Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 230511 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #600 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:11:33 am »
Just in from seeing Rory McLeod at the Green Note in Camden, where the stage is about the same size as my bathroom and about three inches above nominal ground level.  Fortunately we were able to perch on stools some five feet from Mr McLeod and thus had an unparalleled view of his left armpit.  To call him a folkie or even a singer/songwriter would be to do him a disservice as he spends at least a third of the average gig telling stories and generally making the audience cry with laughter.  Ably backed up in the second half by Bob on clarinet and saxophone and Diego on harp.  Top stuff.

Bloody Hell!!! Is he still going?  Saw him at the Hibernian in Birmingham in the 90s :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #601 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:44:21 am »
Miss von Brandenburg first saw him supporting Roy Harper, I think in the late 80s.  Mr McLeod is alive and well and living in the Scottish Borders.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #602 on: 26 May, 2015, 12:26:15 pm »
I have 3 or 4 of his CDs from his Cooking Vinyl time and still listen to them occasionally - 'Lullabies for Big Babies' is on my phone music library so different tunes keep popping up at random :)

« Reply #603 on: 29 May, 2015, 04:18:44 pm »
Bill Laurance Project @ The Lantern (formerly Colston 2) in Brisl last night. Really astonishing.I expect jaded could explain exactly how much hair is needed just to put on this gig.
Here's a bit of the awesomeness that was on show last night.

Mothership, Snarky Puppy, are touring UK early October. Get your tickets NOW. jaded doesn't have to bother, he's connected.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #604 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:42:34 pm »
Two-night stint by Einstürzende Neubauten at the Ancienne Belgique in Brussels. First night was 'greatest hits', with Blixa Bargeld on fine & droll form & two hours of glorious stuff. As good as that night was, the next night was even better. Last year they released and toured 'Lament', a performance piece commissioned by the town of Diuksmuide in Flanders as part of WW1 commemorations. Missed the London show, which I've been regretting ever since I read the reviews... The album is amazing, but it's meant to be heard live…and it was absolutely extraordinary. In places poignant and blackly funny, beautifully melodic and incredibly ferocious, utterly unsentimental, and grounded in extensive research. Every show I've seen by them in the past 22 years has been brilliant, but that was the absolute best. I've got some great gigs lined up in the rest of the year…none of them will top that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #605 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:30:11 pm »
Bill Laurance Project @ The Lantern (formerly Colston 2) in Brisl last night. Really astonishing.I expect jaded could explain exactly how much hair is needed just to put on this gig.
Here's a bit of the awesomeness that was on show last night.

Mothership, Snarky Puppy, are touring UK early October. Get your tickets NOW. jaded doesn't have to bother, he's connected.

Hair?

A lot.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #606 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:32:34 pm »
Just back from Chameleons Vox at the Concorde in Brighton.
As I arrived there were some goths playing, who I'd warmed to by the end.
The Chameleons were really good. Brilliant, clear sound, really gelling as a group from the off (Swamp Thing, a floor filler from my youth). I wept as they played Second Skin. This is a song that is dear to me, but I'm not given to crying. Lots of dancing, much smiling.
Just a hint of light in the sky as I did the brisk walk back to the station.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #607 on: 30 May, 2015, 08:01:27 am »
Swervedriver at Norwich Arts Centre on Tuesday; disappointing, and not just because the bass player couldn't make it, replaced by a bloke from Supergrass (he did okay).

They have always been about a mix of melody, harmony and loud 'n' jangly guitars with loads of pedal effects; this was just too loud. I wish they had turned it down to 10 to let the music out. Same thoughts from 19 y.o. son and my mate Russ, neither of whom are averse to a little loudness.

However, bought their new album at the gig - a superb return to classic Swervedriver.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #608 on: 30 May, 2015, 10:41:25 am »
It seems to be a disturbing trend, this "eleven is too quiet" business.  Miss von Brandenburg suspects the sound bloke who messed up the vocals at the Masters Of Reality gig the other week was the same idiot who cranked it up so loud at another gig she attended recently - a solo Swede with a piano - that even hardened fans were retreating from the stage.  She Had Words; the sound idiot just made a complicated gesture suggesting that he was unbothered, or mutt, or both.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #609 on: 30 May, 2015, 11:18:39 am »
It's what earplugs are for.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #610 on: 30 May, 2015, 12:39:52 pm »

Quote from: Lemmy
Ted Nugent?  He's not loud; not for the size of hall he plays in.  Plus he's a cunt.  He wears earplugs.  What's the point of having all that volume if you can't hear it?

