Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 230456 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #450 on: 04 April, 2014, 01:18:44 pm »
Simone Felice, last night at the Brudenell Social Club, Leeds.

Decent support act at the Brudenell for a change - I've only seen one other good support act there (Misty's Little Adventure, FYI), so it was a pleasant change. They were called We Died at Sea, a bunch of lads in a mix of vaguely Southern US attire, from Mississippi steamboat captain to the hoedown-approved belt and baggy shirt sported by the fiddle player. It was definitely a fiddle, rather than a violin, and as they launched into a rowdy opening number it confirmed my initial impression that it was going to be pretty good. I'd seen the double bass being hauled onstage, and that's always a promising instrument to see, as was the washboard wielded by the very emotive percussionist. Seriously, that lad lived every moment of every song. It was a bit of a contrast to the bassist - impassively is the correct way to play a double bass, obviously, but this lad had the act down, and he resembled a young Alan Rickman to boot.

They had just the right level of seriousness, with songs about itinerant wanderers and lost souls and living on the fringes, but it lost a bit of sparkle when they opened their gobs to speak in pure Leeds accents. Cultivate some American accents and commit to the part, lads!

Then it was Simone Felice, and a couple of yes-men on guitar/mandolin/backing vocals and cello/backing vocals. That's a bit unfair, cos they both added a lot to the gorgeous sound coming from the stage, but no one was there to see them. Simone Felice is an amazingly compelling performer, and we were all there to see him. I'm told there was even a scrap brewing to the left of the stage, but I was so absorbed in the set that I never noticed.

He probably could do with someone to tell him when to rein it in a bit - trimming the fifteen-minute version of One More American Song down to a lean ten minutes or so, for example. But for the most part he does a good job of taking the intensity just far enough and knowing when to chuck in an upbeat number. It was actually a pretty upbeat set, and as well as cutting a fairly messianic figure onstage, he gurns better than almost any drummer I've ever seen.

And as is traditional, the encore was a riveting cover of Springsteen's Atlantic City, followed by the finale, a singalong of Helpless, closed with a real crescendo of swirling cello and guitar, and Simone really bashing the shit out of his drums.

The third time I've seen him live - it was fabulous, again.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30024450@N04/13620571615/]

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #451 on: 04 April, 2014, 04:25:44 pm »
My rather shorter review, also posted elsewhere...

Yowser. That were good!

Felice is spectacular, and I like the fact that the three times I've seen him have all been utterly different and totally identifiably him.  I've even forgiven him the poetry from the first gig I saw now, after he punctured his own pomposity so splendidly at one point last night.  A gig that had him chasing hard on the heels of the top dog but still left him in the position of my Second Favourite Singing Drummer.  But then I do really, really like Johnny Huddersfield Helm of the Wave Pictures... the man that made me actually enjoy a drum solo for the first time in my life.

I have been shockingly remiss.  There was also a Stanley Brinks/Wave Pictures shindig at the Hop in Wakefield.  Nice venue, decent range of beers, handy for the station.  Support was Freschard, who I loved last time I saw her.  For reasons unknown she was playing lead guitar on this occasion, which was A Very Poor Choice imho given that her backing band for the set included Stanley Brinks and Dave from the WPs - the latter being the first guitarist ever that has made me actively enjoy guitar solos.  Entertaining audience interaction, a set that Deano concluded was 'uncompromising' (solo for the recorder, anyone?) and interzen declared was 'shite'.  I liked her better acoustic, but would still go see her again and travel to do so and see what happened.  It's be an adventure, if nowt else.  Stanley Brinks was blooming marvellous, and in combination with the WPs is one to definitely not miss.

And an International Women's Week performance at the basement by Union Jill and a Yorkshire poet whose name has currently escaped me.  I'm not a poetry fan, generally.  I don't really get it and never really have.  But I liked this poet.  Union Jill (two women, spectacular harmonies and an array of stringed stuff) sound glorious, sing about among other things the suffragettes, and make banjo jokes whilst one of 'em plays said instrument.  I liked 'em.

*wanders off to see if there's owt decent on this week*

« Reply #452 on: 08 April, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »
Probably Steppenwolf (ahem)  ;D (Actually Cher goodbye tour)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

essexian

« Reply #453 on: 11 April, 2014, 09:32:02 am »
One score year and six ago, the young lady who would later become my considerably better half impressed me by announcing her liking of the popular Manchester punk combo, The Buzzcocks. So much so, one of our first nights out together was to see them play at Edwards No.8 in Birmingham City Centre: a gig which we will never forget (some great fighting in the crowd and a bloke so drunk but friendly on the No.51 bus home that he stayed chatting to us about the band all the way to Walsall when he was getting off at Perry Barr). Oh those where the days my friends, I thought they would never end.

