Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926015 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8650 on: 27 November, 2019, 10:26:27 pm »
watched Bladerunner 2047 again, over several sittings whilst travelling.  Still lost interest halfway through, can't think how anyone coped with that in one sitting

You can recreate the experience by sitting in a Jakarta hotel room and staring out the window at smog for several hours waiting for something to happen.

BTDTGTTS - 4 hours in a car in a Jakarta monsoon, distance travelled from office to hotel? 5km we werent allowed to walk.

Teh smokers in the car however had plenty of opportunity to hop out, have a fag and walk the twenty yards we'd moved in that time.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #8651 on: 28 November, 2019, 09:35:47 am »
Oddly, the last time I was there (last year) the traffic wasn't (quite) as bad. My taxi driver managed to hit 90 mph on the way back to the airport. On the hard shoulder. The one punctuated with large objects and meandering people. I wasn't even in a hurry. The people jumping over the crash barriers were.

Anyway, Jakarta does have bus lanes now. Take that Manila. Admittedly, Jakarta is sinking so they'll soon be able to get about by boat.

If they took out the interesting bits from Bladerunner 2047 and reassembled them, they'd have a modestly decent 40-minute movie.

« Reply #8652 on: 28 November, 2019, 07:32:43 pm »
Blade Runner 2047?. Didn't realize they made a third movie.
It's a shame that you dind't like it, as Blade Runner 2049 was awesome.

ian

« Reply #8653 on: 28 November, 2019, 08:07:02 pm »
Possibly it matured.

It wasn't awful, but it was basically an anaemic and straightforward detective story (that still had to rely on periodic plodding exposition) padded to full running time with some admittedly pretty visuals and occasional cod-philosophising. I get it, dystopian future, there's neon, it rains a lot, women are basically all holographic strippers, and everyone looks like they've just been turfed out of a Wetherspoons.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #8654 on: 28 November, 2019, 08:35:08 pm »
Dystopian future? Have you spent an evening hour in Manchester recently?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8655 on: 28 November, 2019, 08:37:08 pm »
I was going to say, the only thing they got wrong was the neon, and you can hardly blame them for failing to predict the rise of cheap shitty LEDs from China.

ian

« Reply #8656 on: 28 November, 2019, 08:49:06 pm »
Dystopian future? Have you spent an evening hour in Manchester recently?

I cycle through Croydon three times a week, though admittedly that owes more of its dystopian vibe to Mad Max than Bladerunner.

fuzzy

« Reply #8657 on: 29 November, 2019, 11:07:30 am »
Mother!
I will admit to having a soft spot for Ms Lawrence and her filums but WTAF?

The IMDb blurb reads thus-A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #8658 on: 29 November, 2019, 11:59:04 am »
Midway

Pretty good. 

Altho' they did fail to mention that if they had trusted the radar system set up with the help of British expertise they would have had about  37 minutes to get their aircraft off the tarmac instead of sitting there waiting to be destroyed.  But hey, it was a Sunday morning after a Saturday night..

Just like Pearl Harbour, who'da thought it? Kinda like Asterix in Britain: the Britons knocked off fighting for a cuppa every afternoon so the Romans, fine strategists that they were, made a point of only attacking at 4 pm on the dot.  Dashed unsporting, what?

Yes, and what's more ISTR they got it right and it was only warm water because the ancient Britons were still too ancient to have discovered that someone else had invented tea. Or something like that..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #8659 on: 30 November, 2019, 10:02:32 am »
Mother!
I will admit to having a soft spot for Ms Lawrence and her filums but WTAF?
Saw that last year. Agree with WTAF, but actually enjoyed it and thought it was quite a good film. Not sure I'd recommend it to anyone though.

(click to show/hide)

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8660 on: 01 December, 2019, 09:40:34 am »
Joker. Very, very good. It honoured Heath Ledger’s interpretation, and was suitably dark.

And Last Christmas, which was warm and undemanding and a nice Christmas movie. Take a date.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #8661 on: 04 December, 2019, 07:01:44 am »
The Irishman.

It's ok. Very long. While the de-aging works well on their faces, they still move like like 70 year olds.
It'll probably win an undeserved oscar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8662 on: 04 December, 2019, 08:12:09 am »
Last episode of Green Eggs and Ham. Highly recommended.

