Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576374 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1075 on: 19 November, 2011, 05:43:52 pm »
Arch, it is a relatively simple job to remove said laptop keyboard (that is if you know what you are doing :) ) then soak it, dry it and then reconnect.

Beer and fruit juice are two very bad things to throw at keyboards (but not the worst I have seen, having spent a few months in my youth cleaning keyboards for P&P computers in Scarborough)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1076 on: 19 November, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »
Arch, it is a relatively simple job to remove said laptop keyboard (that is if you know what you are doing :) ) then soak it, dry it and then reconnect.

Beer and fruit juice are two very bad things to throw at keyboards (but not the worst I have seen, having spent a few months in my youth cleaning keyboards for P&P computers in Scarborough)

Oh yes, we've had the thing apart, and run the keyboard under the tap, and then had it apart again and given it another wash. We're wondering if the keys need to come off. When you say soak, do you literally mean full immersion?

MFWHTBAB, who's braver than me, even got all the innards out and we looked over them for beer residues and cleaned a couple of small sticky patches up. We were gratified that this didn't make it worse, it just didn't make it better either....

I don't want to think what you might have been cleaning out of laptops in Scab....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #1077 on: 19 November, 2011, 09:51:36 pm »
you actually need warm soapy water - I used to clean stuff for a coal mine. Bring it round if you like - we are in most nights.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1078 on: 19 November, 2011, 10:22:21 pm »
Ok, we'll try the warm soapy water tomorrow, and if I'm still no further on, I'll be in touch!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1079 on: 20 November, 2011, 02:10:19 pm »
Ok, we'll try the warm soapy water tomorrow, and if I'm still no further on, I'll be in touch!
I should probably add, in case it wasn't already obvious, that you should leave the newly cleaned bits to dry naturally if at all possible (in the airing cupboard is good, shoving them in the oven not so much) - just make sure you give 'em a good rinse beforehand.

In the meantime, you could use a USB keyboard and mouse - if you don't have these then I have spares you're more than welcome to.

« Reply #1080 on: 20 November, 2011, 04:00:09 pm »
I should probably add, in case it wasn't already obvious, that you should leave the newly cleaned bits to dry naturally if at all possible (in the airing cupboard is good, shoving them in the oven not so much) - just make sure you give 'em a good rinse beforehand.

In the meantime, you could use a USB keyboard and mouse - if you don't have these then I have spares you're more than welcome to.

Yes, thanks, we found that propped on top of MFWHTBAB's radiator, on low, dried it very well.  Neither of us have an airing cupboard alas!

I'm using a USB keyboard for the moment, and the touchpad on the laptop is working ok, so it's just a case of remembering which bit to use for what!

I still feel ike a twit, but I've been doing mildly creative things this weekend which has made me feel less idiotic.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1081 on: 21 November, 2011, 03:16:02 pm »
LloydsTSB, you are a bunch of useless cockspurts.  I entered all the details for a new recipient and, when the numbers appeared on my monitor, entered them into my phone as instructed.  Once.  You then decided I'd got it wrong three times and refused to set the thing up.

Bloody sod you, then, I'll write my credit card number on a piece of paper and post it to the supplier in Germany.  This means you won't be getting an extra ten quid out of me.  Ha fucking ha.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1082 on: 21 November, 2011, 03:27:37 pm »

Oh yes, we've had the thing apart, and run the keyboard under the tap, and then had it apart again and given it another wash. We're wondering if the keys need to come off. When you say soak, do you literally mean full immersion?

MFWHTBAB, who's braver than me, even got all the innards out and we looked over them for beer residues and cleaned a couple of small sticky patches up. We were gratified that this didn't make it worse, it just didn't make it better either....

Warm water and prolonged soaking (i.e. overnight with changes of water) or agitation are required.  Beer, when dried, can be difficult to remove without application of elbow grease.

I don't want to think what you might have been cleaning out of laptops in Scab....

You don't, no really you don't want to know.  Stuff of nightmares, still
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1083 on: 21 November, 2011, 05:15:22 pm »

Warm water and prolonged soaking (i.e. overnight with changes of water) or agitation are required.  Beer, when dried, can be difficult to remove without application of elbow grease.

Blimey, sounds like I could do it with my next batch of laundry (I handwash...)

With regard to soapiness mentioned above - hand soap? I've heard washing up liquid has salt in it, so I'm assuming that's bad...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1084 on: 21 November, 2011, 08:29:57 pm »
What about some bio laundry liquid?- with some enzymes to nom up the beer
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1085 on: 22 November, 2011, 01:02:34 pm »
Colleague, it was nice to see you this morning as we cycled into work together, but I would prefer it if you didn't announce your presence by bumping my back wheel with your front wheel. Even though I was stopped at a red light it was still quite disconcerting.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1086 on: 22 November, 2011, 09:23:57 pm »
I felt I was getting a sore throat shouting at all the queuing motorists on the A1081 into work, as I merrily cycled past them, down the middle of the road.