They did, however with the onset of middle age. Going out gigging every other night is no longer possible without a good sit down and a cup of tea afterwards: and even then, only with a large amount of cake to top up my energy reserves.... honest. Most of the time, not even that works, sadly.

However, having had a couple of hours sleep mid afternoon (one of the benefits of working at home), I felt energised to head out with my considerably better half to see Pete, Steve and the other two play a great hits plus quite a few new ones set at the Robin 2 in Bilston. Now we have visited just about every venue in the West Midlands over the last 25 years including some right toilets (The Hummingbird carpet comes to mind...yuk) to some really great places to see bands play: Stoke Sugarmill comes to mind, but we have never been to the Robin 2 before. How we managed to miss it is beyond me as, well its rather nice being just about the right side of large without being massive. Also, the sound quality; often something I moan about, was first rate.

The band itself was, as normal, tighter than a tight thing with added tightness; while I want some of whatever Steve is taking as how can a man heading towards his late 50's have some much energy? I guess he really likes what he does, something which will always keep you going. We had a real shock however when some bloke with a large grey beard took centre stage.....  “what on earth,” I thought, “is our erstwhile breaded correspondent from South East Essex doing on stage?” Not sure Pete, that a grey bread works on an ageing punk.

Talking about ageing punks, there were more beer guts there last night than people in skinny jeans, while bald heads outnumbered spiky hair cuts a 100 to one..... as my considerably better half commented it: “that's you that is....” Sigh. Yes, middle age and balding is me!

Overall, an excellent night out what with an great band playing, a nice venue, an acceptable curfew (half ten) and a 25 minute drive home. Blimey, I was in bed by 11.30! For an old(ish) bloke, that's first rate! :thumbsup:

« Reply #454 on: 12 April, 2014, 08:57:49 pm »
Currently awaiting the Manics coming on stage at the Brixton academy, (son's friend couldn't make it so I'm being a last minute stand in & responsible adult). Scritti politti were a disappointingly medicore support act!

Updated: what a fantastic live band and a great audience resulting in a superb atmosphere. I was surprised how many of the songs I knew as I'm not (wasn't!) a fan.

More guitar-y live than I expected. Son vanished into the 'mosh pit' early on to reappear at the end very sweaty and very smiley!

He'd been super excited beforehand and wasn't disappointed. :{)>

Worth getting home at 2 am for...

For those who know the Manics having now seen the bass player I now see the inspiration for son's style of hair, wardrobe choices,  and eyeliner :{)>
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #455 on: 18 April, 2014, 10:43:05 pm »
Handel's Messiah at Cadogan Hall last night & St Johns Passion at Smith Square earlier today. Two beautiful perfomancrs but I now think I'm choraled out for the rest of the year!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Ruth

« Reply #456 on: 18 April, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »
<envious>

« Reply #457 on: 26 April, 2014, 01:26:15 am »
Tonight was a musical evening.

First off was the Michael Nyman Band at the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, performing a selection of Nyman's work for film.  I never knew that "Memorial" the main theme for " The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover" was written for the victims at Heysel. It will be incorporated into his "Hillsborough Memorial Symphony" to be performed later this year.

The Phil was almost full, with a very appreciative audience.  One chap decided to start singing along and was carried out by security staff!    There were several encores including a piano solo.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IMPBZYCT-4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8IMPBZYCT-4&rel=1</a>   Video of "Memorial"

Review from the local paper http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/michael-nyman-band-philharmonic-hall-7035757

After this I walked to The Caledonia for a session by Blind Monk Trio (video below) and far too many beers....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vgd0xDmVzpA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vgd0xDmVzpA&rel=1</a>

CrinklyLion

« Reply #458 on: 02 May, 2014, 03:17:08 pm »
Last week (I think) was Micah P Hinson, at the Brudenell.  Support was summed up by That Deano as 'at least they aren't Snow Apple.  I don't remember anything else about them other than I think there was a cello and a smoke machine.  And they probably began with a b.  Micah P was rather more memorable, with his omnipresent e-cig and a pint of milk on one end of the keyboard.  It felt a bit precarious at times - most notably when his wife joined him for a couple of songs.  Her voice seemed sweet enough but was lost beside the power of his.  As for the drumming... it was a bit 'Freschard on lead guitar' really.  Interzen will know what I mean.  But I liked Mr Hinson, overall.

