Author Topic: Recomend me a simple wet shave system.  (Read 18308 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Recomend me a simple wet shave system.
« on: 05 June, 2011, 12:02:34 pm »
I've started shaving the old chin again.

Before, when I was shaving, I used an electric jobbie for years.  I prefer to wet shave, but had to give up for two reasons.
1)  Every time I bought a razor, I'd not be able to find the correct blades after only a couple of months.
2)  Mrs. B's habit of shaving her legs with my razor and not bothering to tell me meant that I would often rip my face to pieces on an unexpectedly knackered blade.

I can't use bic disposables.  I end up looking like I've fallen through a plate glass window.

Any recommendations for a decent razor that uses blades that tend to be generally available?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: Recomend me a simple wet shave system.
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:10:52 pm »
The stuff you put on your face to soften the bristles is more important than the blade.

I find Tescos multi blade almost as good as the wilkinsons stuff.

Lidle skin moisturiser (Ciel something) is fantastic for softening bristles. Splash on lots of hot water, run moisturiser in, shave.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:16:08 pm »
I use an Edwin Jagger DE89, a Feather blade and some quality soap or cream. I've never had a closer or more comfortable shave.

Scrap any notion of getting a decent shave from a modern multi blade POS, they're only designed to keep emptying your pocket every month for a pack of 8 replacement blades at the best part of £12. I can get 100 of the sharpest double edge razors for £15.

« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:18:59 pm »
I have ver' sensitive skin and I've found the King of Shaves gel very good.
Stropping rocks

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:26:14 pm »
For me, solid shaving soap and a brush is favourite, and nice shavey-stuff is source of potential Christmas ideas for various relatives.

I use a four blade system now, but wouldn''t recommend it to anyone.

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:29:28 pm »
The stuff you put on your face to soften the bristles is more important than the blade.

That's not my experience at all.

I settled on Gilette 3 blade system after trying a multitude of cheaper altermatives (see Basil's plate glass window experience).

Yes, the replacements are expensive but I reckon 8 blades last me a year.

Usually the starter kits (with 2 spare blades) are cheap enough to give it a try.

« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:34:38 pm »
8 blades a year! do you only shave twice a month? They've lost their edge after about two shaves!!

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:36:39 pm »
There's a long thread on shaving here

I use a Merkur razor & Derby blades, you can get 100 of these for a tenner on Ebay.  That should keep you going for quite a while.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:41:05 pm »
As someone who could grow a reasonable beard in about 4 days, ten days is about the limit for any blade.  Gillette or Wilkinson Sword refills are horrendously expensive and the own-brand ones seem to be very poor, with weak quality control so you often get a new blade that doesn't shave cleanly.

I'm currently on blue Sainsbury's disposables which seem pretty good for the money.  They last about as long as the "proper" refillable systems.  A bit variable but not as bad as I've had before.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

AndyK

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:44:48 pm »
I get along fine using a Palmolive shaving stick, brush, and Gillette blue II Plus 'Slalom' disposables.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:00:19 pm »
Best blades I've found for comfort are the gillette quatro titanium ones. Not the cheapest, but seem readliy available, and have been around for years. I bought a pack of 15 blades and they've lasted seemingly for ever.

I also use oil rather than foam/soap/gell for shaving. I started with the stupidly expensive stuff, but now make my own, with a bottle of johnsons baby oil (the green one with aloe vera) and 1 drop of tea tree oil for each 10-20 ml of oil. (so around 20 drops tea tree oil in a 300ml bottle)

Dead cheap this way so you don't have to use it stupidly sparingly. The thing to remember though is that if the razor starts to drag you just add more water to the face - not more oil.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:09:11 pm »
What does 'shave' mean?

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:16:51 pm »
I've got a full beard at the moment but when I do shave I use a Merkur 34C safety razor and Derby blades. 100 for £8.00 on eBay when I bought them.

The Boots safety razor works remarkably well for a a cheap bit of kit and I used mine as a travel razor until I got bought a Merkur travel razor one Christmas.
Shaving soap and a badger hair brush is what you need but the cheap Wilkinson sword brush that boots etc sell is OK.  I like Taylors soap but if travelling the Palmolive sticks work fine.
Much sharper shave than a multi-blade but be careful at first. The safety bit in safety razor is a relative term in that all they mean is safer than a cut-throat.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:30:30 pm »
I use King of Shaves shaving gel & a Wilkinson twin blade razor.Both seem to be forever available at Tesco's.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:38:34 pm »
Partner is happy with Gillette Mach 3 Turbo. Blades are pricy but he doesn't seem to use that many. He shaves only every other day.
YBMV.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:45:38 pm »
Wandering OT:The business model of tying the consumer into expensive consumables, such as ink cartridges, or indeed replaceable razor blades, is sometimesd known as "razor blade marketing". I mentioned this to The Boy the other day.  He suggested that in its simplest form, it would be called "Occam's Razor Blade Marketing".  I worry about him, but not a lot.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:52:03 pm »
Wandering OT:The business model of tying the consumer into expensive consumables, such as ink cartridges, or indeed replaceable razor blades, is sometimesd known as "razor blade marketing". I mentioned this to The Boy the other day.  He suggested that in its simplest form, it would be called "Occam's Razor Blade Marketing".  I worry about him, but not a lot.

I think I told my dentist that Oral B was part of Gillette.

John of Ockham taught us much...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:16:28 pm »
1)  Every time I bought a razor, I'd not be able to find the correct blades after only a couple of months.

Yebut it's cheaper to replace your razor every couple of months than to buy fancy major-brand blades.

(Shaving is always expensive for me, however, since my whiskers are like gear cables).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #18 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:33:07 pm »
Partner is happy with Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.

+1.  Buy online for cheaper prices.

Body Shop do a great shaving cream and using a shaving brush is a nice part of the ritual too.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:37:17 pm »
Watch out, Gillette Mach 3 blades are one of the most commonly faked items (and shoplifted).

« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:39:37 pm »
Mrs. B's habit of shaving her legs with my razor and not bothering to tell me meant that I would often rip my face to pieces on an unexpectedly knackered blade.

Knowing that Mrs Cass never changes the blade I always take 'hers' out, use one I know is sharp then put 'hers' (or is that 'hers''?) back in.

« Reply #21 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:39:43 pm »
Remington electric shaver here - face and head.  Titanium and carbon - like this.
It takes about 14 days to get over the razor buzz.

Waterproof so is good in the shower.

« Reply #22 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:42:06 pm »
Watch out, Gillette Mach 3 blades are one of the most commonly faked items (and shoplifted).

Really? That's annoying.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #23 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »
Partner is happy with Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.

+1.  Buy online for cheaper prices.

Body Shop do a great shaving cream and using a shaving brush is a nice part of the ritual too.

Neal's Yard does a nice shaving soap that will fit neatly into an empty (bought) crème-brulee ramekin.  Shaving oil is useful for travelling (no brush).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #24 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »

Really? That's annoying.

Yeah, because it has the magic combination of being a very very popular item that's normally quite expensive and easy enough to fake.  (Seen it mentioned on a number of consumer TV programmes, etc).  So only buy from well reputable sellers.