Author Topic: Today's scam...  (Read 16112 times)

ian

Re: Today's scam...
« Reply #25 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:05:56 am »
A lot fewer since I turned off the ringer on the landline.

I don't bother listening to them, life is too short, I just hang up, usually before the auto-dialler had put the call through.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:24:22 am »
I am getting a few mobile to mobile calls about my HMRC offence and how I will be arrested if I do not give my details.
I think they got a proper actor in to do that one. He does a convincing version of a person who is really angry with you because you offended.

It was probably Laurence Fox.

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #27 on: 09 April, 2021, 01:10:46 pm »
I have definitely noticed an increase recently. Facebook has kindly provided my phone number, dob, name etc  along with 500 million others to any criminal that wants them.

Not being on Facebook, I'm curious as to why one would want to give it one's phone number.

« Reply #28 on: 09 April, 2021, 01:15:27 pm »
I have definitely noticed an increase recently. Facebook has kindly provided my phone number, dob, name etc  along with 500 million others to any criminal that wants them.

Not being on Facebook, I'm curious as to why one would want to give it one's phone number.

I was temporarily on farcebook.   As with any other website of that nature when I signed up I entered a random birth date, random phone numbers, an email address set up only for farcebook, etc.     They don't need my details, and when I ditched my account I could also delete the email address.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #29 on: 09 April, 2021, 01:18:42 pm »
New bank card arrived today.  NatWest replacing my existing card as they had been notified of a potential breach at an online retailer.

Did check with Nat West and it's kosher.  But the person I spoke to couldn't tell me which online retailer.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Davef

« Reply #30 on: 09 April, 2021, 01:22:41 pm »

Ironically it provides better security.

ian

« Reply #31 on: 09 April, 2021, 01:27:49 pm »
I don't use FB, but it's generally 2FA isn't it?

« Reply #32 on: 09 April, 2021, 02:09:43 pm »
New bank card arrived today.  NatWest replacing my existing card as they had been notified of a potential breach at an online retailer.

Did check with Nat West and it's kosher.  But the person I spoke to couldn't tell me which online retailer.

Same happened to me a few months ago. My bank wouldn't tell me who it was either and as it was precautionary and no money had been taken from me I had no idea.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 09 April, 2021, 03:14:20 pm »

Ironically it provides better security.

Well, I'd rather they don't have my phone number, so I keep on declining the offers of greater security. Similarly, unless it is critical to the website, they don't get my birthday. So I get a lot of electronic birthday cards for 1st Jan. As, I believe, do a lot of other internet users...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #34 on: 09 April, 2021, 03:23:27 pm »
April 1st is my internet birthday.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 09 April, 2021, 03:24:45 pm »
My dad loves the ones where they tell you they need to install a patch on your computer.  He waits until they get to the critical bit and then asks if it works on Linux.

I held one on the line for ten minutes while "my computer" turned on (it was an interesting TV programme I was watching).  He then asked me what operating system it was, so I said Windows 95.  He put me on hold for 15 minutes before coming back and apologising that he didn't have a patch for me.
"Is it a self-adhesive patch or do I have to sew it on?"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #36 on: 09 April, 2021, 03:26:36 pm »
My dad loves the ones where they tell you they need to install a patch on your computer.  He waits until they get to the critical bit and then asks if it works on Linux.

I held one on the line for ten minutes while "my computer" turned on (it was an interesting TV programme I was watching).  He then asked me what operating system it was, so I said Windows 95.  He put me on hold for 15 minutes before coming back and apologising that he didn't have a patch for me.

You need to moisten the glue with de-hydrated water.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 09 April, 2021, 04:38:43 pm »

You need to moisten the glue with de-hydrated water.
I've ordered some from Amazon, and at the same time I got a very good price on some anaerobic nitrogen-oxygen mix.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #38 on: 09 April, 2021, 08:02:15 pm »

Used not to be, at least while I was allowed to play in Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden.  E-mail address and password was all they asked for.

Ben T

« Reply #39 on: 09 April, 2021, 08:13:36 pm »
Got one today that seemed to be from an american number but with a state code that seemed to start with 447 to make it look like a UK mobile  :-\ :-\
Obligatory couple of seconds of silence before a gruff, fairly ominous sounding voice started claiming to be from "the national insurance office". Put the phone down before it got chance to telling me that I obviously owe thousands and should definitely transfer it to this particular anonymous bank account otherwise hordes of armed police are going to swooop in and arrest me

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #40 on: 09 April, 2021, 08:19:42 pm »

Used not to be, at least while I was allowed to play in Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden.  E-mail address and password was all they asked for.

Yes, you don't need anything else to just log in.
I think things like having a phone number are to allow for account recovery, where they can send you a passcode.

ian

« Reply #41 on: 09 April, 2021, 08:19:58 pm »

I'd be surprised if they hadn't moved to 2FA, FB account hackage being something of a noncompetitive sport. Let's try, erm, 'Password1'

But then it's Facebook.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #42 on: 09 April, 2021, 08:22:05 pm »
Wha-hey!  I've just won a Dyson vaccuum (sic) cleaner :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #43 on: 09 April, 2021, 08:54:50 pm »
I got a call from a gentleman on a Liverpool number, but with a heavy South Asian accent rather than Scouse.

He says he's calling from Aviva (bullshit).

He says he's not trying to sell anything (bullshit).

He says it's about the accident I had (bullshit).

Click.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #44 on: 10 April, 2021, 07:30:21 am »
I got a call from a gentleman on a Liverpool number, but with a heavy South Asian accent rather than Scouse.

He says he's calling from Aviva (bullshit).

He says he's not trying to sell anything (bullshit).

He says it's about the accident I had (bullshit).

Click.

May have been the same person that called me a few weeks ago about the "serious car accident" I had experienced - I said it was indeed serious as I had to have both legs amputated ... even that didn't deter them from continuing with the script . . . bonkers.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #45 on: 12 April, 2021, 12:33:58 pm »
If I can be bothered, I ask which accident. That usually breaks the script.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #46 on: 12 April, 2021, 01:18:34 pm »
I had an email from the coop bank*, asking me to update my security credentials.

*There was no name or partial account number on it. Oh, I don't bank with them either.

« Reply #47 on: 12 April, 2021, 01:20:08 pm »
Or you could tell them that you're still suffering from concussion and can't remember the accident,
but ask them to remind you of it.

« Reply #48 on: 12 April, 2021, 01:27:10 pm »
Or you could tell them that you're still suffering from concussion and can't remember the accident,
but ask them to remind you of it.
That's a  good variant on 'Yes, yes, I did have an accident in which I suffered concussion and memory loss. Is that something that you can help me with?'.
Wait for their reply and respond to it with:
'Yes, yes, I did have an accident in which I suffered concussion and memory loss. Is that something that you can help me with?'.
Repeat ad infinitum

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #49 on: 12 April, 2021, 11:05:44 pm »
'From Homecare.  Your washing machine cover has ended, would you like to renew?' 
Yep, it's a scam.
Passed on the 'senior supervisor'.
I let them go through all options, as I ramble on about forgeting where I bought the w/m etc.
Later, senior supervisor... 'so would you like the cover or not'  in an annoyed voice...  ;D 
Me.  'No thanks'.  They hang up before I finished speaking.
The only people who phone on the land line these days are scammers, and our parents.   I suppose it makes a change from the 'PC Eventviewer' scam.

Some cold caller told me the warranty for my fridge had expired.

My built-in fridge has been here since before I bought this house in 1999.
<CLICK>