.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

red marley

« Reply #74 on: 11 November, 2015, 05:49:39 pm »
If everyone dressed as Blofeld's cat, there'd be pussies galore.