Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 221993 times)

Chris S

Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #325 on: 15 March, 2015, 06:29:35 pm »
Top work Jo  :thumbsup:.

Dammit - Kurt's Day 73 shows just what a couple of interrupted days can do. This is such a relentless challenge!

« Reply #326 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:10:24 pm »
Sort of.

Another way of looking at it is that totally blowing a day at this stage of the game means significantly less than 1 mile extra per day for the rest of the year.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #327 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:19:27 pm »
Sort of.

Another way of looking at it is that totally blowing a day at this stage of the game means significantly less than 1 mile extra per day for the rest of the year.
Very true.

that's the beauty of long distance riding; you don't have to sweat the small stuff (like p***tures). I've yet to ride an Audax where I could take a whole day off the bike, but I know Steve has taken several off mid-perm!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #328 on: 15 March, 2015, 08:41:47 pm »
Jo - do you 'correct' the Strava data to match the official HAMR spreadsheet, or just work with the original Strava track logs?

I normally use the Strava data directly. My code will detect and account for segments where the track has been paused between transfers and also flash warnings if there appears to be an unfeasibly fast segment (as occurred on the day Kurt forgot to switch the device off during a transfer). I periodically check my results against the official record and have on a couple of occasions changed my distance figures to match the official ones (e.g. the day that a short 10km track was excluded from Kurt's official record for some unknown reason). For Steve, I also add a small correction factor to the distance to account for the anonymisation of his home location added by Strava.

And thanks for the kind words everyone  :-[ Much appreciated.

red marley

« Reply #329 on: 16 March, 2015, 05:53:18 am »
Day 74: Kurt is back on form clocking 222 miles in balmier temperatures and dryer conditions in Little Rock. Steve takes a  206 mile return trip from MK to King's Lynn.

red marley

« Reply #330 on: 17 March, 2015, 06:29:38 am »
Day 75: Another fenland trip for Steve under grey skies and a cold wind allows him to accumulate a further 218 miles. Kurt is back in his rhythm riding for 210 miles from Little Rock edging back in the direction of WR pace.

« Reply #331 on: 17 March, 2015, 06:45:45 am »
Superb riding by these two. Superb graphs and summaries, thanks again Jo!

« Reply #332 on: 17 March, 2015, 07:50:32 am »
Just a thought but there has been chatter both on here and on Strava about relative heart rates v speed. How easy would it be to plot Av. Hr v Av. Speed as a scatter plot and add a best fit line to show any trend?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #333 on: 17 March, 2015, 08:11:36 am »

Another Fenland tip, yesterday

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #334 on: 17 March, 2015, 09:17:35 am »
Bzzzt... Deviation. The road is lower than the field, and there's a hedge. That's not Fenland. In fact, I'm sure I recognise it, so it must be Essex.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #335 on: 17 March, 2015, 09:30:15 am »
But perhaps you should tell Blodwyn Pig where it is.

Thanks for the graphics and commentary Jo.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #336 on: 17 March, 2015, 10:18:10 am »
The outfit from whom I borrowed the photo have bases in Bedford, Peterborough, Cambridge, St Ives and Ramsey.  Pretty damn' fenny.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #337 on: 17 March, 2015, 10:47:30 am »
Fenny peculiar, or fenny ha ha?  ;D
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #338 on: 17 March, 2015, 11:59:17 am »
A fenny ha-ha is a dyke.
Not especially helpful or mature

red marley

« Reply #339 on: 18 March, 2015, 06:07:30 am »
Day 76: Kurt heads back SE towards Mississippi and returns to his previous form with 211 miles for the day. Steve takes a few diversions to Marsh Gibbon on his ride up to Derby making it a double century.

red marley

« Reply #340 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:44:17 am »
Day 77: Kurt, nursing a nasty insect sting to his eye, joins the Natchez Trace for a scenic 213 miles to Jackson Mississippi. Steve has his shortest day yet comprising a rolling 142 miles and early finish from Derby back to MK.

hillbilly

« Reply #341 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:57:46 am »
Yet another occasion where a lighter than usual day for one of the contenders highlights how relentless and intimidating this challenge is.  Take your foot off the gas and your progress visibly stalls.

« Reply #342 on: 19 March, 2015, 07:11:41 am »
I just see a compression of the vertical and horizontal scales, over-dramatising minor blips.

hillbilly

« Reply #343 on: 19 March, 2015, 07:18:01 am »
Yeah, you're probs right. That's also likely to be a story over the year.  These apparently dramatic drop offs will be barely perceptible in the context of the full 12 months.  A bit like the daily wiggle smoothed out.

red marley

« Reply #344 on: 19 March, 2015, 07:30:17 am »
Possibly. While its certainly true that our current day-by-day analysis is 1/365th of the big picture, it remains the case that it is much easier to lose significant distance than it is to gain it. Both Kurt's recent shorter days and Steve's single day yesterday are visible in the full year picture. It shows how unrelenting is the pressure on both riders.

« Reply #345 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:09:43 am »
'The secret to riding time trials well is not to ride fast but to not ride slow'

Graeme Obree said something along those lines in his book.  I think the impact of the short days on both riders' shows it applies to this event as much as to a 10 mile chase up a dual carriageway. 

Steve's 'short' day yesterday wiped out the impact of all the long days he had ridden in the last fortnight, taking him back to the -1100 contour line.  Kurt's couple of short days put him further behind the average rate than he had ever been. 

« Reply #346 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:58:46 am »
Possibly. While its certainly true that our current day-by-day analysis is 1/365th of the big picture, it remains the case that it is much easier to lose significant distance than it is to gain it. Both Kurt's recent shorter days and Steve's single day yesterday are visible in the full year picture. It shows how unrelenting is the pressure on both riders.

The Tommy Godwin line also clearly shows this as it is obvious where he too his one day off in the year.

« Reply #347 on: 19 March, 2015, 03:53:22 pm »
It's interesting to think of this feedback as part of a complex control system.
These graphs are a key indicator. I wonder if an emphasis on keeping the plots smooth is in conflict with a sustainable approach. Kurt's got an IT background, so a cybernetic view might appeal to him. That might make a good title for an article, 'The ride of the cyber-men'.
Publicity is the other obvious feedback path, hopefully generating some funds for Kurt.

red marley

« Reply #348 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:28:33 pm »
If you have six minutes to spare, here's an animation of Steve and Kurt's progress so far (both to the same scale).

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #349 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:41:25 pm »
Very good! I enjoyed that.

You do get a good idea of their respective speeds.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.