"Oi - put your phone away or you're nicked"
"Stop reading a map and concentrate on your driving"
"Put your son's homework away and look at the road"
"Don't drive and do your make-up at the same time"

Mindless muppets, the lot of them.   ::-)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1087 on: 24 November, 2011, 11:23:51 am »
Arm!  Stop going all numb and tingly!  This stopped being funny about two months ago.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1088 on: 24 November, 2011, 03:41:51 pm »
Arm!  Stop going all numb and tingly!  This stopped being funny about two months ago.

Mine stopped being funny about a year ago.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #1089 on: 25 November, 2011, 08:22:33 am »
I'm kind of tired, achey and have a headache this morning, which is a sod since I'm driving my horse to Suffolk for a lesson today!  I've not had one since my ill-fated afternoon on the M25, so I'm really looking forward to it (especially with the new transport), but feel a bit like I ran a marathon yesterday!

Fmeh!

« Reply #1090 on: 25 November, 2011, 10:15:35 am »
eBay seller: Your type of listing relies on extreme accuracy. You tell your buyers to input the details very carefully as you ALWAYS send out codes that have been checked. Only you didn't check the code you sent me, did you?! So I assumed I was doing summat wrong. OK, you did respond to my messages, but you weren't exactly communicative & you didn't even apologise for getting the code wrong, did you? I think a neutral was justified in the circumstances, so don't get so uppity for getting the very basics of your business wrong in my case.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1091 on: 25 November, 2011, 11:30:57 am »
Elderly rellies. 
Stop phoning me for no apparent reason and then expect me to take the lead in the conversation.

Cafe.
That is not toast.  That is bread that has been warmed for 15 seconds.

Hills.  Bugger off.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1092 on: 25 November, 2011, 12:01:53 pm »
Daughter's senior school: Stop sending me emails to links. Just send me the content of that link, why don't you?! Today's message was a link to a link to download a PDF, FFS!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1093 on: 25 November, 2011, 02:59:17 pm »
Now the new Maxx-D won't switch on.
Totally dead.

Wiggle just exchanged it without question.
Sent old one back, and they sent out a replacement straight away.
AND they credited the cost of the return postage to my card, without me asking or anything.   
They just read the postage off the stampy-labely thing.

It's just arrived, so happy bunny again.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1094 on: 25 November, 2011, 08:46:20 pm »

My first free weekend for a while, I was going to go out on the bike :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1095 on: 25 November, 2011, 08:56:02 pm »
The train manager on my train this evening described it as 'exceptionally crowded'.

I thought it seemed much like the last half dozen times I've caught it.

I'm thinking of emailing TPE to let them know about how you can make trains bigger, by adding carriages?

Helpfully, he also advised people getting off of the gap between platform and train,and to use the handrails when alighting. Which, he added, even more helpfully, were on either side of the doors. Gosh.

« Reply #1096 on: 28 November, 2011, 11:17:32 am »
Next door: So, the frost is back. That means the return of your refusal to scrape ice off your car's windows and to start up your (diesel) engine ten minutes before you leave. Thanks very much for the noise & the pollution. I do, really, hope someone steals your car from the drive, as that is the height of laziness and is also pretty inconsiderate.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1097 on: 28 November, 2011, 12:20:41 pm »
My back has gone spang for the second time this month.  Arses!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1098 on: 28 November, 2011, 12:46:32 pm »
Self.  You live in Bournville (occasionaly).  You have a card giving you access to the Cadbury staff shop. 
 Why are you constantly paying silly money for full priced chocolate in railway station buffets?
Sort it out!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #1099 on: 28 November, 2011, 01:09:11 pm »
Rather then taking my scrap metal to a nice little scrap merchant 20 miles away, as it is no longer enroute to work, I thought I would try a local large scale scrap metal yard.
Shouldn't have bothered really.
I couldn't tell if I got a good price as they didn't tell me the weight, never asked what it was or where it came from, the yard is covered in oil from breaking engines and gearboxes (without fully draining them I suspect), bits of metal are littering the drive routes so there is a risk of punctures and plant is in action in the public areas without any verbal or signed warnings.

My usual merchant has a dry concrete yard that is swept clean, oil free and he is happy to show the weight of metal received and will ask were it is from and examines it all for anything mixed or dodgy.
Oh well, it is worth paying for a bit of extra fuel to go to a clean and well run yard in future.