Author Topic: The whys and wherefores of Packing a ride  (Read 23970 times)

Chris S

Re: The whys and wherefores of Packing a ride
« Reply #50 on: 07 July, 2009, 01:13:54 pm »
So is that it? Does it all come down to motivation?

No, it's because you are lazy  :P

Yeah... I've heard that before  ::-).

« Reply #51 on: 07 July, 2009, 02:44:05 pm »
I've packed enough rides that I've lost count.  Some were vaguely important to me, but it's the trade-off between hardship and enjoyment.  DNS I'm really bad at, particularly perms as Mr Webb's inbox will testify...

I haven't been riding so much audax this year, but more riding as/where/when I feel like it.  Even that has its challenges.  On Sunday, I rode about 90km from Aberystwyth to Shell Island to take part in a rowing race.  I made good time, getting there in about 3 1/2 hours.  The row was harder than planned and ended in a capsize.  I dried out from that, just in time for it to start raining heavily for the ride home.  There was a raging headwind and I only had a lightweight waterproof.  I didn't help myself by picking the shorter hillier route home and the crawl over happy valley was v. unpleasant.  By Machynlleth (30km to go), I was broken.  I headed for the station and was told that I'd just missed the train home (3 hours to the next one).  I thought about a taxi, but eventually pulled myself together, ate my bonk rations and finished the ride.  It was 4 1/2 hours home all told.  The point to this long o/t anecdote - I'd have got on a lot better if I'd planned better, had better kit and looked after myself.  I think that would apply to the majority of my failed Audax rides too.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

DanialW

« Reply #52 on: 07 July, 2009, 02:56:59 pm »
Poor Andy. He suffers, you know. Proof on file.

Andy, don't worry about all the DNSs and DNFs. Your DIY admin is so good, rubbing your proposed routes really isn't a problem.

Chris S

« Reply #53 on: 07 July, 2009, 02:59:21 pm »
Poor Andy. He suffers, you know. Proof on file.

That reminds me Danial, take this thread as notification of my DNF on Saturday  :D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #54 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:08:43 am »
I was averaging no more than one DNF per 50 brevets for a number of years.  Until last Saturday, I'd DNFed every brevet I'd started since July last year.  Lots of reasons, lack of motivation, planning a date starting before the latest finish time of a brevet, injury and simply not enough fitness.  Hopefully I'll be able to drop the DNF:finish ratio again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #55 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:43:30 pm »
I find myself frequently contemplating factors which motivate and demotivate on audax rides.

I say this in the context of having packed 1 calendar ride in an audax “career” spanning about 200 points, with the vast majority having been earned since 2005.  I packed on the Daylight 600k in 2003 through lack of fitness and also have packed maybe around 6 or so permanent rides since then, all probably falling into one of two categories (1) a feeling early on in the ride that “my heart’s not in this today” or (2) boredom resulting in lack of motivation to carry on.   But never after half way - it would need to be mechanical or medical after the turn.   

I find that calendar events provide their own motivation i.e. aside from anything else, there’s a sense of not wanting to let the organiser down (even though most organisers would probably want a struggling rider to pack on safety grounds).  Any ride will have its own sense of achievement on completion, and there’s maybe a points target SR or another award at stake to help us going.  Riding with a group is also a positive [e.g. the fantastic Kingdom Come group perm in 2009] as the sense of camaraderie keeps spirits up, aside from the inherent energy saving especially when leading from the back.  Then there’s the also the question of practicality eg if I’m at the head of Glen Lyon on the Tayside 300k there ain’t very much I can do but keep riding, even if I’m cabbaged, while a ride with umpteen railway stations en route can provide the temptation to call it a day.   

Permanent rides are harder mentally especially those ridden solo and for me this is accentuated for longer distance rides.  If your riding a solo perm, probably only you and the organiser knows that you’re riding it and there’s far less “loss of face” in giving up.  Equally though, the thought of having quietly completed a solo event “under the radar” can provide some motivation too.

I have found myself making specific provision to avoid the negative on solo perms over 200k, for example not taking a bike computer (or putting it out of my line of sight) as I’ve found that a hard spell can feel worse when its being measured out in 10 metre instalments or if I see that my average speed is dropping like a stone.   I also find that setting a target to be at a particular place by a certain time can also be demotivating - even with a lot of time in hand there’s a risk I’ll beat myself up about being 15 minutes behind “schedule”.  For the same reasons I have learned to try and avoid making predictions about arrival times if meeting up with the rest of the human race on an audax ride (B&Bs, friends, relatives etc – you know the scenario, you said you’d be there by half past five and you heroically overcome a series of mechanicals and a headwind to get there by quarter to six, only to be met with faintly concealed disdain over your diminishing cycling ability - or maybe that’s just me).

One thing that I’ve found to rate very highly on the “positive feelings of well being : weight” ratio is a small radio, to the extent that I have on occasion rigged it up fixed to a map holder to ensure quality reception.  I have tried an mp3 player but it doesn’t have the same effect – I tend just to switch off with an mp3 player as I know what’s coming next as it were, but I can happily listen to speech based radio for hours and hours – great for a through the night section.

Finally, of all the rides that I have packed, I’ve not regretted having done so, which probably means that I did the right thing.  But I would say that just to justify it wouldn’t I?

Ramblings over - need to get out on a bike now.       

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #56 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:49:37 pm »
St Garmin is the Patron Saint of Packing.

border-rider

« Reply #57 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:50:40 pm »
I've packed on a few perms - in most cases because I was bored and lonely and close to home, and on a couple of occasions because I was at home, having controlled there, and CBA going out again :)

I've technically failed to finish a  couple of calendar events, again by dint of just going home, but that was always my intention with those and I'd ridden to the start from the point I'd packed  - so I got the miles in if not the points.

I've only really packed on two events - one was multiple chain failure on the Kidderminster Killer so that's excusable as it can be, and once on a 400 when I'd done the fun bit, had a load of tedious nightime main roads ahead,  and was perilously close to the B&B where Mrs MV was staying on her own.  Guilt kicked in, and could not be assuaged by the thought of a nice ride to come.

I get less angsty about it all these days.  As long as the organiser isn't inconvenienced and I've told them I'm out, it's just a ride.  There'll be others.

« Reply #58 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:53:17 pm »
IIRC I've packed 2 rides through intense knee pain (turned out to be saddle about 2cm too high) and PBP through illness.  

I've DNS'd loads of rides either through having something better to do, other commitments or not feeling like riding in crap weather.  

Can't say I've regretted any of those decisions, and although it hasn't happened yet, if I was riding and the fun vs acceptable misery balance was tipping the wrong way I'd not care less about calling it a day.

It is, as MV says, a bike ride after all.

simonp

« Reply #59 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »
I've packed two 600 calendar events. One due to fatigue and stomach upset. Another due to sense of humour failure after too much rain and wind. And a diy 200 due to risk of ice.

The second 600 i really regretted packing as I was only 15km from the next control at Sedburgh and I would have turned away from the gale force winds at that point. Having that experience and the regrets helped me in similar conditions during LEL about a year later. My resolve was much stronger.

« Reply #60 on: 21 January, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
I try not to pack if I can help it, however I have done enough events in the rain and am quite prepared to pack in the event of a sense of humour failure brought about by intense wet/cold/chaffing nads.
Stats for 2009 were as follows:-
4 x DNS, (1 x weather, 1 x mechanical and 2 x physical)
5 x DNF, 2 on MTB events, 3 on Audax (2 x mechanical, 1 x physical, 1 x weather and 1 mental attitude)
This out of 50 events. But one if the DNF's was after 739miles!!

« Reply #61 on: 22 January, 2010, 12:42:30 pm »
I've had a run of 'failures'.

5th Dec Tinsel Lanes DNF (mojo failure)
11th Dec DIY  :thumbsup:
19th Dec Dick Turpin Perm DNS (snow)
30th Dec Dick Turpin Perm DNS (boss made me work)
2nd Jan DIY DNF (toys out of pram- at 194km, thanks for pointing that out Danial)
16th Jan ECE Nips 3 DNS (fear factor)

I reckon they're all valid reasons and don't really regret them (except perhaps the 'boss' one!). I'll be out again on the 30th giving January another attempt.

simonp

« Reply #62 on: 22 January, 2010, 12:56:33 pm »
I spent muchof PBP '07 being desperate to pack but thought if I packed I'd only have unfinished business.   :hand: So I got round.  By the time I got to 800km I realised I was going to be able to do it.

« Reply #63 on: 22 January, 2010, 02:39:52 pm »
I remember cheering you on at Fougeres on your return leg.  Each to his own, but that is one ride that I don't regret packing and will never return to. 

simonp

« Reply #64 on: 22 January, 2010, 02:55:39 pm »
I remember cheering you on at Fougeres on your return leg.  Each to his own, but that is one ride that I don't regret packing and will never return to. 

I remember it well.  One of the high points, that, though it did remind me of your misfortune in being unwell.

I also remember Fougeres as where my knees really started to hurt when sitting down, and for a cute American or Canadian cyclist I was chatting to over lunch.  Also it was around that time that I was riding with a group of mad Danes for a while, and I really enjoyed that.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #65 on: 22 January, 2010, 03:32:46 pm »
Last year I packed a ride because the wind blew me across the path of a cars on two seperate occasions.  I chose life and returned to Carmarthen and caught the train.  If I had continued a few more miles, I would have arrived at the lunch time control calmed down and continued the ride.

plug

« Reply #66 on: 22 January, 2010, 06:09:38 pm »

Fougeres on the return, 07.  A delicious beer and baguette au jambon. Fresh arse-grease and clean shorts. Wankhead's tender ministrations in the bus. Happy days  :).

simonp

« Reply #67 on: 22 January, 2010, 06:22:06 pm »
I can't get my head round the idea of beer during PBP.