Then Krystle Warren, currently touring the UK.  I like her.  A lot.  Enough that last year I went to London to see her.  So I really didn't want to miss out on this tour.  Unfortunately the CrinklyCalendar gave only two vaguely possible dates.  Last Wednesday was the only northern date, or the contingency option was tomorrow.  In Aldershot.  That's a very long way away... which made actually arranging to lose a night of Cubtime and asking a favour from the Cubs' dad, which I don't do very often, and going to Hebden Bridge seem positively sensible by comparison.  Even on a school night.  Even if we did end up missing the planned train back and so not getting back to York until 2:45am.  And anyway, Krystle Warren offered me bread and cheese and beer (to which I said no, cos it was a school night) after when she discovered that we were in for an hour's wait before the long journey (via almost everywhere including Halifax more than once, as it turned out).  And gave me a hug.  Totally worth it :D

« Reply #459 on: 02 May, 2014, 07:34:21 pm »
Last week (I think) was Micah P Hinson, at the Brudenell.  Support was summed up by That Deano as 'at least they aren't Snow Apple.  I don't remember anything else about them other than I think there was a cello and a smoke machine.  And they probably began with a b.  Micah P was rather more memorable, with his omnipresent e-cig and a pint of milk on one end of the keyboard.  It felt a bit precarious at times - most notably when his wife joined him for a couple of songs.  Her voice seemed sweet enough but was lost beside the power of his.  As for the drumming... it was a bit 'Freschard on lead guitar' really.  Interzen will know what I mean.  But I liked Mr Hinson, overall.

I thought I'd heard that name before..... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58889.msg1677854#msg1677854

« Reply #460 on: 02 May, 2014, 08:10:29 pm »
New York noise rock band, "A Place To Bury Strangers" at Dingwalls in London. This is me backstage with guitarist Oliver Akerman. (He's the one in black).

CrinklyLion

« Reply #461 on: 03 May, 2014, 10:49:25 am »
Back to Pocklington last night.  I'm told that one shouldn't go to a gig on the basis of liking the support, but the support was Blue Rose Code who I really like so I did it anyway.  Apparently he's been trying to get a slot in Pock for ages and sneaked onto the bill for last night having recorded with the headliner, Kathryn Williams, recently and set up some dates to support her tour.

Home from work (and a bit of a nap as I was tired and under the weather) then a bus (with driver who will be getting grinked about this morning) to mum's.  Then my elder sister (not otp) and Granny Annie and I wandered and wheelchaired round to the Arts Centre.  I really like Pock as a venue.  It is cosy and comfy and the sound is decent and they sell interval ice cream.  At an eyebrow-raising for Pock 1 minute late, Ross of BRC took to the stage with his gaffer taped guitars and delivered, as he put it, "half an hour of bearded testosterone before the full on hour of oestrogen that will follow" and a slick 30 minutes of tunes and banter is what we got.  Some of my favourites from the first album, a couple I hadn't heard from the new one.  It was assured and engrossing and he seemed to be having a whale of a time, which I always like.  He did comment at one point 'I'm nowhere near this charming in Real Life' but he was perfectly lovely when I spoke to him at the interval - and again when during the headliner's set I had to go to the lobby for a bit because the Cough Of Doom won the battle briefly.

Kathryn Williams was promoting her latest album.  I had listened a little bit and found it pleasant although it didn't grip me.  But I've had that experience before so was open to liking her.  A double bass lurking on stage is always a good sign too.  Plus it led to the biggest laugh of the night when there was a bit of a technical hiccup and Ms Williams had put down her guitar and was scrabbling on the floor with leads and pedals and the sound guy was looking a bit concerned and stuff - and the very laid back bass player, with a little grin, started to play _that_ tune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness_is_a_cigar_called_Hamlet) with the fuzzy haired guitarist/backing singer joining in within a couple of bars and the singer herself torn between swearing at the cheeky buggers and laughing as hard as the audience before commenting when the sound stuff appeared to be fixed and they stopped playing 'that was the best clap of the night!'.  She then, once both she and the audience had finally got over the giggles and regained our composure, did one of my favourite tracks of the set, laying down vocals and looping harmonies with a sweetness and a verve that literally had audience members on the edge of their seats, with the bass and guitar creeping in with a delicacy of touch that brought a smile and dense wordy darkly poetic lyrics.  It got a bigger round of applause.  She also managed to get a nearly bigger laugh when introducing "Count" with the throwaway line "that's got an O in it by the way".

