Author Topic: London Sightseer - 5 Sep 21  (Read 5025 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
London Sightseer - 5 Sep 21
« on: 31 March, 2021, 07:53:48 pm »
For the London Sightseer version that uses the Greenwich Foot Tunnel - the small cafe at Island Gardens (N end of the tunnel) is being demolished and rebuilt with a much larger building incorporating public toilets.    [Hopefully the counter service will be a bit quicker!]

Re: London Sightseer cafe stop
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2021, 07:59:24 pm »
For the London Sightseer version that uses the Greenwich Foot Tunnel - the small cafe at Island Gardens (N end of the tunnel) is being demolished and rebuilt with a much larger building incorporating public toilets.    [Hopefully the counter service will be a bit quicker!]
Indeed.
While the fare was second to none, the service was *ahem* a tad laid back.
ETA - It is a stonking place for Carribean food

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:37:36 pm »
That cafe was our local and we would often treat ourselves to a roti or jerk chicken on a weekday lunchtime. We learned to call in, place the order and then go for a walk along the river before returning for our lunch. Great food and friendly staff who we got to know over the years. We continued to frequent during lockdowns when they stayed open for takeaway.
When we chatted to them shortly before they closed, there seemed to be some chance that they would be back. I really hope so, I will put up with the slow service to get something that is so different to the standard park cafe fare.

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2021, 01:11:15 pm »

Chatting to my brother yesterday he reminded me that we used to go to the park that's now called Island Gardens when we were kids - it was called Saunders Ness then.  There would often be artists sitting at their easels painting the glorious view across the river to the Royal Naval College/Hospital/Museum and the Greenwich Observatory at the top of the hill.

. . . . and before anyone suggests I'm old enough to have been there when Canaletto stopped by to paint his picture . . . . we would have been there in the mid-1950s!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2021, 07:50:16 pm »
I hope they are able to return; I have visited on the sightseer and on foot - it really is top notch food, but, yes, service is a little haphazard (like many of the best places).

I want some Caribbean food now (and despite having very limited takeaway options in the Hope Valley, we actually can get jerk chicken randomly).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2021, 06:02:30 pm »
Will the London Sightseer be running this year?
Would love to give it a try.

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2021, 07:51:14 pm »
Will the London Sightseer be running this year?
Would love to give it a try.

it's not listed yet - I'll give it another month or so and send Bill a message to ask if it's not appeared by then

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2021, 08:44:12 pm »
It is my favourite 100k and I have ridden it 14 times since 2009 (9 midweek and 5 weekend) but would love to ride it again.

« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2021, 07:00:56 pm »
I can’t see it in the organiser future events planner I’m afraid.

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2021, 07:09:25 pm »
It is my favourite 100k and I have ridden it 14 times since 2009 (9 midweek and 5 weekend) but would love to ride it again.

My first one was September 2005.

Not wishing to steal Bill Carnaby's thunder but if it isn't happening then I for one would be up for an "informal ride" on the same route . . . perhaps a Sunday in September if circumstances permit?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #10 on: 18 April, 2021, 07:34:07 pm »
I would like to ride this but living at the half way point it doesn't make much sense as a calendar ride, getting across London at the beginning and end is rather off-putting. Any other East Londoners who would like to ride the route but starting at the opposite point?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2021, 07:58:41 am »
I would like to ride this but living at the half way point it doesn't make much sense as a calendar ride, getting across London at the beginning and end is rather off-putting. Any other East Londoners who would like to ride the route but starting at the opposite point?

I'd be interested (as would, quite probably, others of us of an ACME persuasion) - likewise, logistically easier from the east, which is why I've never ridden the calendar event.

« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2021, 09:07:54 am »
Some of those on The Sunday London Ride (a dim & distant relation of FNRttC) have discussed this. Hyde Park Corner could be a possible alternative start.

« Reply #13 on: 19 April, 2021, 11:30:31 am »
Starting and finishing in the East (Greenwich?) would certainly put a new perspective to it and I would be interested.

I usually now cross the River using the Emirates cable-car but you need a good head for heights on it.  Bikes go free.

Plenty of accommodation near there too.

« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2021, 03:58:01 pm »
Still doesn't seem to be on the Calendar.  Wonder if anyone has any contact details.

robgul

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2021, 04:24:23 pm »
Still doesn't seem to be on the Calendar.  Wonder if anyone has any contact details.

The organiser is Bill Carnaby from Hounslow & District Wheelers (he's listed as the secretary) -  email contact for the club is  secretary@hdwcycling.co.uk   - probably best way to try and enquire.

I might have Bill's contact details on an old route sheet for the event - I'll have a butcher's when I get a chance.    I'm keen to ride it this year, possibly even both editions if they are happening.

AND - I think Dave LWAB otp may have some details for Bill or a line of communication?

« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2021, 01:20:29 pm »
Hi all,

I've had a reply - they're hopeful it will run on the first Sunday in September.

Simon

robgul

« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2021, 01:51:53 pm »
Hi all,

I've had a reply - they're hopeful it will run on the first Sunday in September.

Simon

Yippee! - diary note made  :thumbsup:

robgul

« Reply #18 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:03:44 pm »
Hi all,

Simon

Yippee! - diary note made  :thumbsup:

Cross-referencing my earlier thread - if Bill doesn't run the event in September (Sunday 5th) as we are hoping he will - I and a few friends will probably ride it informally. 

Starting close to the traditional start and reverting to the "classic route" (i.e. not tootling out to the Olympic Velodrome but continuing to Canary Wharf, Isle of Dogs, Greenwich)  The route to the park and back is a bit grim - even if you're an Eastenders fan ;D

If anyone wants to tag along should we do the ride then that's great.

Hopefully we'll be able enter and support Bill on what is, to me, probably the best Audax I've ever ridden.

« Reply #19 on: 04 June, 2021, 11:05:06 am »
Booking is now open for Sept 5th  ;D

robgul

« Reply #20 on: 04 June, 2021, 01:31:48 pm »
Booking is now open for Sept 5th  ;D

Yippee!!   I will be entering momentarily (or later today anyway)

« Reply #21 on: 04 June, 2021, 01:45:29 pm »
Alas, I will have to miss out this year as we will be in the Lake District that weekend.

robgul

« Reply #22 on: 24 June, 2021, 07:23:05 am »
As stated up-thread, I've entered and the club I ride with has another 7 or 8 entrants signed up.  Looking at the up-to-date street maps and the route sheet from 2019 (last running) it does seem that the approach and exit from the Olympic Park is now better as a result of some works and changes in the park.

« Reply #23 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:08:41 am »
Hi all,

Simon

I was only thinking about this ride the other day as I was going to try to get a friend to try it. I emailed Bill but haven't seen a reply yet. Anyway, looks like September could be on. I've done it twice, the last time I set off with a couple of chaps from the Willesden who didn't seem to be following a route sheet. "It's our 15th time" or similar was the reply when I enquired, they knew it off my heart.

robgul

« Reply #24 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:19:39 am »
Hi all,

Simon

I was only thinking about this ride the other day as I was going to try to get a friend to try it. I emailed Bill but haven't seen a reply yet. Anyway, looks like September could be on. I've done it twice, the last time I set off with a couple of chaps from the Willesden who didn't seem to be following a route sheet. "It's our 15th time" or similar was the reply when I enquired, they knew it off my heart.

Yep - as muti-ride entrant I reckon I could ride most of it from memory . . .  just the bit from Limehouse to the Olympic Park and back to Canary Wharf that's a bit hazy!

We have a team of about 10, so far, entered - looking forward to it.