Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2962322 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #23125 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:15:14 am »
I read over the weekend that the housing market is going bonkers in rural areas with demand far outstripping supply, but I’ve yet to see any activity from estate agents ‘leafleting’ saying that ‘buyers are looking for properties like yours’ as I’ve seen in the past.

Me neither - and I live in the archetypal chocolate-box thatched cottage in the middle of nowhere, but just off a main road, next to a pub, and with a bus stop within 100m that is actually still served by buses!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23126 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:17:18 am »
I read over the weekend that the housing market is going bonkers in rural areas with demand far outstripping supply, but I’ve yet to see any activity from estate agents ‘leafleting’ saying that ‘buyers are looking for properties like yours’ as I’ve seen in the past.

Me neither - and I live in the archetypal chocolate-box thatched cottage in the middle of nowhere, but just off a main road, next to a pub, and with a bus stop within 100m that is actually still served by buses!

No doubt the leaflets are going to the pub...

(Here in Silly Oak, the steady stream of such leaflets only abated during the proper lockdown last year.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23127 on: 23 June, 2021, 03:00:47 pm »
It's not quite 3 o'clock and my son's back from school already, which started at 1 today. What's going on? Well, quite a few of his classmates come in on the train, and two separate groups of these got Covid notifications today as they were already on the train. Two, coming from Nailsea, got off at the next stop and phoned school. But the others, coming from Bath, came into school, sat down and said "Oh we're supposed to be self-isolating today, we just got a notification."  :facepalm: If you're not actually going to self-isolate, you'd do better to not tell anyone and let them get on with school (but you'd do even better to follow the instructions and self-isolate; it's only five days according to latest regs).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23128 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:12:36 am »
WEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWW *pause* *sigh* WEEEAWWWEEEAWW "Oh, for fuck's sake!" WEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWWWEEEAWW...

ETA: They finally stopped at 2:30am.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23129 on: 26 June, 2021, 10:10:05 am »
Taxi drivers who use their horns instead of knocking on the door: when the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party is “returned” to the kind of power that grows from the barrel of a gun your sort will be made illegal.  And if you are guilty of perpetrating said crime at half past bastard three in the fucking morning both your driving licence and your life will be forfeit, and we'll make you pay up-front for the bullets.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23130 on: 26 June, 2021, 10:40:20 am »
Taxi drivers who use their horns instead of knocking on the door: when the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party is “returned” to the kind of power that grows from the barrel of a gun your sort will be made illegal.  And if you are guilty of perpetrating said crime at half past bastard three in the fucking morning both your driving licence and your life will be forfeit, and we'll make you pay up-front for the bullets.

Can we also include those that phone from the car when they are outside please?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23131 on: 26 June, 2021, 12:08:27 pm »

Can we also include those that phone from the car when they are outside please?

Why, that seems like an eminently sensible way for an analogue taxi to tell you they've arrived, especially if there's nowhere to park.  Also avoids the knocking-instead-of-using-the-doorbell problem, and I suspect it makes things a lot less irritating for the occupants of the wrong house when they're sloppy about road names.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23132 on: 06 July, 2021, 06:32:40 pm »
I'm giving a webinar next week to our AsicPac customers.
This morning we were having a dry run internally. Except with 5 minutes to go somebody with half a brain noticed that the invite sent to our sales teams to give them a sneak preview and allow them to give feedback must have been forwarded on by one of the numpties to their customers because there were suddenly quite a few more attendees than expected.
So suddenly we went from a fairly relaxed ironing out session to 'make like this is the real thing', because we couldn't exactly tell the customers that turned up due to our people's cock up to fuck off and come back next week.

Bit fucking stressful  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23133 on: 06 July, 2021, 07:29:03 pm »
Ah, sales droids. Don’t you just love working with them…
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #23134 on: 06 July, 2021, 07:39:53 pm »
You've just reminded me that the 12th is next week and I have a webinar to present on the subject of, erm, err, that thing.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23135 on: 14 July, 2021, 10:51:12 am »
Now look here, publishers of the Indy 100 webby SCIENCE!

I'm a reasonable sort of chap and totally understand that you might need shitvertising on your pages to help pay the milkman.  However:
  • Shitverts large enow to reduce the actual content to two half-lines of text and no fucking pictures are Not On.
  • Shitverts that then occupy even the tiny window you were trying to read through are the act of a terminal fuckwit.
  • Shitverts that do the above and have no way of making them fuck off again will, in the post-Panzers-down-Whitehall future, earn you a special regime in a Reëducation Camp on which failure to abide by the myriad camp regulations will result in harsh penalties.  The regulations will pinned to a noticeboard six metres above the ground, be written in mirror-image Amharic and printed in white on a pale yellow background.

Arseholes.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23136 on: 16 July, 2021, 05:38:02 pm »
Bloody schools. My boy and his beau are coming for dinner this evening, and with it being Friday a few beers or wine as suits. They’re due at 6pm. At 4pm on a Friday afternoon, after having the child in question all day, the raise an emergency social work referral. 45minutes in the system and he has to leave home at 4:45 to go and a)assess the case with a police officer, and then potentially b) find an emergency foster placement before he can knock off for the weekend. Why do schools do this, do they think that a case worthy of an emergency referral will somehow miraculously resolve itself before they have to send the child back into the abusive environment.

Ok, I’m only peripherally affected, but my boy gets to add another weight to the pile that is pushing him away from social work.

ETA. Apparently they sent said child home to the abusive situation before someone decide they really really needed to cover their arses and THEN made the referral. So the both has got to go with a police man in tow and make an unannounced home visit.

ETA. It gets even better. The ‘emergency’ referral was actually made by email. At 4pm. On Friday. On the last school day before the summer holiday. After which all the teachers buggered of to the pub. An absolute classic COA move.  >:(

However, the boy arrived at about 7pm, I handed him a beer, made him a pizza, and he relaxed into the weekend. We all had a great evening. (And they all enjoyed ‘daddy pizza’ which continues to please me beyond reasonable  :))
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #23137 on: 17 July, 2021, 12:39:58 am »
Good ending (just wondering what 'daddy pizza' is a euphemism for  :P:thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23138 on: 22 July, 2021, 08:42:05 am »
The pikey householders in this street have decided the river bank is the ideal place to fly tip all their green waste to avoid paying for the green waste service*.  The residents of no.2 are paving over the back garden and have dumped half a ton of turf right behind their own house.  It's not exactly stealthy.

Swindon council say this land is the parish council's responsibility, and the parish council does sweet FA.

*which also encourages the paving of gardens, since getting rid of grass cuttings becomes chargeable and composting is impractical in a small modern garden, since you can't use the stuff you create.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23139 on: 22 July, 2021, 12:07:12 pm »
ebay.  I seem to fall for it every time.  Select UK listings, then buy something (~£20) with item location in UK - which turns out to have a problem, and then I discover the seller is based in China.  They do everything to wriggle out of full refund, including multiple small discounts.   
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23140 on: 22 July, 2021, 01:24:31 pm »
ebay.  I seem to fall for it every time.  Select UK listings, then buy something (~£20) with item location in UK - which turns out to have a problem, and then I discover the seller is based in China.  They do everything to wriggle out of full refund, including multiple small discounts.

Ditto - but if there's an issue that's not answered to my satisfaction with the usual "Dear friend . . ." email from the supplier I go straight to the ebay complaints process and invariably get satisfaction with a full refund after the 8 day period.

The real annoyance is that they say the item is "UK stock" and it isn't - the fact that the actual seller is in China doesn't matter if the stock really is in the UK with a fulfilment company.  A lot of stuff genuinely is in the UK . . . but not all. 

I've bought quite a lot woodwork tool related stuff from Banggood and it has arrived, from the UK, in less than half the stated 5- 7 days in the listing.  That's good.

rogerzilla

« Reply #23141 on: 26 July, 2021, 09:07:08 am »
Faecebook.  When I use the "See fewer items from this category" on Marketplace, TAKE SOME FECKING NOTICE.  It's like one of those pedestrian crossing buttons that does nothing except make the WAIT* light come on.

Big data?  You can't even work out if I'm male or female.

*which someone local had laboriously, yet fairly successfully, converted to CUNT with a Sharpie.  Enough light gets through the black bits to make it work.

« Reply #23142 on: 03 August, 2021, 11:33:45 am »
Hungarian side of the family: I kept asking what the entry requirements were for Hungary before booking a ticket. No answer. Then I get pressured to book flights and I asked again. No reply. I unwisely booked anyway. Now you discover that there's a 10-day quarantine period and my daughter doesn't want to go through that, understandably. Next time, I won't book anything until you do your bit. What a waste of money.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rogerzilla

« Reply #23143 on: 07 August, 2021, 05:50:36 pm »
Crappy spoke calculators.  Why did I trust the hub database?  Spokes 4mm too short, you bastards.  Edd has the spoke hole diameter as 60mm but it's 52mm  :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #23144 on: 12 August, 2021, 04:55:01 pm »
AAAAAAAA! I've just found out we've had no buildings insurance cover since the 4th thanks to Pedalcover's new underwriters.
PC sent me a renewal quote including buildings but then when I've gone to their online tool to accept the quote it appears it had automagically removed the buildings cover because their new underwriters don't do buildings cover on flats (and so they can't just add it on either).
Bastards!

Yes, I should have scrutinised the policy documents when they arrived but being as I knew I was going to change it in 4 weeks and the renewal quote had everything in order, I didn't.

ETA: after an hour's stressing, finding that short term insurance seems to only be for unoccupied properties I am now 70 quid lighter (yes, small beans in the grand scheme of things) and have 49 weeks cover I don't need.  :facepalm:

ian

« Reply #23145 on: 12 August, 2021, 05:46:27 pm »
Stuff that annoys me, #456,620, the difficulty in just fucking emailing a company my request. I don't want to talk to an agent online, I don't want to call you, I don't want to send you a DM on fucking Twitter. I just want an email address.

I want to put my request into an email, send it to you, and have it answered by email. Just like that.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #23146 on: 12 August, 2021, 08:05:57 pm »
That sounds like something that should be flagged up with the Competitions and Markets Authority (CMA) (formerly trading standards).

I've just done training that says any "disclaimers" must be highlighted in a contract. So in my guess-view, a renewal which has a MAJOR contractual change should have been explicitly pointed out to you at the point of renewal.

It might be worth saying that to the provider and telling them to change it or you'll go to the CMA.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #23147 on: 12 August, 2021, 08:14:27 pm »
One positive thing I’ll say about Churchill is that in my experience they’ve been pretty good at flagging up any changes to the policy - not that there has been anything that major.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #23148 on: 12 August, 2021, 08:26:39 pm »
I've just done training that says any "disclaimers" must be highlighted in a contract. So in my guess-view, a renewal which has a MAJOR contractual change should have been explicitly pointed out to you at the point of renewal.

It might be worth saying that to the provider and telling them to change it or you'll go to the CMA.
They said themselves it shouldn't have happened and they would raise it with their team to make sure it didn't happen again.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #23149 on: 13 August, 2021, 06:59:10 am »
Quote from: ian
Stuff that annoys me, #456,620, the difficulty in just fucking emailing a company my request...
Been there. Done that.  It *is* fucking infuriating.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου