Author Topic: Yorkshire via Essex 600  (Read 5879 times)

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
Yorkshire via Essex 600
« on: 28 May, 2019, 11:37:31 am »
Still plenty of places on this last chance PBP qualifier starting from Sleaford in Lincolnshire in June. Run on the same day as Fenland Friends 600 and designed to compliment that event. Gives more northern based riders a chance for a northern start

Follows a very similar route to Fenland Friends  but still offering that full East Anglian fenland experience in all its glory.

Likely to be a few meet ups along the way with Fenland Friend riders. Last time it was at Chatteris Green Welly and Boston McDonalds and a few stragglers on the way back from Goole.

Very X rated event. For those wishing luxury there is a Mastons Inn and Travelodge in Spalding, Premier Inn in Boston and a new central Lincoln Travelodge en route at about 400km.

Travelodge in Sleaford at start and finish available

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Yorkshire via Essex 600
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2019, 01:25:28 pm »
Entered this as it seemed a bit novel with a climbing ratio even lower than Great North road (2300m in 408km) and my "flat" local route (160m in 27km).
Thought slightly trepidatious about the impact of higher population densities.

I keep noting comments about the "fenland winds"; I'm a good wind block... I'm going to be on towing duties amn't ah?

Just looking over the RWGPS route that was sent out.
There's a chequered flag marker the opposite side of the Holdingham roundabout from the travelodge; is that the first place in Sleaford we can control for the finish or do we need to go right into the center (or not and use the subway at the TL)?

I'm booked into the Travelodge the friday and sunday nights so depending on progress that may be ideal although I'd still need to get into town to drop the card off before you pick them up...

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2019, 07:15:35 am »
I guess as it's a free control anywhere with a timed receipt that says "Sleaford" although personally I will have to go through town to get to the carpark so a quick ATM slip in centre of town, a 3am fiddle with with receipts into correct order and chuck em through the Council's post box, then home to bed for 4am.

PS might be quicker getting an answer from cyclingeazer on Fb: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1518597898398807/

As for climbing, you'll be glad to have some so you can rest your legs a bit on the downhills, but it sounds like you might have some ardent followers especially if the wind is making it's presence felt.

Only populations you'll meet are Boston, Cambridge and Lincoln, all different in their unique ways  :o

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:37:44 am »
Last year I controlled at McDonald’s on the Holdingham roundabout as did many others, also some controlled at Burger King on the other side of the roundabout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:51:10 am »
Last year I controlled at McDonald’s on the Holdingham roundabout as did many others, also some controlled at Burger King on the other side of the roundabout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cool, that's where I'm staying, though IIRC you can't check in until 3pm, I wasn't thinking it could be that fast...

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2019, 11:40:16 am »
Actually there is "some climbing", the rolling hills of mid Essex into Great Dunmow and out again on the way to Red Lodge. The only other hill of note will be Canwick coming out of Lincoln on the Branston diversion to avoid the eastern bypass road works on the normal Bloxholm Lane route at Bracebridge Heath.

The finish this year just requires a Sleaford receipt, take your pick. The marker at Holdingham is most likely McDs after you cross the footbridge over A17. You then just have to bundle the receipts and card in an envelope I supply at the start and then post through the council letter box in the middle of town. GPX track takes you the btw

There will be card stamping in the Green Welly, Chatteris and the pub by the Coop in Great Dunmow. Thanks to Tomsk for that facility.

You will be seeing a lot of the Fenland Friends riders, Chatteris and McDs in Boston mostly but did catch some last year heading into Lincoln on Sunday morning.

Numbers currently at 42.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2019, 12:34:20 pm »
There will be card stamping in the Green Welly, Chatteris ... Thanks to Tomsk for that facility.

Dod (hopefully) and myself will see you there  :thumbsup:

We'll also have big water bottles to refill bidons, to avoid the queue for the loo to do so last year. 

Depending on weather, we may be outside  8)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2019, 09:32:47 pm »
Local press now carrying a story that the B1188 through Branston will be closed the weekend 21/22 of June.

So alternate route number 2 may be appropriate on the Gainsborough to Sleaford leg which will be back through Lincoln to the uni, along the east west link rd and on to the Water Railway cycle path. Get off at 5 Mile Lane, on to Heighington to come out at the Branston traffic lights, and carry on to Bloxholm Lane there to come out at Scopwick.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/lincoln-news/drivers-beware-two-main-routes-2916900

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2019, 10:44:15 pm »
This will likely be the diversion around the diversion

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30134992

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2019, 05:57:36 pm »
Hope it stops raining...

Also, climbing?
Compared to the easier hills on Tour of Borders and Galloway?
Think I spoke to CyclingGeezer at the Sainsburys in Biggar.

« Reply #10 on: 14 June, 2019, 12:08:24 pm »
Also, climbing?

Nothing to worry about, a couple of climbs around Lincoln on the way back to Sleaford. Canwick hill out of Lincoln felt like hard work with 550km+ in the legs though.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:30:13 am »
Also, climbing?

Nothing to worry about, a couple of climbs around Lincoln on the way back to Sleaford. Canwick hill out of Lincoln felt like hard work with 550km+ in the legs though.