« Reply #611 on: 30 May, 2015, 12:47:16 pm »
Quote from: Lemmy
Ted Nugent?  He's not loud; not for the size of hall he plays in.  Plus he's a cunt.  He wears earplugs.  What's the point of having all that volume if you can't hear it?

To be fair, he is on the NRA, so might just have the earplugs in case he hears someone talking sense and forgot to take them out.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #612 on: 30 May, 2015, 12:56:52 pm »
Most people wouldn't consider going out in bright sunshine without sunglasses but don't give a shit about their hearing.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #613 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:40:11 pm »
Pardon?

« Reply #614 on: 06 June, 2015, 10:51:01 am »
A very pregnant Amanda Palmer in Leeds. She is very, very funny live. I can take or leave the uke songs but she's amazing on piano.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #615 on: 13 June, 2015, 01:13:00 am »
Half Man Half Biscuit at the Apex in Bury St Edmunds.  Nigel Blackwell was on goood form, taking the piss out of the front row and jabbering on about his half-share in a luminous frisbee - "invented for Goths".  Bassist Neil Crossley demonstrated a hitherto unsuspected (by me, anyway) talent by swapping instruments with lead guitarist Ken Hancock for a couple of songs.  I have some crappy phone photos which I may post tomorrow if I can be arsed.

Only downside was failing once again to meet AWL at an HMHB gig chiz.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #617 on: 13 June, 2015, 12:34:03 pm »
I'm fairly certain that I was at the IOW festival last night. Or, rather, it came to me across the water on a southerly breeze. If that was what I was hearing it was bloody loud.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #618 on: 13 June, 2015, 06:47:32 pm »
A very pregnant Amanda Palmer in Leeds. She is very, very funny live. I can take or leave the uke songs but she's amazing on piano.

1) bother, I missed that.
2) do you get the feeling that the baby's bedtime stories will be very very dark...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #619 on: 14 June, 2015, 11:45:17 pm »
Tony Visconti, Woody Woodmandsey and Glenn Gregory performing The man who sold the world.  Then they did another load of Bowie classics. It was great.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #620 on: 15 June, 2015, 07:27:30 pm »
Having expected to miss all their dates on the current tours, an unexpected last minute-ish plan formed to catch The Burning Hell at Arden Road Social Club on Friday and The Wave Pictures at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge on Saturday. 

Silly trains, 1:30am kebab shops in Leeds city centre, spectacularly vomiting drunks on the last TPE out of dodge Leeds and getting home after 3am and the Halifax trip was absolutely worth it.  Friendly welcome from the promoter on the door - they were relatively impressed with Dean travelling from Darlo for the evening, but he was trumped by the guy who'd come from Brighton.  Nice enough venue although, as Deano commented, it was more set up for a bingo night than a gig.  And at the top of a bloody big hill.  They seem to get some decent acts in though, so I'll probably keep an eye on it...

First support was a solo slot by the BH's bassist, Nick Ferrio who I quite liked but maybe didn't see at his best - I suspect it was a tough-ish space/audience for a bloke with a guitar and a turn for the whimsical.  Good call from the venue to switch the glitter ball for this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHiix4p1mZ8
https://youtu.be/yHiix4p1mZ8
Next up was From the Woods, who were OK (although I couldn't make out a word and generally speaking the lyrics are Quite Important to me) and I wouldn't have minded listening to a song or three by them.  Shame they seemed to do the same one on repeat, really.  Shortening both support sets and getting the headliners on rather earlier would, I think, have improved the evening generally as well as meaning I could have been home by 1am not 3.  But The Burning Hell were utterly splendid while working damn hard to get what felt like a very mixed (and very talk-y) crowd on side and on their feet, and did so most successfully - especially when they came back for an encore and threw in a new one, a quiet little duet by Mathias and Ariel telling the story of when they met.  I don't think it had a title.  Bloody good it was.  Seen 'em three times in three spaces now and I think that might have been my favourite so far.  Plus also they 'liked' my facebook comment.

A Saturday of dashing about meant a later-than-ideal train to Hebden Bridge, straight up a bloody cliff face (the innocuous sounding Birchcliffe Road) to find the hostel and drop off a bag then more or less straight back down the hill to town where we found Peter, or he found us, and we headed to the Trades Club.  The running order on the wall made it clear that Peter would have a choice of seeing the main attraction or catching his train home and made me very glad that the scheduled bus replacement service out of Leeds after midnight meant that I was staying overnight and didn't have to make that decision.  Turns out that the event was basically a promo for an upcoming local festival, and they'd booked three bands of differing flavours from the line up for that.