Best crack:

Her: I'm a vegan.
Him. Oh.  I'm so sorry... How long have you known?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8663 on: 04 December, 2019, 11:56:05 pm »
Ad Astra

A triumph of cargo-cult spaceflight aesthetics over such trivial matters as story, character development, the laws of physics or indeed common sense.  Tries to be Solaris and fails, leaving you with two hours of vague pop-psychology and a wide range of spacesuit abuse.

Go and watch 2001 [epic existential questions] or Gravity [somewhat more plausible abuse of hardware] instead.

(Is it me, or is Brad Pitt failing to age well?)

Chris S

« Reply #8664 on: 05 December, 2019, 12:28:42 am »

It happens to a lot of us. He's only three years younger than me. I'd trade something vital for having that much hair left, to be fair; if for no other reason than it keeps your head warm on a chilly bike ride.

spindrift

« Reply #8665 on: 05 December, 2019, 12:37:22 am »
Everest, on Netflux. The kind of film that has you on edge all the time even though you know what's going to happen. Good.

There are lots of stories about that particular expedition. A lot of people did not behave sensibly or honourably. One party member was thought to have angered the mountain gods by the sherpas for having sex at base camp.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8666 on: 05 December, 2019, 08:58:14 am »
Everest, on Netflux. The kind of film that has you on edge all the time even though you know what's going to happen. Good.

There are lots of stories about that particular expedition. A lot of people did not behave sensibly or honourably. One party member was thought to have angered the mountain gods by the sherpas for having sex at base camp.

Agreed, but we already discussed this downstream of that post.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8667 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:03:18 am »
There Will Be Blood

Already saw it when it came out but had largely forgotten the story. Nasty film about nasty people.

Missus remarked afterwards that Daniel Day-Lewis had given up acting because it took him months to get out of character again after finishing a film. I wouldn't have cared to be around him after this one.

« Reply #8668 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:17:30 am »

Doesn't it take (at least) two?

ian

« Reply #8669 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:19:40 am »
Ad Astra

A triumph of cargo-cult spaceflight aesthetics over such trivial matters as story, character development, the laws of physics or indeed common sense.  Tries to be Solaris and fails, leaving you with two hours of vague pop-psychology and a wide range of spacesuit abuse.

Go and watch 2001 [epic existential questions] or Gravity [somewhat more plausible abuse of hardware] instead.

I thought it was OK, but then I can't really remember it. I don't remember feeling short-changed as I left the cinema though. Solaris fails because it's two weeks too long.

Brad Pitt is just ageing in the way people ought to, which is to be applauded. It's nice to see movies that have older people in (and people who admit to being older), rather than perpetually chasing the young audience (who will, of course, shrivel if they see someone over the age of 30). Admittedly, this kind of thing gives me more opportunities to contemplate Julianne Moore.

« Reply #8670 on: 05 December, 2019, 07:16:37 pm »
Knives Out.

Super stuff.  Daniel Craig's Kentucky accent would fool any one.  err. wouldn't it?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #8671 on: 06 December, 2019, 11:23:52 pm »
Knives Out.

Super stuff.  Daniel Craig's Kentucky accent would fool any one.  err. wouldn't it?

+1

« Reply #8672 on: 09 December, 2019, 11:44:21 am »
 The Land that Time Forgot on some random TV channel on Saturday afternoon.

Adapted from an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel
Screenplay by Michael Moorcock
  • Dastardly Germans
  • U-Boat
  • Plucky rescued crew of the ship the U-boat sank
  • Brave hero (Doug McClure - whatever happened to him?)
  • Swooning heroine (Susan Penhaligon)
  • Dinosaurs
  • Neanderthals
  • Volcanoes erupting
  • Polystyrene boulders falling
  • Quicksand
The perfect weekend afternoon film really. Perhaps it could do with a couple of songs and a dinosaur / caveman dance number then it would have everything.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #8673 on: 09 December, 2019, 11:54:33 am »
The Land that Time Forgot on some random TV channel on Saturday afternoon.

Adapted from an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel
Screenplay by Michael Moorcock

The perfect weekend afternoon film really. Perhaps it could do with a couple of songs and a dinosaur / caveman dance number then it would have everything.

<PTerry's 'Moving Pictures'> And a thousand elephants? </PTerry's 'Moving Pictures'>  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8674 on: 09 December, 2019, 07:45:54 pm »
Arguably it needs lasers and ninjas and a car chase, but then you'd have Kung Fury I suppose.