I'm worried by the lack of it, not much over 3%...
also what's the correct pronunciation of Chatteris? (because my SSE pronunciation automatically makes it a /X/ or a Sean Connery Sh)

The amount of diversions etc. and it being ground I've only ever passed through on the train before is adding to the nerves; missed the last 2 600s I had entered due to illness though only needing this for RRTY #3

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:57:55 am »
The roadworks / diversions are only really in one place, just south of Lincoln.  It's just that you pass them twice.  If you search for Lincoln on the link below then look at Branston to the south east you'll have an idea of what's going on.

https://lincolnshire.roadworks.org/

Google maps live trafffic also shows you where the roads are snarled up, but obviously that's just a snapshot right now.

You can practice your pronunciation

https://forvo.com/word/chatteris/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13 on: 20 June, 2019, 12:42:46 pm »
The roadworks / diversions are only really in one place, just south of Lincoln.  It's just that you pass them twice.  If you search for Lincoln on the link below then look at Branston to the south east you'll have an idea of what's going on.

https://lincolnshire.roadworks.org/

Google maps live trafffic also shows you where the roads are snarled up, but obviously that's just a snapshot right now.

ah ha!

You can practice your pronunciation

https://forvo.com/word/chatteris/

Ta, that saves a bit of scatological embarrassment.

« Reply #14 on: 20 June, 2019, 12:45:54 pm »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15 on: 20 June, 2019, 01:14:21 pm »
Weather's looking warm and dry until sunday afternoon;
Wind South Easterly gusting to 35km Saturday,  turning easterly and dropping to 15kmh gusts Sunday morning before rising to 40kmh Easterly gusts midday.

Not ideal

« Reply #16 on: 20 June, 2019, 09:34:25 pm »
Wind is forecast lowest Sunday am, that's good - we'll be out on the Isle of Axholme then and there's no shelter out there. If the use winds are too much there's the possibility of following West side of Trent bank southward for a little shelter.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #17 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:02:32 pm »
Just a quick heads-up about Chatteris Green Welly on Saturday — card-stamping and water

Dod (George) and I (Nick) will be stamping your cards so you don't need to trouble the staff for a receipt when you order your breakfast  ;) :thumbsup:

If the weather's not p!shing it down then we'll probably be stood near the main entrance outside, or else near the entrance inside.

There will also be large bottles* of water to refill your bidons — last year was a bit of a bunfight for the taps in the loos!  Pink table, outside (don't ask — but at least you can spot it)  :thumbsup:

* The bottles are refilled from the tap, in case anyone's thinking "single-use plastic"  O:-)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:03:33 pm »
Hm yeah never thought of it that way, was more liking at the early head wind and complete lack of tail wind.

Anyone else staying at the travellodge on Friday night?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:37:50 am »
I'll be in Travelodge, plan to leave car there and ride down to the start (unless they've started charging for parking).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 21 June, 2019, 12:39:14 pm »
Might see you there, not sure what time to set off for the station at in the morning, will probably decide once I know how long it takes to get to the travellodge and then allow for the 9be way system.

« Reply #21 on: 21 June, 2019, 03:57:11 pm »
I'll be aiming to leave Travelodge 5.15ish, should be plenty of time if I can remember the way. You're welcome to join me.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:50:28 pm »
Cool will aim to be outside by 10 past

« Reply #23 on: 22 June, 2019, 08:00:04 pm »
Controlled at Dunmow this afternoon. Everyone went through and most had a good feed at the pub. Weather hot but good. Good luck to everyone for the rest of the ride.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #24 on: 24 June, 2019, 05:38:50 am »
I was right to be a bit worried about the amount of flatness.

Slightly delayed at the start and no sooner had I caught the back than an overtake or 2 slowed me up and I couldn't get back on, so spent the morning plugging into the wind alone and the views were a tad dull, plenty of cabbages in the fields but I'm used to seeing more diversity and dodging lost carrots.

Was pretty happy when the undulations started and the scarcity of signs on County marches meant it took a while to realize I was in Essex which seemed very different from the media portrayals.

Was getting a bit too warm for my liking when speed was down and I had a couple of unscheduled stops for more water.

Tailwind was appreciated once back on the flat and was in Boston just after midnight arriving with another couple of riders.

Was lulled into a false sense of comfort in a Heat trap on the water railway and once I got going again just after 4 realized there were plenty of better bivvy spots.

Took a long stop at Lincoln McDonald's where dave caught up, but a daft lack of sleep induced error near the top of the climb out of Lincoln saw my front wheel in the gutter and dave disappearing into the distance.

Legs really didn't like the idea of constant spinning and my cranks and bottom bracket were making a racket, I started hating it...

Reasonable shoves over the isle of axholm, is this actually and island or is it like the black isle?

Was held up on the way to glews garage by an oversized load until I realized it wasn't using the cycle path and then it was just dealing with the crossings.
Saw a few other riders leaving McDonald's as I sat eating my subway which cheered me up a bit as it was feeli g like everyone else was finished and off home.

Bit of a grovel and earache back over the isle the wind now mostly against me and I was delighted to find the hills again. Took a couple of bus stop rests before a long stop at the petrol ststion in Gainsborough.

Dave caught up (he'd stopped longer at glews) and we rode back together.

Fun descent into Lincoln aided by a non audax rider just in front as we took the roundabout, Im sure I would have caught him if he hadn't turned off. The traffic lights near the bottom spoilt the fun briefly too but there was enough hill to carry a decent speed over the bridge.

Just the climb and long descent to Sleaford left with occasional spots of rain falling I thought we might get the promised soaking but we got back dry.

Off to trawl ebay for a good looking set of 10spd hollotec cranks... Or I might swap the hope bb for standard SRAM one. Hm...