First up, Bird to Beast.  Bloke with assorted stringed things and singing, woman with a voice and occasional keyboards.  Oh, and a  tambourine for one of them.  I liked her best when she was playing something as the "expressive" hands were a touch off putting.  "Accomplished" was the word that sprang to mind - I'd turn up to listen to them again, possibly even as headliners, although I wouldn't catch a train for them.  Astonishingly good for the opening act in a three band line up, I started to wonder if we might be in for a real corker of a night.  They were followed by something-with-Foxy-in-the-name, who were loud, numerous and easily young enough to be my kids.  Seemed to be going down well with much of the audience but I was not unpleased when the assembled company suggested retiring to the other room where conversation was just about possible.  Apparently this meant that we missed the punch up on the dance floor, which is always an added bonus. 

Regretfully Peter stuck to his plan to catch the train to make a tram connection and get home and so missed the Wave Pictures who were, as on every occasion that I've seen them, jolly splendid indeed, and gave us a good hour and a quarter which meant I was very glad indeed to have that bed in the hostel as we were way beyond last train territory.  I still think I really shouldn't like them all that much, with their guitar solos and the drum solos and the male vocalists which are none of 'em things that usually flick my bic.  But I really like them anyway :D

« Reply #621 on: 15 June, 2015, 08:42:54 pm »
A great night out.  I even travelled home with one of the fightees!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #622 on: 15 June, 2015, 09:00:21 pm »
Lau and Tinariwen are both excellent and should be checked out if you ever get the chance

Me and Lesley saw them in Bristol at Coulston Hall recently, excellent

« Reply #623 on: 16 June, 2015, 01:26:08 am »
Having expected to miss all their dates on the current tours, an unexpected last minute-ish plan formed to catch The Burning Hell at Arden Road Social Club on Friday and The Wave Pictures at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge on Saturday. 

Silly trains, 1:30am kebab shops in Leeds city centre, spectacularly vomiting drunks on the last TPE out of dodge Leeds and getting home after 3am and the Halifax trip was absolutely worth it.  Friendly welcome from the promoter on the door - they were relatively impressed with Dean travelling from Darlo for the evening, but he was trumped by the guy who'd come from Brighton.  Nice enough venue although, as Deano commented, it was more set up for a bingo night than a gig.  And at the top of a bloody big hill.  They seem to get some decent acts in though, so I'll probably keep an eye on it...

First support was a solo slot by the BH's bassist, Nick Ferrio who I quite liked but maybe didn't see at his best - I suspect it was a tough-ish space/audience for a bloke with a guitar and a turn for the whimsical.  Good call from the venue to switch the glitter ball for this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHiix4p1mZ8
https://youtu.be/yHiix4p1mZ8
Next up was From the Woods, who were OK (although I couldn't make out a word and generally speaking the lyrics are Quite Important to me) and I wouldn't have minded listening to a song or three by them.  Shame they seemed to do the same one on repeat, really.  Shortening both support sets and getting the headliners on rather earlier would, I think, have improved the evening generally as well as meaning I could have been home by 1am not 3.  But The Burning Hell were utterly splendid while working damn hard to get what felt like a very mixed (and very talk-y) crowd on side and on their feet, and did so most successfully - especially when they came back for an encore and threw in a new one, a quiet little duet by Mathias and Ariel telling the story of when they met.  I don't think it had a title.  Bloody good it was.  Seen 'em three times in three spaces now and I think that might have been my favourite so far.  Plus also they 'liked' my facebook comment.

A Saturday of dashing about meant a later-than-ideal train to Hebden Bridge, straight up a bloody cliff face (the innocuous sounding Birchcliffe Road) to find the hostel and drop off a bag then more or less straight back down the hill to town where we found Peter, or he found us, and we headed to the Trades Club.  The running order on the wall made it clear that Peter would have a choice of seeing the main attraction or catching his train home and made me very glad that the scheduled bus replacement service out of Leeds after midnight meant that I was staying overnight and didn't have to make that decision.  Turns out that the event was basically a promo for an upcoming local festival, and they'd booked three bands of differing flavours from the line up for that.

First up, Bird to Beast.  Bloke with assorted stringed things and singing, woman with a voice and occasional keyboards.  Oh, and a  tambourine for one of them.  I liked her best when she was playing something as the "expressive" hands were a touch off putting.  "Accomplished" was the word that sprang to mind - I'd turn up to listen to them again, possibly even as headliners, although I wouldn't catch a train for them.  Astonishingly good for the opening act in a three band line up, I started to wonder if we might be in for a real corker of a night.  They were followed by something-with-Foxy-in-the-name, who were loud, numerous and easily young enough to be my kids.  Seemed to be going down well with much of the audience but I was not unpleased when the assembled company suggested retiring to the other room where conversation was just about possible.  Apparently this meant that we missed the punch up on the dance floor, which is always an added bonus. 

