Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463637 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2900 on: 20 September, 2019, 06:48:20 pm »
Hoping the x-rays will show what's wrong.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2901 on: 20 September, 2019, 07:12:04 pm »
I
Saw the doctor this morning and she sent me off to the hospital for a x Ray. She prescribed cocodimol and talked about the possibility of surgery. 🙂

Erk, hope they give you some answers about what's going on soonest. Glad GP took you seriously.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2902 on: 20 September, 2019, 07:44:10 pm »
Looks like I haven't seen GP in 7 months... No wonder there were about 9 letters on file. I do like that my GP groks that I'm juggling several conditions at once and sometimes treatments clash. She also understands not letting surgeons get too slicey! 

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2903 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:41:58 am »
Just 11 weeks and 1 day since my laparotomy.  No wonder I'm feeling a bit sair, as I think I've over done things the past few days...  Perhaps the trip to IKEA on Monday to purchase two 12kg flat pack sets of metal storage drawers wasn't clever, especially lifting them into and out of the car, then carrying them up stairs to assemble them :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2905 on: 01 October, 2019, 06:25:29 pm »
I phoned the doctors today and they said that the x Ray was marked no action required so now I have to phone them tomorrow and actually speak to a doctor to find out if I have arthritis in my knee and if so what can they do about it  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2906 on: 01 October, 2019, 07:46:18 pm »
I phoned the doctors today and they said that the x Ray was marked no action required so now I have to phone them tomorrow and actually speak to a doctor to find out if I have arthritis in my knee and if so what can they do about it  ::-)

Schrödinger's knee...

« Reply #2907 on: 02 October, 2019, 07:47:37 am »
  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #2908 on: 04 October, 2019, 09:56:24 am »
I'm supposed to be flying back from my holiday today. Except I'm not, because I didn't go: in a brilliant act of timing, I managed to get admitted to hospital on the day I was supposed to fly (Tuesday). Appendectomy yesterday. This is a bit rubbish.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2909 on: 04 October, 2019, 11:43:10 am »

« Reply #2910 on: 04 October, 2019, 12:43:12 pm »
I'm supposed to be flying back from my holiday today. Except I'm not, because I didn't go: in a brilliant act of timing, I managed to get admitted to hospital on the day I was supposed to fly (Tuesday). Appendectomy yesterday. This is a It was a bit rubbish.
FTFY

GWS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2911 on: 04 October, 2019, 12:51:50 pm »
GWS

Would it pop if they flew above 2500 metres? :o

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2912 on: 04 October, 2019, 08:31:31 pm »
Get well soon!
I don't know Teh Rules about flying after abdominal surgery, but ISTR they are strict and restrictive.
I also don't know where you are or whether surface transport could comfortably and practically get you home sooner.

Get well soon anyway!

« Reply #2913 on: 04 October, 2019, 08:49:20 pm »
Thanks for the well wishes folks. Hopefully going home tomorrow.

I don't know Teh Rules about flying after abdominal surgery, but ISTR they are strict and restrictive.
I also don't know where you are or whether surface transport could comfortably and practically get you home sooner.

Ah, I wasn't clear - I was at home when I was admitted (I was due to fly out for holidays that same day), so am in my local hospital. Fortunately, nothing more complicated than a couple of miles in a taxi will be needed! (I'd normally walk/Subway it, but am going to take it easy.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2914 on: 04 October, 2019, 08:52:53 pm »
Hope you manage to get a nice holiday when you're well!

« Reply #2915 on: 04 October, 2019, 09:06:22 pm »
I am having cataract surgery at the end of October, because I am pretty short sighted (-7) I’ve elected to have two ops, starting with the bad left eye and then the right eye a week later. The consultant reckons I need to take a week off, I’ve had some contradictory guidance on when I can fly again. Optician reckons after a month, consultant after a week.

Would any medical professionals on here give an opinion on this?

Tks in advance

A

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2916 on: 04 October, 2019, 09:37:19 pm »
Check with your airline and insurance, then ask your consultant and other hospital staff.
Advice varies between airlines and whatever else you need to check you CAN go...

« Reply #2917 on: 06 October, 2019, 09:59:52 am »
I staved/jammed a finger playing football way back in late March. it swelled up and bruised nicely and after a few days I managed to remove my wedding ring (with a fair amount of swearing, washing up liquid and a bit of pain).

Coming up 3 months later I still can't get my wedding ring back on over the proximal interphalangeal joint.

Is it worth going to minor injuries or should I just leave it a bit longer?

Another 4 months and I managed to get it back on with no pain, it's still tight over the joint itself but that's not unusual.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2918 on: 06 October, 2019, 10:04:25 am »

IIRC air can get trapped in abdominal cavity and expand with decreasing pressure ===> ouch.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2919 on: 06 October, 2019, 02:16:56 pm »
Indeed ouch and potentially burst.

As I posted earlier, it's worth checking with insurers and carriers, as well as medics. If the first two say NO! medical advice is academic...

BrianI

« Reply #2920 on: 06 October, 2019, 08:49:36 pm »
90 days on from my Laparotomy for a twisted bowel, and I seem to be having stomach / bowel cramps again...

I really do hope it's not going to be a repeat of last time (involving a laparotomy & 9 days in hospital)  ??? :facepalm: :-[ :'( :hand:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2921 on: 06 October, 2019, 08:58:57 pm »
Oh dear!

Hope things settle!

Worried about adhesions...

BrianI

« Reply #2922 on: 06 October, 2019, 09:26:37 pm »
Oh dear!

Hope things settle!

Worried about adhesions...

Yes, that's what I'm worried about, along with getting a stage 2 attendance warning if I'm off again (and if it comes to  a stage 3 attendance warning then I'm sacked)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2923 on: 07 October, 2019, 08:37:21 pm »
We went to our local GP surgery for flu jabs today.
Appointments were running late so I looked around the waiting room.
There was a full water jug but nothing out of which to drink - I suppose David couldhave refilled his bidon but even he does not take his comfort bottle for a quick appointment 6 doors up the road.
The scrolling screen ahead read inter alia
Apologies
The Nurse Practitioner is running (late we presumed, but they'd run out of space...)

Please give 72 working hours for repeat prescription request (Is that two weeks? we wondered.)

[person's name] to the Kingsbury Hub (What? We're not quite IN Kingsbury! I later observed part of the reception desk was headed 'THE HUB')
Inside the glass-fronted noticeboard, there was one notice stating travel vaccinations were available as an extra service, another stating that the practice did not do travel vaccinations due to a lack of vaccines and a third suggesting where travel vaccination could be obtained.

I was glad our visit was for something simple. I'm not surprised if people find the health service confusing...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2924 on: 07 October, 2019, 08:40:44 pm »
They vamped some blood and told me I was a good asthmatic, so I'm allowed to book a flu jab now.  To be fair, the nurse doing the asthma review had Common Sense, and would have jabbed me there and then if they'd had any of the adults-under-65 vaccine in stock.