Author Topic: Mid-Essex DunRun and Bivi Weekend 24/25/26 July 2021  (Read 4587 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Mid-Essex DunRun and Bivi Weekend 24/25/26 July 2021
« on: 10 July, 2021, 01:04:30 pm »
Mentioned before in ACME Miscellany, but I plan on joining the DunRun on 24th July, starting from home, then riding back part-way to bivouac overnight and continue home on Monday morning. I'll be carrying a stove to cook breakfast on the beach and the bivi-basics. I need to check out the ferries for Sunday, but following the coast south is the plan.

Maybe anyone interested in joining me for all or part of this could meet up en-route on the Saturday night: Sudbury maybe?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex DunRun and Bivi Weekend 24/25/26 July 2021
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:26:03 am »
Sounds like a grand plan  :thumbsup: Shame my legs aren't up to it at the moment  :-[

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2021, 04:49:16 pm »
Yep - sounds like fun but I suspect other parts of me are defo not up to it... though I have been getting a bivvy in most months in the garden! :)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2021, 07:30:56 pm »
Yep - sounds like fun but I suspect other parts of me are defo not up to it... though I have been getting a bivvy in most months in the garden! :)

Meet us on somewhere on Sunday, for the easy ride back down the coast and the bivi bit?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:14:35 pm »

Meet us on somewhere on Sunday, for the easy ride back down the coast and the bivi bit?
I'll spare the details but I can currently manage about 60km and then I'm done in with pain... Even driving is becoming a challenge now

Appointment early August can't come quick enough! Hopefully with a fix cause my summer is mostly screwed now and I'm getting a bit fed up with it.
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2021, 06:31:07 am »

I'll spare the details but I can currently manage about 60km and then I'm done in with pain... Even driving is becoming a challenge now

Appointment early August can't come quick enough! Hopefully with a fix cause my summer is mostly screwed now and I'm getting a bit fed up with it.

Is a double gloved Healing Hand TM plus strong stomach required?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2021, 06:58:58 am »
I'm almost at teh point where I'll consider anything!  :o ;D
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:59:43 am »

My door is always open  ;D  GWS  :-*

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2021, 06:48:46 pm »

My door is always open  ;D  GWS  :-*

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9 on: 13 July, 2021, 10:00:37 pm »
Mentioned before in ACME Miscellany, but I plan on joining the DunRun on 24th July, starting from home, then riding back part-way to bivouac overnight and continue home on Monday morning. I'll be carrying a stove to cook breakfast on the beach and the bivi-basics. I need to check out the ferries for Sunday, but following the coast south is the plan.

Maybe anyone interested in joining me for all or part of this could meet up en-route on the Saturday night: Sudbury maybe?

Could be interested in this if family commitments don't mess with it - thanks, Tom! Will let you know. Also I know a guy from work (nice chap) that might be interested if that's okay?

« Reply #10 on: 13 July, 2021, 10:01:35 pm »
Yep - sounds like fun but I suspect other parts of me are defo not up to it... though I have been getting a bivvy in most months in the garden! :-)

Sorry to hear this and sending you positive vibes. GWS.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11 on: 14 July, 2021, 07:04:48 am »
Yep - sounds like fun but I suspect other parts of me are defo not up to it... though I have been getting a bivvy in most months in the garden! :-)

Sorry to hear this and sending you positive vibes. GWS.

Ta  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 14 July, 2021, 07:36:30 am »
Could be interested in this if family commitments don't mess with it - thanks, Tom! Will let you know. Also I know a guy from work (nice chap) that might be interested if that's okay?

:thumbsup: The more the merrier!

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #13 on: 16 July, 2021, 02:20:11 pm »
Having never managed to fit the Dun Run in to my summer schedule, I’m hoping to do it, but will start in london I think to get the whole experience. Can’t stay out Sunday night unfortunately as have to be at work Monday morning, so will probably ride home. Can meet in Dunmow on the way out though?
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #14 on: 16 July, 2021, 02:42:24 pm »
Planning to do this with the bivi, subject to family stuff. Meet up somewhere around Tomsk towers.

For anyone starting at London Fields - traffic awareness and a good traffic light sprint is very usefull to escape the erratic riding of many - sitting back and waiting for the slugs will leave you parked at traffic lights for multiple light sequences. If riding fixed try to lose the groups of morons on gears that sprint past on the downhills and then stall in front of you on the uphill bits (across the whole road width), sitting back works well and you can politely compliment them on their riding as you pass them whilst they watch one of their mates fixing a puncture.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 19 July, 2021, 10:21:07 am »
Planning to do this with the bivi, subject to family stuff. Meet up somewhere around Tomsk towers.

For anyone starting at London Fields - traffic awareness and a good traffic light sprint is very usefull to escape the erratic riding of many - sitting back and waiting for the slugs will leave you parked at traffic lights for multiple light sequences. If riding fixed try to lose the groups of morons on gears that sprint past on the downhills and then stall in front of you on the uphill bits (across the whole road width), sitting back works well and you can politely compliment them on their riding as you pass them whilst they watch one of their mates fixing a puncture.

