Author Topic: Vatternrundan  (Read 29325 times)

Martin

Re: Vatternrundan
« Reply #25 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:22:27 pm »
booked a bed in the hostel both ways at Vingaker; 230SKR + 50 for sheets :o

I could almost buy the Ikea sofa of the same name for that, I'm going to try to avoid all financial transactions as much as poss from now on; good thing Sweden didn't go into the euro...

« Reply #26 on: 28 April, 2009, 08:28:00 am »
We've got a room in someone's apartment for 3 nights (before, during and afterwards).
Our start time is 00.32 so at some stage the faster riders will come breezing past.

Looking forward to it, especially the beer at the end  ;)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #27 on: 29 April, 2009, 03:04:04 pm »

I'm getting more and more in doubt if I'll be ready to ride it this year.
My back are still keeping me more off my bike than on it  :-[

Martin

« Reply #28 on: 06 May, 2009, 10:29:29 pm »
anybody interested in meeting up in Motala for a pre ride beer briefing Thursday night?

(if it's in a bar in Sweden it may be a very short meeting but we could use another venue such as a campsite; I plan to be in the gym that night)

and another celebratory one on the Saturday?

« Reply #29 on: 06 May, 2009, 11:16:21 pm »
anybody interested in meeting up in Motala for a pre ride beer briefing Thursday night?

We could do that !

(if it's in a bar in Sweden it may be a very short meeting but we could use another venue such as a campsite; I plan to be in the gym that night)

Since we're taking the car and I'm familiar with alcohol prices in Sweden, we'll have packed a few bottles to keep us company  ;)

and another celebratory one on the Saturday?

We can definitely do that  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #30 on: 06 May, 2009, 11:47:58 pm »
there are also grupettos forming across the road (BR and CC) for this ride so you may need a large boot  ;)

« Reply #31 on: 07 May, 2009, 12:16:02 am »
there are also grupettos forming across the road (BR and CC) for this ride so you may need a large boot  ;)

Sounds like a money making opportunity  ;)

Martin

« Reply #32 on: 21 May, 2009, 09:29:58 pm »
Got my start pack today; have dropped a bit of a pollock as I was rather hoping to sleep in the gym Thur night and it doesn't open until Friday;

Now where's the Bujshaltionen guide?

It seems the other major attraction in Motala is climbing up the 120m radio mast (+1)

Martin

« Reply #33 on: 26 May, 2009, 03:10:07 pm »
in case anybody else hasn't read the smal print we need to have reflectors front rear and side if starting before 02.50;

Fortunately a box of uncool safety stuff like brakes reflectors etc came with Zoom jr's BMX at Xmas.

I'm hoping two orange pedal reflectors ziptied to the drops will do for side ones. If not I may have to seek out some spiv with a suitcase full of ankle ones on the Friday

« Reply #34 on: 26 May, 2009, 10:15:36 pm »

I'm hoping two orange pedal reflectors ziptied to the drops will do for side ones. If not I may have to seek out some spiv with a suitcase full of ankle ones on the Friday

This concerns me  :(
I thought that the orange reflectors on my pedals were what's required. They're visible front-rear, not from the side.

Do you think that I need to do an emergency shop for wheel reflectors ?

Having just looked at the video on the web-site, none of the bikes that I saw had anything visible on the sides.
Might get some reflectors, just to be on the safe side.

Martin

« Reply #35 on: 27 May, 2009, 07:36:32 am »
according to cyclechat they don't even check but a couple of side reflectors (don't caravans still have to have them?) in your luggage won't hurt.

« Reply #36 on: 27 May, 2009, 08:28:27 pm »
I'm in Stockholm tonight  :thumbsup: Watching Utd.  :(

Looking at the (many) bikes earlier, I would say that 80% have orange spoke reflectors.
I think, to be on the safe side, I'll fit some to our bikes before the start. They might fall off after a few km.

