Author Topic: Torque question for engineers or mechanics  (Read 888 times)

fuzzy

Torque question for engineers or mechanics
« on: 17 January, 2011, 09:55:58 am »
Over the weekend I renewed the front discs and brake pads on SWMBO car. I did this with reference to a guide that did not include all the torque wrench settings for refitting. The setting I did not have was that for refitting the caliper mount to the hub assemble (the setting for the caliper to caliper mount bolts was 25 lb/f).

When removing the mount, the bolts were bastard tight and needed WD40 and mallet intervention. This was probably partially due to corrosion. When refitting I did the bolts as tight as I possible could. Is this likely to be OK?

Does the torque setting being high contribute to the structural strength of the components once reassembled?

To assist in what I am trying to describe, the brake caliper assembly is in two parts, the mount is a cradle partialy enclosing the disc into which the caliper comprising of the piston and pad assembley is bolted. The rotational force imparted to the caliper by braking is held firm by the mount. 

Re: Torque question for engineers or mechanics
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2011, 10:16:45 am »
Not that I are engineer, but if you are tightening with a normal spanner (a) you have likely gone beyond 25 ft/lb (b) it should be OK. The formal advice is normally to use new bolts, but I never have done, tbh.

Nice to see the use of copper-ease to undo them, hope you used coppa-ease in the appropriate place before refitting ;-)  (light smear on the back of the pad as well to avoid squeal)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2011, 05:49:36 pm »
You'll be OK.  I never use a torque wrench on slider pins as there isn't space for one.

These pins should be greased with high temperature lithium grease (Castrol LM) before refitting.  They are a sliding bearing surface every time you brake, and the caliper must move freely on them (especially for a single piston design).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuzzy

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2011, 08:26:30 am »
It isn't the slider pins- I have the torque wrench setting for those. It is the bolts that connetc the bit the slider pins bolt into to the hub assembly- the carrier as opposed to the caliper.

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2011, 01:19:57 pm »
To answer an earlier point, torque on a nut/bolt translates into an axial compressive load in the bolt. In order to separate the two parts being joined that axial load has to be overcome.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)