Regretfully Peter stuck to his plan to catch the train to make a tram connection and get home and so missed the Wave Pictures who were, as on every occasion that I've seen them, jolly splendid indeed, and gave us a good hour and a quarter which meant I was very glad indeed to have that bed in the hostel as we were way beyond last train territory.  I still think I really shouldn't like them all that much, with their guitar solos and the drum solos and the male vocalists which are none of 'em things that usually flick my bic.  But I really like them anyway :D

All true. The Arden Social Club in Halifax was alright, lots of decent touches such as the framed twelve-inches and old NME covers decorating the walls. Not a bad walk from the station through a leafy bit of Halifax. Nick Ferrio was OK, the second support were From the Woods, and about the most interesting thing I can say about them is that they're about to play support to a band called To the Trees. Fairly standard metal grind, mostly unobjectionable (and at least they were competent, could play their instruments, and appeared to have practised), apart from the annoyance of each song starting with a cracking intro then going swiftly downhill. It became quite frustrating after three-quarters of an hour.

The Burning Hell were, of course, fabulous. About the only disappointment of the night was that they didn't pick up on the t-shirt which the bassist in From the Woods was wearing, which was something like this. and would have been a perfect opportunity to play Nostalgia or something else from Flux Capacitor.

I was also astonished by how good Bird to Beast were. At least, as soon as I went to the bar and couldn't see the band anymore, I was amazed, as they sounded so much better when I didn't have to look at them. They were just a bit annoying onstage, but they made a great sound, and never stood still, so they covered a lot of musical ground. I really enjoyed the filthy Bowie-esque riff on the finale. Pretty sure they're local to Hebden, as there was a guy from Tod making some comment about them. They'll probably be a lot better when they have some years in them, as some of the lyrics were a bit old for them.

And that was pretty much the problem with the next lot, who didn't seem like owt special, just a bunch of young lads and some sixties props. Shallow Purple. I couldn't take them seriously, so we decamped to the games room, even though I kinda wanted to see if the barefooted bassist would pratfall on the long scarf he'd draped around his guitar.

The Wave Pictures topped the night off beautifully. I've said it all before - they're a cracking band.

« Reply #624 on: 16 June, 2015, 01:49:16 am »
(I don't think there's a "what's the last gig you rode to" or "have you been out to a gig today thread", so I'll put this here)

My weekend wasn't quite over, as the Burning Hell were also playing Boro last night (Monday). I'm usually not that faffed about seeing a band twice on the same tour, but on Friday night in Halifax, they mentioned that there was a chap named Chris who was going to every gig they were playing, and they were going to do their best to make it interesting for him.

So hurrah! For me, this meant the Boro gig was going to be different to Halifax.

The last train out of Boro to Darlo is 23.04, though. That would always be tight, and I'd have to take my bike. And I thought I may as well ride - generally you have a tailwind to Boro and a headwind back, so getting a train there and riding back would be the stupid way to do it.

I arrived about 8.30, a few songs into Nick Ferrio's set, and he did indeed come across much better in a small space, especially with an audience who were there specifically to see the Burning Hell. There was a funny story about getting a prostate examination from a doctor who turned out to be a fan of the band, and he even got Boro singing a bit.

I had missed the first support, a local act called Dressed Like Wolves, who I've never managed to see yet. Apparently they were good. The other support were another local bunch named after a transmitter, and the first couple of songs were about space travel and astronomy. What's not to like? Winter Hill Transmission, they were called. Basically, they were the Wedding Present, or the Wedding Present after listening to Sigur Ros. I really enjoyed their set, not least their air of being a bunch of secondary school teachers on a jolly.

Of course, the Burning Hell were great. I got a bit of laughter when the band asked what the best thing to do in Middlesbrough was, and I shouted back "Leave!". They played a different set, it was bound to be in a much tighter setting (in the bar of the Westgarth - I don't know how we all fitted in there), with lots of songs dedicated to members of the audience. I spotted the same beardy chest-beating fan we'd seen at their gig at the Laundrette last year. Barbarians and Schoolyard Scrappers and Nostalgia, and the same gorgeous duet as an encore, followed by the rousing duet The Things That People Make, which Nick the bassist really bawls out with gusto.

If I'd left before the encore, I still would have missed the last train ;D

It was a decent enough ride back, home by half midnight and a flat ride on a warm June night. There are worse ways to get back after a gig (see above).