Author Topic: 20" quick release skewers  (Read 1956 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
20" quick release skewers
« on: 05 December, 2020, 10:43:49 am »
Just a random question, fuelled by boredom, I notice that my SMGTE has a 'locking' qr skewer, ie allen key jobby, on the front wheel only, as does most Velotechnick stuff.  Just wondering why, and why only on t'front. Is it
A) to stop wheel theft, as the chances of finding a suitable 20" wheel are much less favourable than a 26"?
B) to keep the wheel more secure? as 20" wheels are under more strain, loading, and more likely to move.?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: 20" quick release skewers
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2020, 10:45:32 am »
Some folding bikes run out of room for the front wheel’s QR lever when folded (not applicable here). Some folk like the cleaner look and lower weight of Allen key skewers. An Allen key skewer means there is no opportunity for folk to ‘wingnut’ a QR and have a front wheel dislodge while riding.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2020, 12:02:22 pm »
Is there a dynamo hub?  They tend to come supplied with allen key skewers (presumably for theft reasons).

There's also a reasonable argument for using them with disc brakes.

I've fitted security skewers to both ends of my SMGT.  It's not like you're going to be fixing a rear wheel puncture[1] on that in anything like a hurry.

[1] Interestingly, on the rare occasion it gets a visitation, it's nearly always on the front.  I suspect because the front tyre wears out and gets to the chronic puntures stage more quickly.

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2020, 02:30:30 pm »
Agree on the dynamo front. My dynamo hubs have come with Allen key skewers. My front 20” wheel has a Shimano XT internal cam QR. It’s fine and hasn’t come loose. But then I don’t slam the disc brakes on. I have a Allen key jobby on my road bike dynamo wheel.