Author Topic: What's happening when you feel unusually cold?  (Read 2028 times)

What's happening when you feel unusually cold?
« on: 27 September, 2023, 06:55:02 am »
You know those days when you're ill and you feel the cold or feel cold even though it's not. Well I'm not obviously ill buy I feel unusually cold compared to normal around this time of year in these conditions. I'm sat in a train with my fleece and coat done up nearly shivering I feel cold.

I find I do get the odd period of time feeling cooler than other times. A day or even hours without any change in actual outside temperature. There must be a mechanism/ cause and if there is then it'll have a name and cause. Anyone know?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What's happening when you feel unusually cold?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2023, 07:25:49 am »
Hypoglycaemia?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:23:18 am »
Get your thyroid hormone levels checked. This pretty much describes what happened to my other half, made worse after we lost our excess weight (insulating fat!). It turned out his weight was keeping him warm and masking the fact that his thyroid was underactive enough to need medication. We can still sit side by side with him bundled up in a fleece and me cooking off wearing shorts and a T-shirt, because my tamoxifen menopause means I have no temperature control either. :-\

L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

sam

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:33:27 am »
My wife gets like this. We call them her attacks. Absolutely nothing will warm her up. Inconclusive medical tests, though we know she has very low blood pressure when it happens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2023, 08:22:14 pm »
If you are ill the body reacts by raising a fever.
It resets the 'thermostat' and you react by shivering and shutting down circulation in the peripheries.

Some substances are 'pyrogens' and cause a fever.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2023, 08:51:36 pm »
I spend all summer feeling too hot, and all winter feeling too cold.  I think I'm one of those reptilian shape-shifters that's forgotten how to shape-shift.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:29:28 pm »
I'd check for nearby polar bears. With those big furry coats, they can stay cold for weeks.

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2023, 10:27:44 pm »
On one memorable occasion I got Delhi Belly 1,000 miles south in Chennai (which is effing hot), and found myself shivering under a blanket in the sun. Fortunately, the hotel doctor provided some Good Stuff.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2023, 03:43:00 pm »
If you are ill the body reacts by raising a fever.
Yes. Something I learnt through the news reports of covid was that the fever that covid brings on is the body's attempt to kill the pathogen. Raise body temperature, create a hostile environment for the virus. A similar thing with swelling, redness and heat around the site of a bacterial infection in the skin.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2023, 03:50:49 pm »
Immunisations (any kind) are well-known for promoting a fever response.
That's why paracetamol is often recommended after various jabs.

Those of us who have felt rough after recent Covid & 'flu jabs probably raised a fever, which was responsible...

« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2023, 10:38:38 pm »
Well I was at my local hospital's UTC for another thing and a part of the check up the GP in residence thought I might have a viral infection too so I suspect that subtle temperature change I noticed must have been the early stages of a minor infection. It went by lunchtime.

« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2023, 01:48:34 pm »
Something you can feel if you ride an audax Easter arrow.  I remember four of us sitting in a pub before the overnight stage, we’d all put all our layers on but we’re still shivering whilst normal pub goers were in their shirt sleeves.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 03 October, 2023, 06:50:45 pm »
Something you can feel if you ride an audax Easter arrow.  I remember four of us sitting in a pub before the overnight stage, we’d all put all our layers on but we’re still shivering whilst normal pub goers were in their shirt sleeves.

Suspect you had a fuel shortage and weren't using your muscles at this point. It's also possible you were dry.

A mix of sugar, starch and fat, washed down with a pint of fluid might put you right.

I NEEDED indoor night-time controls on Audax!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2023, 12:57:12 pm »

Where was the pub?  Newcastle?

On a sample of two Easter Arrows, the maximum temperature I can recall at night (when it wasn't raining) was about 7C
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 09 October, 2023, 01:46:33 pm »
Of course, if you're chilled to the marrow you could well be in a Norn Iron church in mid-February.  There are plenty of old codgers who go down like dominos of pneumonia after a mate's funeral.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15 on: 16 October, 2023, 03:58:40 pm »
Eating a meal usually cures it for me. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #16 on: 16 October, 2023, 04:05:12 pm »

On a sample of two Easter Arrows, the maximum temperature I can recall at night (when it wasn't raining) was about 7C

Lincolnshire

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 16 October, 2023, 04:10:01 pm »
Lincolnshire

Land of 'lazy' winds, which go right through you...