Author Topic: 7.5kg of potatoes  (Read 8167 times)

Re: 7.5kg of potatoes
« Reply #50 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:49:45 pm »
No Irish recipe suggestions yet?

Colcannon

Champ

Coddle (vegetarian adaptation possible)

Boxty

O'Brien
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #51 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:58:22 pm »
Oh, I thought the title was 75 kg of potatoes. Surely 7.5 kg is merely a single helping of mash, isn't it?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 08 December, 2020, 08:01:33 pm »
I've just been learning a bit of Dutch, and looking up recipes for stamppot. Its a similar thing to bubble and squeak / colcannon / champ etc.
Except often made with endive or sauerkraut, instead of cabbage. Or some versions with apples or pears. I'll try making some.

Yup, Stamppot Borenkohl is my preferred version. I make it reasonably regularly. I serve it with British style sausages and gravy, for an anglo-Dutch bangers and mash...

The spuds arrived this evening. I am really impressed with the quality. I made up a batch of roast spuds using one from each variety. It was delicious. Bintje was the best variety. These are the best quality spuds, and best tasting, that I've found in .NL. Will be getting them in 5kg batches once I get through the 7.5kg.

I hadn't quite twigged that 7.5kg is basically 42 servings, if you go with the 175g per serving guideline...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #53 on: 08 December, 2020, 08:12:14 pm »
Has anyone mentioned bubble and squeak yet. Although for this to work there needs to be left over spuds which I don't find happens very often

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 08 December, 2020, 11:52:05 pm »
Someone did mention bubble and squeak.

I don't think potato kugel has been mentioned.
I have eaten this but never made it.
Various recipes can be found online.
This seems like those I have tasted.https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/passover-potato-kugel/

« Reply #55 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:17:24 am »
Hah. 7.5Kg would not go far in potato kugel production.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #56 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:27:44 am »
Coincidentally, I've just been reminded of skordalia, which is a Greek dip made from mashed potatoes (or sometimes bread) with lots and lots and lots of garlic.

Very yummy. If you like garlic.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 09 December, 2020, 03:56:35 pm »
Hah. 7.5Kg would not go far in potato kugel production.

Indeed; the recipe starts with 5lb potatoes, which is about 2¼kg

« Reply #58 on: 09 December, 2020, 04:13:28 pm »
If you're making mashed potatoes, be sure to warm your milk in the mee-kro-wah-vay...  :)

« Reply #59 on: 09 December, 2020, 07:19:49 pm »
I'm glad to see that we are all being sensible & not suggesting potato based alcohol projects... 

I've recently being enjoying Daupinoise potatoes with lots of Gruyere. Last nights meal was parboiled potatoes fried with onions, bacon & diced black pudding.  Lovely, but bad for the waistline. 

I might have a go at this one evening. https://germanfoods.org/recipes/heaven-and-earth/

I'd forgotten tbat one!

Rösti is a good one, too.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #60 on: 09 December, 2020, 09:10:57 pm »
I hadn't quite twigged that 7.5kg is basically 42 servings, if you go with the 175g per serving guideline.

I wonder whether many of us had. At least we all now know that 175g is a serving.
I weighed tonight's dinner, about 600g of potatoes (raw). That seems like a more sensible serving size.

Nice baked, with a bit of stir fry veg in them anyway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #61 on: 09 December, 2020, 09:19:02 pm »
(click to show/hide)

ian

« Reply #62 on: 09 December, 2020, 09:45:12 pm »
Crazy talk. Wednesday, for reasons, is pie and mash night Chez Asbestos, and many potatoes will be sacrificed (at least three each and Google claims the median potato is 163 grams – let's be modest, that's 400 g of spuds each). Plus there's butter and cream. And salt. And mint. Did I mention the pie. There will be pie too. It's not pie and mash without pie.

And that blessed green ambrosia of the north, mushy peas.

One of my the fondest memories of my childhood is bonfire night and being served little polystyrene cups of superheated mushy peas with mint sauce. I think they cooled slower than the universe. They'd burn the skin off the top of your mouth till it hung there like flesh off a mummy. But you beg and borrow steal another 10p for a second helping.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #63 on: 09 December, 2020, 09:49:25 pm »
Arrivée page 57.

I know potato scones have been mentioned.

« Reply #64 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:27:01 pm »

Do you mean guacamole, Hartlepool style?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #65 on: 10 December, 2020, 10:04:42 am »

Do you mean guacamole, Hartlepool style?

;D ;D
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #66 on: 10 December, 2020, 11:20:45 am »
Or purée de pois à la mode de Hartlepool, as they call guacamole in the more pretentious Parisian establishments.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #67 on: 10 December, 2020, 05:45:42 pm »

Today I made up bratkartoffeln, and weighed the spuds after peeling. Total weight was about 225g. That was after peeling tho, so weight used is probably closer to 300. Meaning I may only have 25 servings, not 42.

Also a friend has asked to take some, am gonna give them probably 500g or so of each type.

Need to work out the best way to store these...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #68 on: 10 December, 2020, 08:12:53 pm »
Inspired I had a go at Tartiflette tonight, halfed the ingredients but didn't half the spuds so probably an extra 250g over... Need a smaller pan for 2 really...

Was expecting the cheese to be more molten...

(BBC recipe)
Regards,

Joergen

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #69 on: 12 December, 2020, 08:11:53 pm »
Thread bookmarked  :thumbsup:
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #70 on: 12 December, 2020, 08:28:49 pm »
And since it's nearly Christmas, why not try the traditional Swedish festive dish, Jansson's temptation - a casserole of potatoes with pickled sprats!

+1 = Deffo edible loveliness + what a title :P

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/dec/12/roast-duck-cherry-glogg-sauce-winter-salad-janssons-temptation-signe-johansen-scandinavian-christmas-dinner-recipes

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #71 on: 12 December, 2020, 08:39:22 pm »
Hmm, inspired by the potato goodness here, I made some Tattie Scones for breakfast this morning:

Tattie Scones by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Tattie Scones by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #72 on: 12 December, 2020, 08:46:06 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #73 on: 12 December, 2020, 08:51:26 pm »
Hmm, inspired by the potato goodness here, I made some Tattie Scones for breakfast this morning:

They look magnificent!

+1 = Deffo edible loveliness + what a title :P

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/dec/12/roast-duck-cherry-glogg-sauce-winter-salad-janssons-temptation-signe-johansen-scandinavian-christmas-dinner-recipes

I'm going to Sweden for Christmas.

That duck is mad. Blow-dried? What, with a hairdryer? Yes, with a hairdryer!  ;D

But the bit that really appeals most in that menu is the salad with the candied walnuts. Looks fantastic.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #74 on: 12 December, 2020, 09:26:54 pm »
Yet Another Jansson's Redemption recipe ::-)

Or a simpler post Brexit (none of that foreign complication) Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's (adjusted) version of his Temptation

50g tin of boring any old anchovies, or whatever you still have lurking at the back of your cupboard
1 large 'Spanish' (if you can get one) onion peeled and sliced
400-500g potatoes (Scotland might help the rest of the Union out there? Again)
3-4 tablespoons double long life 'cream'?
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Open the tin of anchovies and drizzle the oil or piss water from it into a pan, placed over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry until softened. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into thick matchsticks or very thin chips (PONCEY or WHAT?)

Add the potatoes to the onion and let them sweat until they start to soften. Take off the heat and stir in the "cream". Finely chop the anchovies and add these, too. Season with black pepper. Spread the mixture in a small foreign 'gratin' dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until crusty and crispy and utterly irresistible.