Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1013846 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #5575 on: 03 June, 2020, 03:58:10 pm »
Very good. Presumably foxes know better than to tackle a hedgehog. Our Jack Russell terriers didn’t, back in the day. Had to dissuade them several times.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5576 on: 03 June, 2020, 03:59:50 pm »
Some inter-species drama in my garden last night

https://youtu.be/r_Pa9gMR_Sc

Meanwhile my nephew's wildlife camera captured a squirrel, a raccoon, and a snake on his patio. He's in Florida.

What camera do you use for these videos?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5577 on: 03 June, 2020, 06:05:38 pm »
Some inter-species drama in my garden last night

https://youtu.be/r_Pa9gMR_Sc

Meanwhile my nephew's wildlife camera captured a squirrel, a raccoon, and a snake on his patio. He's in Florida.

What camera do you use for these videos?

The cheapest one I could find. A CamPark T20 for about £40 from amazon.

And it is cheap in every sense:
- You need to reset the date and time every time you change the batteries
- there bit in the middle is usually over exposed.
- The menu is clunky, and there are 6 buttons for navigating etc but what they are and what they do has to be determined by trial and error.
- the screen is tiny and pretty much useless for reviewing results.
- It gives various options for resolutions but lower resolutions are crops (or in effect a digital zoom - 1290x1080 is wide angle; 640x480 is a narrow angle)
- aiming it has to be done by guesswork.
- It produces huge files - 300+ Mb for 45 seconds at max 'resolution'. (I use mencoder to reduce them to 12 Mb without apparent loss of quality)
- There's a minimum five second delay between detecting movement and starting to record, so what you want to record may be gone by the time it starts recording

But there are ways round these and the results have exceeded my expectations. For £40 I can live with its shortcomings.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5578 on: 03 June, 2020, 06:17:56 pm »
Very good. Presumably foxes know better than to tackle a hedgehog. Our Jack Russell terriers didn’t, back in the day. Had to dissuade them several times.

That was a cat by the way. The cats are more interested in mice (which help themselves to food from the bowls). Next door's puppies are given the run of their garden, and have been trying to get under the fence using the hole produced by hedgehogs over the years . I had to reinforce it yesterday as the hole was almost puppy-sized. I don't know what they'd do if they were confronted at close range with a hedgehog. I think they were more interested in the meaty dogfood I used to leave out than in the hedgehogs, but that's all finished now so I only put out 'kibble' as I understand it is known.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #5579 on: 03 June, 2020, 07:01:11 pm »
That was a cat

Agreed  :-[ I must have got your video confused with something that followed it, as selected by YouTube.

Our Jack Russells used to get terrible cuts around their mouths, along with spines that needed pulled out, if we didn’t get to them quickly.

« Reply #5580 on: 04 June, 2020, 04:09:44 pm »
Twice today when Tilly has been in the garden she has been mobbed by two jackdaws. They were really cross!.
I have seen a third one hopping round the garden and presume its their fledgling which is why they are getting so agitated with the dog. Tilly doesn't seem bothered by them.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5581 on: 05 June, 2020, 02:42:33 pm »
My brother told me last week that there was conflict in his garden between a pair of magpies, whose fledgelings had just ...well, fledged, and a grey squirrel. I thought this was wryly amusing because the farmer, from whose widow my brother bought the house almost 40 years ago, wouldn't have tolerated either species, but instead would have "given them one up the shirt", that being the Essex vernacular for blasting them to kingdom come with his 12-bore shot-gun.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5582 on: 05 June, 2020, 02:55:56 pm »
I had a Mexican standoff between 3 Wood pigeons on the garage roof last night, 2 resorted to fisticuffs before 1 took the ridge victoriously.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #5583 on: 05 June, 2020, 04:02:35 pm »
It was a fledgling jackdaw. It hoped out from behind some plant pots this afternoon when I was having a cup of tea in the garden. Tilly again mobbed by the parents when she took an interest in it. Its a pretty quick mover even though it can't fly yet.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5584 on: 05 June, 2020, 04:54:19 pm »
It was a fledgling jackdaw. It hoped out from behind some plant pots this afternoon when I was having a cup of tea in the garden. Tilly again mobbed by the parents when she took an interest in it. Its a pretty quick mover even though it can't fly yet.

