Author Topic: Demolishing a greenhouse ?  (Read 7609 times)

Re: Demolishing a greenhouse ?
« Reply #25 on: 22 April, 2021, 08:24:16 pm »

So, this never got done & now my mother is complaining again.  :facepalm:

Time to order a skip & work out some sort of plan.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #26 on: 22 April, 2021, 08:57:49 pm »
TBF, that does look fucked.

Pallet wrap round the few bits of frame that still have glass in them? Wheelie bin for them, firepit for the rest?

« Reply #27 on: 22 April, 2021, 09:22:07 pm »
At this point, wait for a stiff breeze and it'll demolish itself!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 23 April, 2021, 08:19:23 am »
Wait till November, perhaps a touch of petrol and you're off!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 23 April, 2021, 10:29:47 am »
Wait till November, perhaps a touch of petrol and you're off!
no locals to help?

I always saw it as an advantage of working in the trauma field, that I had ready access to grateful heavies if needed!

« Reply #30 on: 25 April, 2021, 08:04:50 pm »

« Reply #31 on: 25 April, 2021, 08:47:14 pm »

So, this never got done & now my mother is complaining again.  :facepalm:

Time to order a skip & work out some sort of plan.

Order up some sticky sheeting, the sort builders put down on carpets to protect them.  Stick it to the glass like they did in the war to stop windows turning into shrapnel

Fix disposable ropes to the frame put a cheap tarp inside to collect the mess and pull it down from a safe distance.   Put the whole lot in a skip.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #32 on: 25 April, 2021, 09:14:19 pm »
That's probably going to be the plan of action.  I'll need to buy or hire a wheelbarrow as well, to get stuff into the skip.    It's a nasty, horrible job & can't see anyone else wanting do do it without being paid a lot of money.

P.P.

• Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!
    • Paul's blog
« Reply #33 on: 27 April, 2021, 06:02:12 pm »
You'd be surprised what you can get people to do. It will cost you nearly £300 for a skip and I'll bet you can find someone to do it for far less than that.

Try googling local rubbish clearance and give some of them a call. 1/2 a days work max for a man with a van.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #34 on: 27 April, 2021, 07:48:31 pm »
You'd be surprised what you can get people to do. It will cost you nearly £300 for a skip and I'll bet you can find someone to do it for far less than that.

Try googling local rubbish clearance and give some of them a call. 1/2 a days work max for a man with a van.

Unfortunately this could mean that the remains of the greenhouse end up on the verge of a local country lane.
You'll need to check them out thoroughly.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #35 on: 27 April, 2021, 08:07:17 pm »

That’ll go in a mini skip, and even here in leafy Bucks that’s around £70 delivered and collected.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #36 on: 27 April, 2021, 08:49:16 pm »
There's already 2 big yellow bags of assorted garden crap that the recycling centre won't take, so a big skip it will be.

« Reply #37 on: 27 April, 2021, 08:54:40 pm »

That’ll go in a mini skip, and even here in leafy Bucks that’s around £70 delivered and collected.

Make sure that they have a current waste transfer licence (webby)  otherwise it will be you Env Health come for when clearing the lane the stuff is dumped in .
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: 27 April, 2021, 08:57:19 pm »
Try a Hippo skip bag they have offers on most bank holiday week ends currently 15% thinks 1.5 tonnes. Just under 3.5 m3 as against a 4m3 skip.

https://www.hippowaste.co.uk/hippobag/?msclkid=49f58506f73c16fef944e58e9bd38eb2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Smart%20Shopping&utm_term=4579191056102458&utm_content=All%20products

« Reply #39 on: 27 April, 2021, 09:51:48 pm »
Try a Hippo skip bag they have offers on most bank holiday week ends currently 15% thinks 1.5 tonnes. Just under 3.5 m3 as against a 4m3 skip.

https://www.hippowaste.co.uk/hippobag/?msclkid=49f58506f73c16fef944e58e9bd38eb2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Smart%20Shopping&utm_term=4579191056102458&utm_content=All%20products

Thanks Bob,  that might come in useful.   My parents are hoarders,  they never throw anything away & have a house full of useless junk.    Think Wordperfect on 5 1/4" floppies with ring bound manuals. And a PC that can probably run it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 27 April, 2021, 10:27:29 pm »
Cripes, that is proper hoarding.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #41 on: 28 April, 2021, 04:42:48 pm »
Nah, amateurs.  My MIL's flat was waste deep in junk and spam mail.  Took 5 van loads of paper to the tip in the hiace and we hadn't even started on the furniture (or the loft).   We'd a house clearance expert to value it but he said it was less than worthless.  She was deep in debt to mail order houses and half the stuff lay unopened.  She was an ardent brexiteer and farage fanatic, too. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #42 on: 04 May, 2021, 06:48:32 pm »

Thanks Bob,  that might come in useful.   My parents are hoarders,  they never throw anything away & have a house full of useless junk.    Think Wordperfect on 5 1/4" floppies with ring bound manuals. And a PC that can probably run it.
That reminds me of some clearing out I should do . . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #43 on: 04 May, 2021, 07:29:08 pm »
Think Wordperfect on 5 1/4" floppies with ring bound manuals. And a PC that can probably run it.

That sounds like gold to the right person. Proper hoarders only do tat.

« Reply #44 on: 19 June, 2021, 03:11:18 pm »
Well a skip has been booked for next weekend, so I'd better have my Weetabix & get around to it  :-\   

What does the panel think of this as suitable PPE ?  I can always use it for clubbing later    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Welding-Apron-Split-Leg/dp/B07QCNQ2QW/

The alternative would be to scour ebay for 2nd hand chainsaw protection stuff if that's suitable.

« Reply #45 on: 19 June, 2021, 03:34:29 pm »
Some welders gloves and safety specs.

« Reply #46 on: 19 June, 2021, 03:43:39 pm »
Already got a helmet & goggles.  Some Welders gauntlets or gardeners Rose gloves will also be on the shopping list.  Heavy leather walking boots for the feet.

« Reply #47 on: 20 June, 2021, 12:14:53 pm »
Would Kevlar not be better than leather?

So yes chainsaw gear for legs & lower body, but also perhaps a pair of Kevlar gloves plus something like this:
https://www.intersafety.co.uk/product/18-kevlar-sleeve/ ?

« Reply #48 on: 20 June, 2021, 12:46:08 pm »
The thing with the way chainsaw trousers work is that rather than protect you from cuts, the padding (which is very fibreous) gets pulled out of the trousers and jams in the chain so that it stops pretty much instantly.
I'm not sure how useful that would be against broken glass.
In addition to safety goggles I'd probably go for a full-face visor type mask.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 20 June, 2021, 12:52:42 pm »
Welding gauntlets are one of those things that are surprisingly useful and everyone should have some.  They're not even expensive.

This is sounding more and more like a GAMI job though...