Author Topic: Most secure Garmin mount?  (Read 2632 times)

Most secure Garmin mount?
« on: 12 June, 2021, 11:05:41 pm »
I lost my Garmin today. Luckily, a few messages on local Facebook groups led to its quick return :thumbsup:

This was the first time I'd put it on my mountain bike. A short ride down some tracks, nothing remotely extreme, and the GPS was gone. It was on a standard elasticated quarter-turn mount - as far as I know a Garmin one, and certainly the same as I've used on other bikes for years, with no problems. The mount just has "Taiwan" on the back, not Garmin, but was a really secure fit - or so it seemed ::-)

So, if I ever want to do that again, any recommended mounts, or tips or tricks? It's an Edge Touring Plus, so doesn't have the security strap that I think newer Edge models may have, for example.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Most secure Garmin mount?
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2021, 08:27:42 am »
Yes - that Lanyard..... I've never had mine come off a mount yet but I always use the lanyard to add that next level of securing it to the bike. (Edge 1000 & 1030)

One of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-11251-16-Tether-Edge-GPS/dp/B00B7DTWK8/ref=pd_lpo_107_t_0/260-8343793-0140303?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00B7DTWK8&pd_rd_r=e0532b75-1ab7-42ba-a674-443cf5f8a213&pd_rd_w=iDCEf&pd_rd_wg=cHKV4&pf_rd_p=21a03f8e-fe0c-4244-828c-77c0ad697d6a&pf_rd_r=78YXDC8WN4MY1PJCXHCC&psc=1&refRID=78YXDC8WN4MY1PJCXHCC

ETA: I just did a quick google and looks like your device might not have teh required hole to attach the lanyard?
Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2021, 11:41:37 am »
The eTrex mount's a different ball game (and the few unofficial ones I've tried have always been too loose), and derailleur-post mounting makes it vulnerable to being kicked, so I always use a lanyard.  It's certainly stopped my Garmin ending up on the ground a few times, though I don't recall it happening while the bike was in motion (other than a crashing motion).

I always thought the Edge mounts were more secure (which isn't necessarily 'better' - a major part of the eTrex mount design is that it leaves the back of the device comfortable in the hand).

« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:39:18 am »
I think that whatever you do to secure the Edge will be a bodge of some sort. Do you have a case for it? If so then you could make a wee hole in that and secure the lanyard that way. Or wrapping some Sellotape around the edge, mount and stem/handlebar is another way.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:44:30 am »
IIRC the Edge mount requires a twist motion to release.  Perhaps something beside it on the handlebars that could be slid up and secured to inhibit the twist?

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:11:28 pm »
ETA: I just did a quick google and looks like your device might not have teh required hole to attach the lanyard?
Yes, as in my original post, it doesn't take the lanyard. Kim's idea is interesting, just push something up against the side to prevent twisting.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:22:32 pm »
Yes, as in my original post, it doesn't take the lanyard. Kim's idea is interesting, just push something up against the side to prevent twisting.
I must admit with an out front mount I don't have an issue but with it reversed or a band on mount it can be knocked and sometimes twist but not to the point of it coming loose.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:52:03 am »
I’m a convert to the K-Edge mounts. They seem to have a firmer grip on the computer. Pricey, but cheaper than what they’re holding on to. And always with a lanyard, bodged or otherwise, for extra reassurance.

« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2021, 02:46:22 pm »
Be careful if you do put something up against the Garmin to stop it coming off the mount, it makes the problem worse. Years ago, I mounted my cycling computer next to my Garmin Edge and found it coming out of the mount on several occasions. It seems that when you hit a bump and with road vibration, it can give the Garmin a "kick" and make it untwist. These days I try to keep a small gap between the two to stop them coming into contact with each other, and I have never had an issue with the Garmin coming out of its mount since.

« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2021, 02:40:00 pm »
My trusty Edge 810 sadly doesn't have a place to attach a lanyard, so I MacGyver-ed one using the flap that protects the ports.