Author Topic: Removing tubeless sealant residue from inside mudguard  (Read 2006 times)

Removing tubeless sealant residue from inside mudguard
« on: 11 November, 2019, 11:21:56 am »
After a few years of using tubeless on my commuting bike, I have started to get a build-up of latex, mixed with dirt, inside my mudguard.  I noticed this when it started to rub against the tyre.  I was able to fix this by adjusting the mudguard, but it is going to happen again and, eventually I'll either have to get it off, or replace the mudguard.

I'm sure others have had this problem.  Is there an easy way to get the sealant off?  It's pretty sticky and my initial attempts with a screw driver didn't get very far.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Removing tubeless sealant residue from inside mudguard
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »
I have a similar problem.  I will try Isoprpyl and Xylene.  I'll let you know how well they work.  I am using Stan's and Orange Seal, not Caffe Latex

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:04:15 pm »
Same issue here, I use a stiff scrubbing brush when I wash the bike (Caffe Latex)

One issue I do have is a splatter on my fixed which I can't get off, Doc Blue iirc and it's dried to look like I've ridden through a puddle of custard, so will be interested in any none mechanical approaches...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:26:32 pm »
If you freeze it, it might chip off (with a wooden scraper, like an old kitchen spatula). Try chewing gum freeze spray or similar.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2019, 05:46:48 pm »
WD40 and some scraper action.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2019, 06:56:25 pm »
How do peeps get it off their clothes?  :-\

[of course I'm assuming that SOMEONE reading this thread is uncouth enough to ride without guards ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2019, 06:59:56 pm »
Good old elbow grease and a scraper, or as mentioned up thread a stiff bristled scrubbing brush.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:06:27 pm »
lots of scrubbing action to clean it off the bike, i had to do this twice so far - not fun. it's impossible to clean the spots from the fabric after the sealant dried out.

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2019, 06:16:37 am »
Pushing hard with a scraper not so practical on a mudguard - could easily break it then have to replace.  And my freezer isn't big enough to get my bike into it! 

My proposed solution before starting the thread was to get a wire brush attachment for my electric drill and give it a whirl.  I would do it outside.  My concern is that the rubber might just gum up the brush. 

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2019, 06:50:31 pm »
I'd have thought that the problem with a wire brush on a drill would be going through the mudguard (unless it's a steel one).

« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2019, 09:54:52 pm »
Here's a controversial but easy fix...….

…..USE INNERTUBES. :P O:-)
And you don't have that problem + wheels & tyres are cheaper (at present). :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2019, 09:57:12 pm »
I'd have thought that the problem with a wire brush on a drill would be going through the mudguard (unless it's a steel one).

Yes, that was why I was asking in here before I tried it!

« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2019, 09:58:59 pm »
Here's a controversial but easy fix...….

…..USE INNERTUBES. :P O:-)
And you don't have that problem + wheels & tyres are cheaper (at present). :thumbsup:

I know you tubies are not the most rational of creatures, but I really can't see how an inner tube of going to clean crud of the inside of my mudguard!

« Reply #13 on: 12 November, 2019, 10:12:18 pm »
Good point.
Regarding removing it,

The electric drill sounds OK with either wire brush or rust remover discs, GENTLY and bear in mind it will cause a lot of heat with friction.

For prevention in future try a silicone "mold release agent" sprayed on the inside of the mudguard. Reapply after cleaning.
OR

Latex paint so that when it does build up you can just peel it off. Then repaint it again.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #14 on: 12 November, 2019, 10:20:53 pm »
How about taking the mudguard off and sticking it in the dishwasher? Or taking it to a friend's place who has one and craftily putting it in theirs...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #15 on: 12 November, 2019, 10:24:12 pm »
Doesn't petroleum dissolve latex? Try some vaseline or mineral oil.

« Reply #16 on: 12 November, 2019, 10:33:45 pm »
More things which dissolve latex ie natural rubber, apparently:

petrol
diesel
castor oil
linseed oil
naphtha ie lighter fluid I think
toluene
xylene

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 12 November, 2019, 11:51:55 pm »
For prevention in future try a silicone "mold release agent" sprayed on the inside of the mudguard. Reapply after cleaning.
OR

Latex paint so that when it does build up you can just peel it off. Then repaint it again.

Or just some gaffer tape or something.

« Reply #18 on: 17 November, 2019, 11:19:36 pm »
I can confirm that the wire brush drill attachment works well.
only issue is that there are bits, mostly by the brakes, but also by the rack and mudguard stays, that it can't get, so need to use a screwdriver for those little bits.
Not a job to do inside, or after washing your hair

« Reply #19 on: 20 November, 2019, 12:09:33 am »
Good to know. :thumbsup:
If I ever go tubeless.

Glad it worked out for you.