I had to bugger off twice to avoid disturbing the show with the Cough Of Doom - and there were a few other snifflers in the house.  She offered one chap at the bottle of water from backstage and wondered aloud if he'd carked it when he didn't answer.  Asked if there was a plague going on in Pock.  Was tickled pink by the reaction to saying that she was staying at the Feathers (site of much underage Crinklydrinking in the dim and distant past).  Engaging.  The more poppy upbeat stuff still didn't totally grip me, but there were some gems in there that made me glad that I'd liked the support enough to get tickets.  And actually, I like her better than her recordings. 

Oh, and Ross really liked his "Happy first visit to Pock" pressie.  Granny Annie sox.  Blue ones.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #462 on: 07 May, 2014, 09:10:39 pm »
Going to see Neil Finn in Brussels on Sunday night.
Just an excuse to drink beer and eat chocolate, you say?
And?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #463 on: 07 May, 2014, 09:38:10 pm »
Eska, with Laura Mavula at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival (2014).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #464 on: 12 May, 2014, 08:35:03 pm »
Neil Finn in Brussels on Sunday. Good as usual, however those Belgies are obviously stuck in the 80's as he played too much Split Enz for my liking but they were lapping it up.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #465 on: 23 May, 2014, 01:55:12 pm »
Wednesday night, Melt Banana at the Brudenell Social Club

Two supports first, though, an amusing juxtaposition of Legion of Swine and Young Conservatives.

Legion of Swine lived up to the name - he walked onstage in a lab coat and pig mask and half-heartedly entreated the audience to get up. Cue calls of "don't tell me what to do, pig".

The name of the band is Legion of Swine by dean.clementson, on Flickr

About twenty minutes of ambient noise of increasing volume played through a laptop followed, occasionally punctuated by messiah poses from the piglaptopmeister.

And that was it. It did kinda raise expectations for the Young Conservatives - they'd have to come onstage in sharp suits and red braces, or gang-fuck an effigy of Margaret Thatcher for a finale, surely.

Sadly, not. They made a decent enough racket, but they weren't that young, although they were pretty conservative. I've heard it all before - actually, I think I was  once in that band. We were called Mr Evil Breakfast and Alan McGee came to have a look at us.

A quick fag break later, and Melt-Banana were a treat. The last time I saw them they were a four-piece, now down to two, with most of the sounds controlled by the singer, who brandished what looked like an old Simon Says pad. Damn loud, with loads of wit and some damn good tunes lurking behind the noise. They finished with a hilarious cover of What a Wonderful World, and we were off into the night with ears still ringing.

fuzzy

« Reply #466 on: 23 May, 2014, 02:47:01 pm »
The Searchers at swindon Wyvern last night.

60's tastic mate :thumbsup:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #467 on: 26 May, 2014, 01:00:10 am »
At my folk club this evening, Mean Mary, aka Mary James and her brother. Absolutely fantastic banjo playing, excellent fiddle and more than adequate guitar. I avoided the mailing list when I saw the titles of some of the books on offer, though, and the website confirms it. A tad...biblical. Never mind; the music and stage presence were superb. Some links. In the first one, ignore the cod-Injun dressing up and just watch her fingers at the end of the piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CNB5OLUPM0&list=RD6CNB5OLUPM0

In this one, she credits herself as co-writer with some German
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_1DQi_P9MI&list=RD6CNB5OLUPM0&index=34

St James...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUiGWKIJec&list=RD6CNB5OLUPM0&index=14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofAQtE7zHe0&index=9&list=RD6CNB5OLUPM0
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #468 on: 08 June, 2014, 06:30:49 pm »
A selection of bands, including Short Elbow

It is simpler than it looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #469 on: 08 June, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »
Hope&Social on their Tour of Infinate Possibility tour. 12 shows in 4 days, involving local schools at each location.

It was just fantastic.

Check out Red, Red Rose. They opened with it and tore the place down!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #470 on: 09 June, 2014, 01:12:32 am »
Fairport, at Beckenham, and when I get back from Holland I will share with you the joy of Peggy's Hair
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

essexian

« Reply #471 on: 14 June, 2014, 08:44:37 am »
Pet Shop Boys at NEC….

It was like “Almost Aged UK” had arranged a night out for me and 3 000 of my closest friends at the shed that is the NEC…. Fun though in the end.

Our evening started off with the realisation that the gig was not at the NIA as we had thought, but at the NEC! An easy mistake to make of course (well I am sticking to that statement!) but given that it was a Friday night and the M6 is a parking lot most weekends, it could be costly! However, for some reasons I'll never understand, the road flowed well and we got to the venue in good time.

