Author Topic: Ride to The Viper, Mill Green, mid Essex - Sat 28th March  (Read 7560 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Ride to The Viper, Mill Green, mid Essex - Sat 28th March
« on: 14 March, 2009, 11:10:21 am »
I have a free day on Saturday 28th March and thought it an ideal opportunity to fulfill a long held ambition and ride to The Viper, Mill Green, mid Essex.  By all accounts this is an excellent pub with good food and beer, plus it used to have its own cycling club at one time.

I'm not sure about timings yet but the plan thus far is to ride over from Witham in the morning, have a spot of lunch then tootle back home.  If you would like to join me on the ride or meet me at The Viper I would be delighted.

What state I will be in remains to be seen as there is the Essex Pub Night Ride the night before.  Fortune favours the brave  ;D

Hopefully my new bike will be ready  :thumbsup:

Re: Ride to The Viper, Mill Green, mid Essex - Sat 28th March
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2009, 11:17:03 am »
that's be a nice day ride from here...  Tempting, if I'm free!

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2009, 12:38:01 pm »
If all goes to plan, I should be hacking round the Essex lanes on my new speed machine, which urgently needs building over the next 11 days as I'm entered on a 25 mile time trial on the 29th! I will happily stop at the Viper for your company, and to show off my new wheels ;), but I should probably refrain from the beer. O:-)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2009, 02:19:16 pm »
The Viper is a very good pub, and allegedly the only pub of that name in Britain. There is a group of drinkers there who have had their own "Viper Cycling Club" jerseys made.

28th March sound like a very good day to visit the Viper. I will endeavour to be there, probably approaching from South Hanningfield, Stock and Ingatestone.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2009, 02:31:54 pm »
Smashing!

I will inform everyone of timings nearer the time.  I have to drop Twinkle Toes off at the station as she is going on a trip with Cubs and I'm not sure what time she's off.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2009, 02:44:16 pm »
Depending on your timing, I might ride up to meet you and approach from a different direction.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2009, 04:52:31 pm »
Depending on your timing, I might ride up to meet you and approach from a different direction.

Cool, I am anticipating that I will have to drop her off between 9 and 10am so perhaps you could get the train and meet me at Witham station.  The route I have picked out is about 28 miles there (round Hanningfield Reservoir) and about 20 back thru Chelmsford.  I should know more next Monday which is the next time Twinkle Toes is at Cubs.

annie

« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2009, 05:02:45 pm »
Would love to but Arabella and I have decided to ride out to Lavenham to wave at those on the Stevenage Start of Summertime 200.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2009, 05:08:22 pm »
Would love to but Arabella and I have decided to ride out to Lavenham to wave at those on the Stevenage Start of Summertime 200.

That's a shame.  It's been such a long time  :'(

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2009, 06:40:26 pm »
Hmmm, this is appealing to me too. I'm starting off in Colchester so would probably have to drive down to Witham unless you're starting later in the morning. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2009, 06:47:34 pm »

You'll have a long wait as the SSOS 200 is on Sunday 29th.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11 on: 17 March, 2009, 07:33:24 pm »

Hmmm, this is appealing to me too. I'm starting off in Colchester so would probably have to drive down to Witham unless you're starting later in the morning. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

The more the merrier. You can park at our house if you'd like. PM me for the address.

annie

« Reply #12 on: 17 March, 2009, 09:42:51 pm »

You'll have a long wait as the SSOS 200 is on Sunday 29th.

Whoops.  Thank you Chris. :-*

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:18:46 am »
I'd love to join you on this - the Viper is on my TODO list ;) - but I'm looking after the kids on the 28th whilst Mrs O does some NCT volunteer stuff.

Cheers,
Mark
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #14 on: 19 March, 2009, 05:30:53 pm »
The Viper is my favourite pub in the world and I practically live in there during the summer months  :P

I'm in!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15 on: 19 March, 2009, 05:52:26 pm »
The Viper is my favourite pub in the world and I practically live in there during the summer months  :P

I'm in!

Excellent.  We can firm up times next week, our lives are in bimbo and dependent on a Cub Scout trip.  How does that work?  The Cub leaders are our next door neighbours so if I see them in the next day or so I will get times before the weekly meeting on Monday.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #16 on: 21 March, 2009, 08:30:55 am »
I'm in!  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #17 on: 21 March, 2009, 08:37:28 am »
I'm hoping to be there. Erron I was too late with my entry for hardriders so I can have a couple of scoops.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #18 on: 21 March, 2009, 10:56:30 am »
Have a nice time, peeps. I'd love to be with you, but I'll be at work. :(

« Reply #19 on: 22 March, 2009, 07:54:52 am »
I was there yesterday  :) It was very busy (as it always is when the weather is fine) and food took some time to arrive. But that wasn't a problem as it gave time to sink a few pints of "Jake the snake". The food was, as always, superb. I had the chilli. They do it in mild, medium and hot. If you order hot and they don't know you, they will point out that it really is hot! And boy was it!

May I suggest trying to arrive in reasonable time? Around 12:30? Any later and getting a table may prove difficult. (Assuming glorious weather of course)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #20 on: 22 March, 2009, 09:42:39 am »
I was there yesterday  :) It was very busy (as it always is when the weather is fine) and food took some time to arrive. But that wasn't a problem as it gave time to sink a few pints of "Jake the snake". The food was, as always, superb. I had the chilli. They do it in mild, medium and hot. If you order hot and they don't know you, they will point out that it really is hot! And boy was it!

May I suggest trying to arrive in reasonable time? Around 12:30? Any later and getting a table may prove difficult. (Assuming glorious weather of course)

I am seriously looking forward to the ride.

Can't see 1230 being a problem for me.  Will know more about my timings tomorrow. 

FatBloke

« Reply #21 on: 22 March, 2009, 09:57:07 am »
12:30 is fine!

More time to drink!! Drink in the atmosphere is what I meant of course.  ;)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #22 on: 22 March, 2009, 10:10:32 am »
12:30 is fine!

More time to drink!! Drink in the atmosphere is what I meant of course.  ;)

So what time shall we set off?

FatBloke

« Reply #23 on: 22 March, 2009, 10:18:41 am »
10:30ish should do it, n'est pas?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #24 on: 22 March, 2009, 10:21:57 am »
Are we still doing Friday night as well?  Hope so.