Author Topic: Can anyone identify this frame?  (Read 901 times)

Can anyone identify this frame?
« on: 21 October, 2019, 06:28:29 pm »
A friend has just acquired this bike with a frame that appears quite unusual.  Can anyone help to shed any light on this one?
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Can anyone identify this frame?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2019, 06:32:11 pm »
That is one of the very early Cannondale loaded touring frames with oval seatstays, wider laterally. They are quite nice to ride loaded and the frames are bombproof (unlike the versions with cantilevered dropouts). The long chainstays mean no pannier/ heel clashes. https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1986/1986.pdf or a bit later is my guess.

Some of them had car putty under the paint where there was some distortion. Many had plastic top tube cable guides that eventually break off and need to be replaced. The downtube gear lever bosses thread together within the down tube.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2019, 06:35:10 pm »
if that is the correct saddle height I'd suggest that a plain, not fluted seat pin would be a better idea; at present what you have is several little funnels which couldn't be better designed to let water into the frame.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2019, 07:11:24 pm »
Thanks Brucey :thumbsup: Cannondale did cross my mind but I never realised they did touring bikes back in the day.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2019, 01:01:48 pm »
It's a shiny one

Your welcome