Author Topic: Trekkertent  (Read 3479 times)

Trekkertent
« on: 05 October, 2014, 10:56:43 am »
http://www.trekkertent.com/home/

A UK based "cottage" manufacturer of tents & tarps.  Looks like nicely thought out stuff.

They are designed to use trekking poles as support, but recommend poles from bearbonesbikepacking if you don't use these.

There has been an ongoing thread on OutdoorsMagic about the classic Phoenix Phreeranger tent, as a result or this Trekkertent are now making replacement flysheets for this venerable beast.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Trekkertent
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2019, 07:41:40 pm »
the classic Phoenix Phreeranger tent, as a result or this Trekkertent are now making replacement flysheets for this venerable beast.
In fact they're making whole tents. I know, cos I've got one.

Andrew had mentioned it on another thread, I liked the sound of it, investigated a little and the rest, as they say, is the future.

It arrived on Saturday and so far it's just one quick pitch in the garden, but first impressions are – well, let's start with the parcel which the postman delivered. "That can't be the whole tent," I thought to myself, "perhaps he's sending the poles separately." Then I opened the envelope and it was the whole tent. It's about a third the pack size of my Wild Country Hoolie 2. It takes up about half a pannier, maybe very slightly more, whereas the Hoolie 2 is far too large to fit anywhere other than on the rear rack. The weight saving is not quite as dramatic but still significant, from about 2.5kg down to approximately 1kg. Most of the space saving comes from using lighter fabric, but the poles are simpler too and, yes, it's slightly smaller inside. Whereas the Hoolie is a 2-person tent that unusually actually has room for 2, the Phreeranger could only hold 2 if you snuggle up. However, that has advantages in colder weather. It's also going to be easier (for me) to get in and out, the entrance on the long side means you get out more sort of sideways than having to stoop and wiggle out arse-first. It has double entrances, too, on opposite sides.

In terms of pitching, it's quick and quite simple but I'm glad I consulted both the instruction printout that came with the tent and the instructions on the website. The pole sleeves are cut much more tightly than on the Hoolie, meaning a bit of precision is required to insert them, at least the first time. Hooking the inner up to the fly is a bit fiddly but only needs to be done once. It's not freestanding but I found it stood without any guylines, in fact only one corner peg was needed.

It is supplied without pegs, on the grounds that different people like different sorts of pegs for different terrain (shades of bikes without pedals?). So now all I need is pegs and an Indian summer!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.