A couple of beers last night after swimming club => a real slog cycling home on fixed against the wind.

« Reply #68 on: 22 January, 2010, 09:09:00 pm »
In my short Audax career(2008:1x300, 2009: 200, 300, 2x400, 1x600, LEL) I packed once. Two weeks after my first 600 I tried another one. With 5500 elevation meters. While starting 115km from the start, at home. I knew I was pushing it, which was the purpose, because next to LEL I was considering the Nordbayern 1200.

The first 70km were flat, but at the control I needed just a bit more time than the group(having done 115km more than most others). Usually I'm not the slowest, so I pushed to find some others again. I never found them. At the second control, at 220km, there were no other riders either. I really needed someone to persuade me to continue, because I was not behind schedule. I was just alone, and pissed by the weather(changing all the time) and the stupid Belgian hills. I think lack of sleep also didn't help. The ride started at 5am, and to get to the start I left home around midnight. I might have had 1 hour of sleep.
I was just not enjoying the ride, and put the Nordbayern 1200 off my mind.

This is when I found out that Bastogne has no trainstation anymore. The next trainstation was another 30km further(next control was 87km), so in the end I still had done 379km.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

border-rider

« Reply #69 on: 22 January, 2010, 09:13:56 pm »
I can't get my head round the idea of beer during PBP.

worked for me.  In 2003 I had a very nice evening meal on the Thursday night at Mortagne, washed down with a load of wine.

By day 3 it makes no difference..

« Reply #70 on: 22 January, 2010, 10:12:43 pm »
I have packed 1 calendar event in my 5 years of Audaxing. My wheelman was having a hard time with the weather and the descents and he knew where the nearest train station was. I didn't need any persuading and don't regret it, it was a foul day and I was not enjoying it but hoping it would get better - it did apparantly. Packed several DIYs and don't really care, not the end of the world. If there is an easy option to make it back I am likely to take it if I am at a low ebb, often that isn't possible so I'll just carry on and try to ride through the bad patch. Only once been forced to pack because of injury, that time I was taken home in an ambulance three weeks later. I was not able to walk, carrying on was not an option. Never packed due to a mechanical.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #71 on: 22 January, 2010, 10:36:57 pm »
Last year I packed a ride because the wind blew me across the path of a cars on two seperate occasions.  I chose life and returned to Carmarthen and caught the train.  If I had continued a few more miles, I would have arrived at the lunch time control calmed down and continued the ride.

I have packed 1 calendar event in my 5 years of Audaxing. My wheelman was having a hard time with the weather and the descents and he knew where the nearest train station was. I didn't need any persuading and don't regret it, it was a foul day and I was not enjoying it but hoping it would get better - it did apparantly.

there is obviously a law stating that a ride will always get better just AFTER you have packed... ::-) ;)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #72 on: 22 January, 2010, 11:23:01 pm »
 I have only packed on one ride, the New Forest 1000km at 750km with achilles tendon trouble.

I rode the last 500km of PBP 2003 with a similar injury and paid for it big time after I think that was in the back of my mind as to how much time I would need off work to recover.

I have pushed myself hard to finish rides, too stubborn for my own good sometimes.
 The Denmead 300 has always been tough for me, riding after a week of gastro trouble wasn't good prep, a fast 200km nine hours  then feel sick the last 100 taking another seven. I wanted that ride as a qualifier and allthough I felt crap new at the pace I was at still had time to finish the ride.

I bonked badly on an Easter Arrow with Mal Volio, Manotea, JWO and Paul once and I'm not sure who was worried more me or them :)
 My experience from the Denmead mean't I knew it would be hard but I could still do it, eat as much as possible despite not wanting too and slowly recovered over the next 50km

Generally I will ride the ride and if I am in on time all the better, it has worked so far :D mind you I don't enter loads point chasing so that could change things.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #73 on: 24 January, 2010, 03:32:27 pm »
At least yesterday it was "because it would now be impossible to finish in time".

I find the combination of low morale and a nearby steam railway hard to resist.

« Reply #74 on: 24 January, 2010, 07:42:41 pm »
It's definitely a mental thing.

I've packed on a number of the Henham/Ugley events. They go in circles, returning once or sometimes twice to the HQ as an intermediate control. Sometimes, the prospect of apple pie and custard is more tempting than the prospect of the last lap...

I've never packed on a Stevenage event. They go straight out in a line, turn round, and come back in a parallel line. There are almost no trains providing an escape. Once you're at the turn, packing is not really an option.

The question is whether you get through the bad bit. Last year I struggled at 150k and would have packed if I could. By 200k I was, for the first time, wishing it was a 300k event.

Maybe I'm just mentally weak :D