Essexian Top Tip: Rather than pay vast car park charges to park in the NEC car parks, why not park in the station car park as we did? Its only £5 for the evening and closer to the venue than the main parking sites!

Once in the venue we were quite pleased to see that instead of the vast shed that the NEC normally is, only one end seemed to being used, thus we were less than 40m from the stage: which was nice. Sadly however, the sound was as poor as it normally is. That didn’t matter for the “DJ” set before the gig as we spent most of the time with our fingers in our ears….just terrible crap. Call that music? Well it wasn’t!

The gig itself, my considerably better half accurately described later as “a gig of two halves…Harry.” It certainly took some time to get going but picked up towards the hour mark with an impressive light show. However, one of the bands stand out songs: “West End Girls” seemed a little flat to us, whereas “Rent,” I am not ashamed to admit it, joined a small selected group of songs which has made me cry in public….. Actually it was a bit of dust from the lasers….honest.

For me, the highlight of the show was “Go West”…. Love singing along to that song!

Overall, a worthwhile night out but it’s always best to stand at these type of events as sitting doesn’t get you as involved. Will rant about the trip home somewhere else!

Next gig: Dandy Warhols in Nottingham in a couple of weeks time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #472 on: 19 June, 2014, 12:55:58 am »
He wears it well.

Impressive set up
Aged audience
Expert performer
Pricey tickets

Lots of fun.
It is simpler than it looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #473 on: 21 June, 2014, 03:07:47 pm »
'Twas, indeed, a good night.

As mentioned, due to a cock up (by me) WRT the time of doors, I arrived in York $TOO_EARLY, so set about having a few pints (something I don't normally get to do as I am, normally, DES for concerts).  A pint of Titanic Plum Porter in York Taps went down beutifully, the Kirkstall Smaked Black Boy Porter in the Maltings much less so, in fact I left the last quarter of that.  On to the Lendal Cellars, which was mercifully quiet, for a couple of pints of Yorkshire Sparkle (not an alcoholic Gliterberry clone, but rather a very nice Blond Ale), and NO PHONE SIGNAL!!!  All worked out in the end, though.

I thought Idol Dead were good, had a little bit of a "Bullet For My Valentine" thing going on, but I won't hold that against them.  They had a great line in banter and were obviously really enjoying themselves.

As CL says, I am "A Bit Of A Fan" when it comes to Terrorvision, having followed them, on and off, for nearly 20 years now (might be longer, but certainly since "Formaldehyde" came out) and love Tony's stage style.  Self deprecating, cracking jokes and generally having one hell of a party, which he wants you all to join in with.  A few notable highlights of the evening, song wise:
"Party Over Here, F*** you over there" was complete with a member of the audience stood inbetween Tony and Milly.
"Tequila" was cut right back (as you might expect when all they had, instruments wise, was 2 guitars and a keyboard) and felt like it had when they first recorded it (and not that heretical remix)
The Laika Dog* song they did worked really well, too.

I would have loved to hear them do a couple of old songs, one which was a B-side (Hard To Feel) and one which is another Laika Dog song (Daddy What's Your Soul?)

*Laika Dog is Tony's side project, or one of them at least.  In common with a lot of the smaller bands (and some larger bands) the members don't just commit to one band, they spread themselves about a bit!

Last night was the reprise of this, with my younger brother actually managing to get along to this one!

Similar mix of songs, along with a couple from Tony's solo album.  These I didn't really get, but hey, they may grow on me.

Lots of beer drunk, songs sung and a good night, all in all.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jakob

« Reply #474 on: 23 June, 2014, 06:58:30 am »
Vancouver Jazz festival started this week, but I got a million things going on, so I was only going to see Hiromi Uehara:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfAqWdxSJ9Q

Because I was very late buying tickets, I could only get a seat to the side and the sound was horrendous. Easily the worst of any gig I've been to (Classical, jazz, punk, metal, you name it). It was 90% drums, 8% piano and then occasionally you could pick up a muddy & buzzy bass.
This wasn't helped that the supporting act was awful as well. More of a dance/electronica act than jazz and the sound was equally poor. (And showed why you should never let the percussionist be the main creative force).

Really disappointing, more so as I was really looking forward to finally seeing Hiromi live.
So, despite not really having time, I decided to go and see Bill Frisell tonight. I've seen him twice in the last few years and both have been amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhg2CoE_jOQ
Basically an interpretation of the music that inspired him as a kid (space age).  A lot of his work is inspired by 'Americana', but last time I saw him (2 years ago),  he was doing a "Lennon" which was mindbogglingly  good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9a87Q3w7Ds