Author Topic: Upper Thames 7th November open for entries  (Read 2866 times)

Upper Thames 7th November open for entries
« on: 03 September, 2020, 10:07:58 pm »
Heading says it all, really. Entries starting to come in. Start time flexible between 0700 and 0830. Not the full range of grub at the end, I'm afraid.
Phil

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Upper Thames 7th November open for entries
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2020, 10:43:50 pm »
Thanks for all your hard work and perseverance, Phil.  Looking forward to restarting my Audax events with this one.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2020, 11:13:57 pm »
Will there be a limit on entries?

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2020, 08:59:12 am »
What controls are there Phil please and what do you expect them to be like?

Good job anyway in putting it on.

« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2020, 09:36:53 am »
Will there be a limit on entries?

I'm not currently anticipating a limit, but that might have to happen if I get a surge (10 so far).

I'm allocating start times at 10 minute intervals between 0730 and 0830, with the option of adding in 0700 to 0720 if needed. Riders will be given the option to amend start times if needed; I intend to apply as much flexibility as can be accommodated in the circumstances. I am mindful that journey distances, train times and overnight accommodation options will all affect rider requirements.

Timing will be from the actual time of leaving the hall at the start.

« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2020, 09:49:42 am »

Thanks Ben. There's been a bit of hand wringing, but I think it's going to work OK.

I intend to provide hot and cold drinks at the start. There should be a gazebo outside so riders are not congregating in the hall.

As things stand Waterperry Tea Room (at 70km) are operating more or less as normal, with a very large gazebo with seating outside. They are (currently) happy to accommodate us and provide beans or scrambled egg and toast as in previous years. However, I am mindful that some riders may prefer not to enter the cafe, so I shall set up an info control at the end of the road (a number on a post like I do at Christmas Common). I shall not attend the cafe - they wont want me blocking one of the fewer tables inside, and I will be tied up at the start for longer.

Chipping Norton will be an open control (again, unmanned). Old Mill Cafe is open, but cannot handle the numbers currently. There are quite a few options available in the town (cafes, shops, pubs, even a chippy; I'll put together a list) and I'll be requiring a receipt or bank autoteller slip for proof of passage.

At the arrivee hot and cold drinks will again be provided, and hopefully soup as well. But not the plated meals that we normally provide, I'm afraid.

As previous attendees of the ride will know, the arrivee is behind a pub. This has very recently changed hands, and I have not yet had an opportunity to check whether the new landlord might be able to offer anything. I'm not hopeful though, as he is running the Red Lion in parallel to another pub locally which has quite a good reputation for food and needs booking - if Red Lion goes the same way there won't be capacity.

« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2020, 10:27:11 am »
I'm in  :thumbsup:

This will be my 4th Upper Thames, I better dust off the road bike that's not been out since Feb...  ::-)

Ben T

« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2020, 11:46:17 am »

Thanks Ben. There's been a bit of hand wringing, but I think it's going to work OK.

I intend to provide hot and cold drinks at the start. There should be a gazebo outside so riders are not congregating in the hall.

As things stand Waterperry Tea Room (at 70km) are operating more or less as normal, with a very large gazebo with seating outside. They are (currently) happy to accommodate us and provide beans or scrambled egg and toast as in previous years. However, I am mindful that some riders may prefer not to enter the cafe, so I shall set up an info control at the end of the road (a number on a post like I do at Christmas Common). I shall not attend the cafe - they wont want me blocking one of the fewer tables inside, and I will be tied up at the start for longer.

Chipping Norton will be an open control (again, unmanned). Old Mill Cafe is open, but cannot handle the numbers currently. There are quite a few options available in the town (cafes, shops, pubs, even a chippy; I'll put together a list) and I'll be requiring a receipt or bank autoteller slip for proof of passage.

At the arrivee hot and cold drinks will again be provided, and hopefully soup as well. But not the plated meals that we normally provide, I'm afraid.

As previous attendees of the ride will know, the arrivee is behind a pub. This has very recently changed hands, and I have not yet had an opportunity to check whether the new landlord might be able to offer anything. I'm not hopeful though, as he is running the Red Lion in parallel to another pub locally which has quite a good reputation for food and needs booking - if Red Lion goes the same way there won't be capacity.

Sounds good - think gazebos are the way forward  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 04 September, 2020, 02:01:40 pm »
Sounds good - think gazebos are the way forward  :thumbsup:
Yes, though standing around in an open-sided structure in November is unlikely to be attractive!

« Reply #9 on: 04 September, 2020, 06:09:04 pm »
I'm in... This has to be the best finish to any event as Phil always organises fireworks on the approach to Cholsey. Which is very thoughtful of him.

« Reply #10 on: 04 September, 2020, 06:47:51 pm »
Is the route identical to previous editions?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2020, 08:15:44 am »
I'm in... This has to be the best finish to any event as Phil always organises fireworks on the approach to Cholsey. Which is very thoughtful of him.
Do make sure you don't snuggle during the display this year.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 05 September, 2020, 03:17:11 pm »
It's planned to be so, barring any diversions necessary because of roadworks. I haven't checked that yet.

How are you? Are you possibly up for it this year?

« Reply #13 on: 05 September, 2020, 03:23:26 pm »

I wonder how many public displays there will be this year?

« Reply #14 on: 05 September, 2020, 05:34:09 pm »
It's planned to be so, barring any diversions necessary because of roadworks. I haven't checked that yet.

How are you? Are you possibly up for it this year?
Still recovering from last year's knee replacement operation, and escape from lockdown (mid-March to 3rd Aug). I will put an entry in and miss out the first big climb.  :thumbsup:

* Not bothered about collecting points; more interested in riding good routes in different parts
of the country.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #15 on: 05 September, 2020, 06:47:24 pm »
Still recovering from last year's knee replacement operation, and escape from lockdown (mid-March to 3rd Aug). I will put an entry in and miss out the first big climb.  :thumbsup:
The first big (as in steep rather than long) climb is Wellplace hill, but remember that really long one up to the info control mid-ride.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #16 on: 05 September, 2020, 07:15:02 pm »
Berins Hill is the early one I'm referring to.

« Reply #17 on: 18 September, 2020, 03:10:27 pm »
Yes, Berins Hill is the correct name for "Wellplace Hill" that David refers to. It's quite steep, and much easier near the start of the ride and in the light, rather than near the end and in the dark as it used to be.

There's a change regarding the first control, at Waterperry. The cafe management don't feel that a gazebo is a workable option in the winter months, so from October 1st the the tea room is moving into the main house. I understand they are using the entire first floor for the tea room, which gives plenty of space, all indoors. They will be operating table service, and as yet are undecided whether they will be able to offer eggs / beans on toast. I'll update once I've heard what they decide, which will be after they've had a few days operating the table service.

50 entries so far. Still room for more. As stated above, start times will be from 0700 to 0830. I'm allocating times as entries come in, but generally able to shift times on request to suit travel arrangements.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #18 on: 18 September, 2020, 05:16:05 pm »
Thanks Phil for all your efforts. Looking forward to the ride.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #19 on: 21 September, 2020, 11:33:04 pm »
That’s it...I’ve entered and am looking forward to it👍
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.