Martin

« Reply #37 on: 07 June, 2009, 10:30:05 pm »
if anybody is still here; see you all Thu in Motala; I'll be watching the weather (and especially wind) forecast keenly between now and then

« Reply #38 on: 09 June, 2009, 08:44:35 pm »
If you're receiving Martin, we're in Sweden already (Alingsas) and arriving in Motala on Thursday pm.
I'll PM you with my mobile number and, if you're around, let's see about a beer before and/or afterwards.
Mind the moose.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #39 on: 14 June, 2009, 08:55:29 pm »

Hi you two guys

Hope you made it round the lake, I'm sorry I wasn't there.
Lack of training and a doctor who said no, meant I didn't go.

G

« Reply #40 on: 14 June, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »
We made it in about twice the time that Martin did !
We met up Thursday night and then briefly on Saturday.
Haven't seen him since............
I assume that he's riding back to Stockholm where it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale.
The things you Audaxers do. Respect  :thumbsup:

Note to self:- get fitter, practise on hills, ride 'til I'm (nearly) sick and aim for sub 15hr Vattern (stretch goal * 12hrs). Hhhhmm.

* Yes I have worked for American companies.

« Reply #41 on: 15 June, 2009, 08:59:26 am »
Received a text from Martin, he had a great time

Martin

« Reply #42 on: 15 June, 2009, 03:58:35 pm »
Received a text from Martin, he had a great time

until today.

well actually it was ok just a bit dull 173km back from Vingaker but I had a tailwind and not much rain.
As to the ride itself, a fantastic experience and an incredible buzz. part PBP, part Sportive, part London-Brighton.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone it  was well worth the journey (857km riding in total). just checked into a very nice alcohol free hostel in Stockholm :-\, now to go and find a System Bolaget and some chips  :P  ;)

btw my time an unbelievable 10.55. Gus you were right about all the groups, I was on the front of one for about 30km

and nice to meet you chocolatebike and Mrs cb  :)

full RR and photos to follow

Martin

« Reply #43 on: 17 June, 2009, 10:12:35 pm »

« Reply #44 on: 17 June, 2009, 10:31:18 pm »
and nice to meet you chocolatebike and Mrs cb  :)

full RR and photos to follow

Best to say it's not Mrs CB!

I'll post some photos and thoughts when I get home at the weekend.
I'm still in awe of your time Martin  :thumbsup:

red marley

« Reply #45 on: 17 June, 2009, 11:31:14 pm »
Nice one Martin - glad you had/got a good time.

This really makes me want to do it again as it does have a unique atmosphere and great support, not to mention unlimited supplies of gherkins inna bun and blueberry soup. Were you there at the evening start when all the leather clad motorbike marshals lead out the senior vets? Quite a spectacle.

Maybe we should consider tying to get a YACF team together for next year?

Martin

« Reply #46 on: 17 June, 2009, 11:55:44 pm »
Nice one Martin - glad you had/got a good time.

This really makes me want to do it again as it does have a unique atmosphere and great support, not to mention unlimited supplies of gherkins inna bun and blueberry soup. Were you there at the evening start when all the leather clad motorbike marshals lead out the senior vets? Quite a spectacle.

Maybe we should consider tying to get a YACF team together for next year?

No I was asleep in the sports hall; my group got led out by 2 bikers and that was at 0232; I assumed this was routine.

next year? well I really wanted to do this ride with my friend Matthew who came to France last year and it was just not possible to do different distances as the Halfvattern was the week before so we've promised to both do l'Ariegoise next year, but I will certainly try to do it again.

There is a regular group who travel down in an "Orient Express" type old sleeper train which parks in the station all weekend.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 18 June, 2009, 10:58:05 am »
RR here

Vatternrundan
Nice read, thanks.

10h55? Just shows how difficult our 30kph limit is over a longer distance ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #48 on: 18 June, 2009, 11:36:41 am »
Martin, are you going to send this report and some of the pics to Tim for Arrivee?  It's certainly got me thinking about next June...
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Martin

« Reply #49 on: 18 June, 2009, 01:34:34 pm »
RR here

Vatternrundan
Nice read, thanks.

10h55? Just shows how difficult our 30kph limit is over a longer distance ;)

you need to ride with Bianchi Boy    ;)