Author Topic: World Cup (football) 2014.  (Read 37620 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: World Cup (football) 2014.
« Reply #500 on: 15 July, 2014, 10:44:07 am »
Do you think the FA has the clout to thwart the intentions of the money-grubbing clubs?

No.

Edit.  The English fans have been conned into supporting lucrative franchises which have nothing to do with the name over the door or their locality.

Come to think of it, even the name over the door is the name of some far-away company.

"Yeah, I was born in Norf Lahdan so I have a natural bond wiv Arsenal, I fink it's the French Manager, the (sometimes) 100% non British XI on the pitch and the historical link to "The Emmirates"  whatever an Emmirate is, I fink it's a local Fish Market"

"Our Johnny Foreigners are better than yours...doo-dah...doo..dah"

Still, it beats watching Tennis.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #501 on: 15 July, 2014, 12:37:13 pm »
Another, possibly crucial difference is that nearly all top tier German clubs are largely owned by the fans and as such are actually run as clubs rather than poorly-maintained BigCos.  Young talent is encouraged and ticket prices kept low.  An adult can't get into Stamford Bridge for less than forty quid (if s/he actually wants to watch the game rather than a concrete pillar); a Several of Bundesliga clubs charge less than a tenner.  A Premier Leauge spokesdroid has said that ticket prices are "about right".  Bayern's chairman has said that fans "are not a cash cow" ???

I'd rather hoped that the money Liverpool swindled out of some bunch of credulous FOREIGNS in exchange for Chewy Luis would be spent on something useful, but it seems they need a Serbian winger previously plying his trade in Portugal.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #502 on: 15 July, 2014, 01:06:38 pm »
Another, possibly crucial difference is that nearly all top tier German clubs are largely owned by the fans and as such are actually run as clubs rather than poorly-maintained BigCos.  Young talent is encouraged and ticket prices kept low.  An adult can't get into Stamford Bridge for less than forty quid (if s/he actually wants to watch the game rather than a concrete pillar); a Several of Bundesliga clubs charge less than a tenner.  A Premier Leauge spokesdroid has said that ticket prices are "about right".  Bayern's chairman has said that fans "are not a cash cow" ???

Astonishing.

By which I mean it's astonishing anyone pretends that English football is getting it right  :facepalm:

It was rather nice to see an Audax rider at the weekend riding with an AFC Wimbledon branded jersey!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #503 on: 15 July, 2014, 02:30:57 pm »
Spain didn't do so well.  Is Barcelona not owned by the fans?  Certainly agree that "English" football is not getting it right.  Welcome to Newcastle - home of French (2nd div.) football..... .

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #504 on: 15 July, 2014, 03:04:35 pm »
Bilbao, Osasuna, Real Madrid and Barcelona, apparently.

Surreal Madrid is owned by a consortium of thieving Spanish trawlermen.  Trufax.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #505 on: 15 July, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »
Spain didn't do so well.
Oh how naive I have been. Clearly England must be a better side than Spain, and the Premiership is the model every other nation should aspire to.

Cheers  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #506 on: 15 July, 2014, 04:40:43 pm »
Spain didn't do so well.
Oh how naive I have been. Clearly England must be a better side than Spain, and the Premiership is the model every other nation should aspire to.

Cheers  :thumbsup:

What Spain did was take a slight break from winning everything in sight for the last few years.

European Champions 2008
World Champions 2010
European Champions 2012

Champs League was Madrid vs Madrid
A Spanish team have won it in 2014, 2011, 2009, 2006, 2002 & 2000

If Spanish football is failing then it certainly had a good run before doing so.

« Reply #507 on: 15 July, 2014, 07:04:08 pm »
Chaps, chaps, I merely alluded to the post about Germany having fan-owned clubs!  Barcelona was famous for this long before anyone knew that there were German ones (you have to be old to know this).   Many of the Spanish team came from Barcelona but the corollory didn't seem to work for them this time and it seems likely that it was only a coincidental factor in their past success - or did the fans teach them how to play football, as well?

No, I think that sadly for all of us the Spanish team just had too many people in it who were past their best.  I would love clubs to be taken away from the oligarchs and I include Mike Ashley in this but at the moment I am reduced to revising my French so I can read Newcastle's programmes.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #508 on: 15 July, 2014, 10:06:16 pm »
Interestingly, both the English and German teams have been described as "young".  One set of "young" players went home with its collective tail between its legs, the other with the World Cup in its luggage.  Explain yourself, owl-face.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #509 on: 17 July, 2014, 11:45:16 am »
England fall to 20th in World rankings.

I think that's probably about right, although all the teams between 20th and 40th are probably about the same, so we may just as well be 40th, it just means we're "sort of average".

Spain were "humiliated" but they scored 6 goals and got 3 points.

We scored 2 goals and got 1 point.

So, doing some fairly basic algebra, where humiliated = h and England = E:  E=3h.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #510 on: 17 July, 2014, 11:57:04 am »

I think that's probably about right
, although all the teams between 20th and 40th are probably about the same, so we may just as well be 40th, it just means we're "sort of average".

So, doing some fairly basic algebra, where humiliated = h and England = E:  E=3h.

I've removed the bullshit from your post.

I'd add that Spain are still ranked 8th - which is probably about right.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #511 on: 17 July, 2014, 12:05:57 pm »

I think that's probably about right
, although all the teams between 20th and 40th are probably about the same, so we may just as well be 40th, it just means we're "sort of average".

I'd add that Spain are still ranked 8th - which is probably about right.

Cheers Matt.  I'd return the favour but the Doctor told me I only have about 40 years left to live.

(click to show/hide)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #512 on: 17 July, 2014, 12:18:46 pm »
 ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #513 on: 17 July, 2014, 02:31:06 pm »
FIFA tells Nico Rosberg to change his celebratory helmet design.

If I was Britney I'd get my Dad to sort Sepp Blatter out ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #514 on: 18 July, 2014, 10:40:16 am »
Scan0199 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...