Author Topic: Wowbagger's weightlifting  (Read 15506 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Wowbagger's weightlifting
« Reply #75 on: 22 August, 2023, 03:50:35 pm »
Today was a Murph Challenge - or a cut-down variety of, as suited to a Gentleman of Gently Advancing Years.

The two exercises which I really find a problem are on the spot jumping and squats, during which I have to touch a low box with my arse and then stand up again. Really does things to the quads. I was supposed to complete 100 each of these during the session, and I think I managed 75 of each. Other stuff I did complete: pull-up variants using a weights machine rather than my own body weight; box press-ups; something involving weights, lying on my back on a bench and spreading my arms, a dumb-bell in each hand. I wish I could remember the technical names for these things.

Since the torture on my birthday, I've largely steered clear of deadlifts. I think I exacerbated an ancient back injury and that hasn't really gone, despite being almost 2 months ago.

I'm not too bad with squats but really don't like lunges (although I'm quite good at Bulgarian lunges).

My PT is doing a lot of work on my shoulders at the moment, so lots of dumbbell flys, supported rows, etc.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #76 on: 28 August, 2023, 10:40:14 am »
Quite a satisfying session this morning. 3 sets of deadlifts: 8 * 40kg, 6 * 50kg, 4 * 55kg. Also, lifted 90kg balanced on my knees, using ankle flexes. I'm sure there's a proper name for this sort of thing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #77 on: 29 August, 2023, 10:05:21 am »
Yesterday's session must have worked because I ache a lot today and am making Old Git Noises every time I move.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #78 on: 14 December, 2023, 11:18:27 pm »
I missed my sessions for the whole of November because I was ill - I had a dreadful cough which now seems to have gone. Jan had the cough as well, and at one point she coughed so hard that she ricked her back. This was so painful to her that she decided to seep physiotherapy, so she went to see My Man Kieran.

As a result, we now go to the gym together and do different exercises at the same time. I think this is good, because Jan, as a matter of course, gets even less exercise than I do.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #79 on: 18 December, 2023, 11:30:54 am »
Jan's second session in the gym today. She has been introduced to the delights of deadlifts. She started with a bare 20kg bar and managed 4 reps of 6 lifts.

Meanwhile, I was lifting 50kg: 2*6 reps, 2* 8 reps and a final set of 14.

Regulator

« Reply #80 on: 18 December, 2023, 12:05:28 pm »
We're doing the annual 'Heaviest for One' this week.  I'm aiming for 130kg on the deadlift - not sure about the back squat...

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #81 on: 20 December, 2023, 09:51:39 am »
We're doing the annual 'Heaviest for One' this week.  I'm aiming for 130kg on the deadlift - not sure about the back squat...

So this morning, I managed 165kg on the deadlift and 110kg on the squat.  There's another chance on Friday to better that.

Green Party Councillor