^ Indeed, yes. The DunRun gives an instructive and enlightening opportunity to witness the wide range of abilities in the 'Cycling Community' ... Assume the worst will happen in any given situation.

The following things may gain you new 'friends' (you may or may not want): being able to hold a steady pace without 'surging', holding a line, pointing out potholes, knowing where you're going, telling left from right, having lights that actually work or even actually having lights, being able to fix things at the roadside, and probably many more. If you can relax and roll with the situation, it really is fun, honest.

Provisional start from Dunmow at midnight. We'll wait if anyone who's running late lets me know. Strong coffee and cake will be available.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #16 on: 19 July, 2021, 01:52:03 pm »

^ Indeed, yes. The DunRun gives an instructive and enlightening opportunity to witness the wide range of abilities in the 'Cycling Community' ... Assume the worst will happen in any given situation.

The following things may gain you new 'friends' (you may or may not want): being able to hold a steady pace without 'surging', holding a line, pointing out potholes, knowing where you're going, telling left from right, having lights that actually work or even actually having lights, being able to fix things at the roadside, and probably many more. If you can relax and roll with the situation, it really is fun, honest.

Provisional start from Dunmow at midnight. We'll wait if anyone who's running late lets me know. Strong coffee and cake will be available.

Rules me out then…
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 19 July, 2021, 07:38:29 pm »
... being able to hold a steady pace without 'surging', holding a line, pointing out potholes, knowing where you're going, telling left from right, having lights that actually work or even actually having lights, being able to fix things at the roadside, and probably many more.

Rules me out then…

;D

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #18 on: 19 July, 2021, 08:55:22 pm »
... being able to hold a steady pace without 'surging', holding a line, pointing out potholes, knowing where you're going, telling left from right, having lights that actually work or even actually having lights, being able to fix things at the roadside, and probably many more.

Rules me out then…

;D

Was a little scrappier than usual, maybe going back onto fixed will help?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 20 July, 2021, 07:56:51 am »
If anyone is interested in the 4 x ferry return trip (£20.00 total cost, probably all cash payments?) then some really need booking.

Butley ferry is run by volunteers and is on various small boats, some rowed ... Bawdsey is every 30 minutes or on demand to late afternoon. I'm likely to be heading for the last (16:30) Felixstowe-Harwich sailing, so should book online for priority, otherwise it's about an extra 40 miles by road! Pm/email for full details rather than clog this thread up. Monday morning I'll aim for the Point Clear-East Mersea ferry, which will be on a summer holiday schedule by then, but I'll phone to check anyway.

I will be experimenting this week with all my bivi kit in a large saddlebag + bar bag, and try to avoid panniers or random extra stuff strapped on here and there. Which bike? Probably fixed ...

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #20 on: 20 July, 2021, 09:33:38 pm »
I can't commit to the full plan, I will see how things go with Dad and possibly do a cut down version if it looks OK (Dunmow to Dunwich), with long ride from Dunwich in the morning (to Essex or Dereham). Don't plan on fitting in with me, or follow me if I divert for no apparent reason!

The later would really screw up some of the random light chasers you always pick up on the DD if you have lights that actually work.....

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 22 July, 2021, 05:30:18 pm »
Poppy's (fixie) bottom bracket is still giving concern, despite surviving the A&S ok. I can't spare the time at the moment for serious fettling, so I'll almost certainly be on Ruby (Holdsworth, 24 gears!), though a long ride on the Ridgeback folder (Rhoda) is tempting - it does have a nice, new, shiny rear wheel. (Thanks BFC!) But it lacks long rear mudguards and flappage - little wheels spin fast and throw up a lot of spray, and it might be a tad wet this weekend ...

« Reply #22 on: 22 July, 2021, 06:16:09 pm »
Based on the current weather forecasts I can't help but thinking that planning rides to Dunwich this weekend is a foolish endeavour.  I've canned my Finchingfield feeder Dunwich Dynamo ride (To Dunwich and back)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 22 July, 2021, 08:23:34 pm »
Based on the current weather forecasts I can't help but thinking that planning rides to Dunwich this weekend is a foolish endeavour.  I've canned my Finchingfield feeder Dunwich Dynamo ride (To Dunwich and back)

Plan B - sit in a pub. Or a bus shelter/church porch. And watch the weather go mental. No minimum speed! No controls!

Then go home.

« Reply #24 on: 22 July, 2021, 11:40:07 pm »
Nice trite answer. On the way to Dunwich it's unlikely you'll find a pub open after 11 pm. It's a popular ride so your planned sheltering places will very likely be over occupied before you decide to seek shelter ( because your Audax heritage means you can cope better with adverse weather  than a typical DD rider). When you get to Dunwich there will be no shelter from rain because everywhere will be fully occupied. Other than that I wish you good luck  on your bivvying weekend.