Author Topic: Grand Tour de Stour  (Read 1441 times)

Grand Tour de Stour
« on: 24 May, 2018, 10:10:49 am »
Grand Tour de Stour this weekend, and the forecast looks suitably grand as well.

Relatively new to the audax world, but having tried a few winter rides (including a somewhat chilly Cambridge Pork Pie - barely got above freezing) I am REALLY looking forward to an audax ride during which extremities don't turn blue and there's type I, as well as type II, fun to be had.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Re: Grand Tour de Stour
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2018, 10:16:41 am »
It's a nice route and flattish. I averaged 18.5mph when I did it in 2016.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2018, 06:49:14 pm »
... (including a somewhat chilly Cambridge Pork Pie - barely got above freezing) I am REALLY looking forward to an audax ride during which extremities don't turn blue and there's type I, as well as type II, fun to be had.

Sorry about that, the weather I ordered got lost in the post  ::-)  Still, those who started seemed to have fun, even if occasionally it was type III.

Grand Tour de Stour will be both warmer and flatter than PP  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2018, 07:21:21 pm »
OMG, I think it's 10 years since I rode this. It goes to Haverhill, right? I think I stopped for Ice Cream there.

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2018, 07:29:20 pm »
Last time out, if memory serves correctly, we were approaching Harwich in bright sunshine, when out of nowhere a rain and hail storm hit us. There was no time to get waterproofs on before we were washed away. After the deluge passed, and just over the small rise where some of us were riding at the time, the verges were white with hail, on a day that was rapidly returning to sun.

Although TigaSefi calls it flat, I've always struggled with this one, and mostly got back to the HQ first time at a snail's pace, and not gone out for the final loop. After the poor weather earlier this year, I've not built up to do a  few 200s before this one, so I'll be on the not-so-Grand 100km for a change.

Great ride though. Sorry to be missing the Harwich end.

« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2018, 08:51:12 pm »
Although TigaSefi calls it flat, I've always struggled with this one, and mostly got back to the HQ first time at a snail's pace, and not gone out for the final loop. After the poor weather earlier this year, I've not built up to do a  few 200s before this one, so I'll be on the not-so-Grand 100km for a change.

To be fair I had a well oiled Kingston Wheelers train to help flatten any hills and I did blow up a little on the hills after Haverhill or possibly just before it in Steeple Bumpstead area. All good though with some gels and a lot of massaging of my cramps!

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2018, 10:11:36 pm »
Bures did for me :-[

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2018, 08:46:27 am »
The Wee Mactaggert and I rolled round the 200 on the tandem without too many dramas. Varying amounts of rain in the morning and enough sunshine in the afternoon to prompt a pub stop in the last hour. There weren't too many places where we could stay in the same gear for minutes at a time, so we classify the route as 'rolling'.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:54:23 am »
Thoroughly enjoyed that - despite the somewhat damp start. That did prompt a short conversation on whether riders could justifiably hold organisers personable responsible for "weather". We decided we could ;D

Pleasure to meet the tandem riders - many thanks for the huge tow! And Nik from ACME - hope you enjoyed that pint.

Primarily due to being towed by Littlewheels the first 135k was covered in a shade under 30kmh average. I got slower after having had a disagreement with my lunch and a puncture in Haverhill.

Super ride.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind