Author Topic: Replacement stretchy o-rings for handlebar mounted gadgets  (Read 1056 times)

Replacement stretchy o-rings for handlebar mounted gadgets
« on: 17 October, 2019, 06:13:10 pm »
I'm after some replacement o-rings for my Quadlock phone mount, as I keep breaking them. They're just simple circular o-rings but the branded replacements are stupid money for what they are.

I figure I can get a drawer full of generic ones for the same price if I figure out the right search terms - what material should I be searching for to get something suitably stretchy?

Re: Replacement stretchy o-rings for handlebar mounted gadgets
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2019, 06:49:11 pm »
I bought nitrile rubber ones and they are fine - I had no idea there were different materials. After a google I suppose viton ones *might* last longer, but the ones I got have lasted longer than the original quadlock rings.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2019, 07:54:56 pm »
I gather that the Quadlock o-rings are EPDM.

EPDM is more resistant to UV and general weathering than Nitrile (though less resistant to petroleum products).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2019, 07:12:25 am »
If you don't need to keep taking the mount on and off then long thin cable ties are a more stable and durable alternative to the o-rings.  A little bit fiddly to fit but once installed they're there for the duration.

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2019, 03:30:49 pm »
I use standard o rings that you can get from any engineering company. They may perish but as got a large box for around a fiver years ago and occasionally actually use them for their proper use as well I don't mind replacing them

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2019, 04:19:20 pm »
I get o-rings from www.bearingboys.co.uk