I had this happen last year.  We have two jackdaw nests in our stable overlooking the garden.  A fledgling wandered out from the shrubs onto the lawn. As I stood up to take a closer look,  the parents (I assume) started to go ape at me. But when I looked up, the sky above my lawn was like a scene from The Birds.  Douzens of jackdaws wheeling and cawing. I buggered off indoors sharpish.
Either jackdaw s have large extended family groups, or they are all naturally protective.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5585 on: 05 June, 2020, 09:21:40 pm »
Either jackdaw s have large extended family groups, or they are all naturally protective.

They have close flock relationships. They also mate for life.

I think they nested in the large yew that overhangs our garden.

« Reply #5586 on: 05 June, 2020, 10:24:19 pm »
We now have relative peace outside the big window at the front of the flat. There is a monkey puzzle tree just outside, with its crown level with and just above the flat. Normally it is the home of a squirrel family, but 2 magpies moved in built a nest right next to the squirrels’ drey. Maybe even on top of the drey. Daily battles ensued, much chasing, cackling, angry squirrel rants, beak tapping. Thankfully the magpies have now fledged and the squirrels have been carrying dozens of mouthfuls of leaves up to refurbish their drey.

Other things seen regularly on the monkey puzzle, right outside the window: treecreepers, nuthatches, goldcrests. Currently frequented by a coal tit family and great tits, which like our bird food.

« Reply #5587 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:14:21 am »
A black kite I think. Kite shaped with a forked tail but not as defined as a red kite and the wrong colour for a red kite.

Never seen one before we moved here.

I didn't even know we had them in the UK before you posted that.
We don't, in general.

There are maybe 20 birds a year, mostly stray migrants at this time of year, and usally in the east or south east.
There was one here about a month back, not that I saw it.

« Reply #5588 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:59:39 pm »
I heard that there has been one recent record of black kites breeding in Sussex, but that they are not considered to be on the 'British List' (yet).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5589 on: 08 June, 2020, 08:17:31 am »
A morning visitor about 6am this morning  :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyQmDXwAWgCjZSBQ9
the slower you go the more you see

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5590 on: 08 June, 2020, 06:40:02 pm »
A pine marten in the middle of the day  :)

« Reply #5591 on: 08 June, 2020, 08:34:19 pm »

You lucky lucky b thingy. I have never seen one of those at any time of the day.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5592 on: 08 June, 2020, 08:56:32 pm »

You lucky lucky b thingy. I have never seen one of those at any time of the day.

We stayed in a house in Brittany which had a pine marten nest in the garden.  Also saw them on Dartmoor when we used to picnic at Piles Copse - we thought they were otters until corrected by someone who actually knew.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #5593 on: 08 June, 2020, 11:38:08 pm »

Better than a hedgehog in the middle of the road.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #5594 on: 09 June, 2020, 05:08:40 pm »
While off-roading in Home Park (Hampton Wick) I chanced upon a few  Fallow does with their little ones. While still small and very cutesy they already seem to be sufficiently developed to be able to go everywhere with their mothers. 
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5595 on: 09 June, 2020, 07:05:11 pm »
A red squirrel today  :) :thumbsup:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #5596 on: 09 June, 2020, 08:40:37 pm »
This,year the kites are beginning to occupy air space over the town itself, much to the annoyance of the jackdaws.
Today I watched one solo jackdaw mobbing a kite. Surprisingly successfully. The kite eventually got fed up and returned to her side of the river.

Yes I know 'mobbing' is not the correct word for a solo effort,  but that is what was happening.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5597 on: 10 June, 2020, 12:15:22 am »
The hedgehog turned up again this evening and consumed a saucer of hedgehog food and a drink of water. It seems to arrive shortly after 10.30. This evening it was perfectly happy to eat and drink immediately by the patio doors, with the light blazing through them.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5598 on: 10 June, 2020, 10:46:28 pm »
There used to be two robins in our garden, which we nicknamed "fat" robin and "thin" robin for obvious, if not politically correct reasons.  They have now been joined by a juvenile "not red" robin, which may or may not be related.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #5599 on: 11 June, 2020, 10:39:50 am »
The hedgehog turned up again this evening and consumed a saucer of hedgehog food and a drink of water. It seems to arrive shortly after 10.30. This evening it was perfectly happy to eat and drink immediately by the patio doors, with the light blazing through them.

I'd love to be able to sit and watch that. Did you get your camera?