Author Topic: ACME goes European  (Read 15464 times)

Re: ACME goes European
« Reply #25 on: 27 March, 2019, 02:31:53 pm »
You're doing well with this not riding PBP thing.

I think some people even believe you.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 27 March, 2019, 02:50:02 pm »
What I will be plotting is a route and schedule that appeals for the majority. Without looking at the terrain, I noted that a semi-circle that goes inland from Dunkirk, up and round to Hoek was about 300km. That's just a starting point, but gives a rough indication before detailed route planning starts (with the aim to include as many things of interest along the way, with as much use of cycle paths and quiet roads as possible).

Just be aware, you can greatly improve your enjoyment of riding in Belgium by avoiding Antwerp, and a C shaped route like you suggest is either going to need to be longer, or take the ferry across to Vlissingen.

I did have a play on komoot, you could include the Muur de Geraadsbergen, and it's about 350km...

But longer if you want to avoid Antwerp...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #27 on: 27 March, 2019, 03:20:17 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Last year we touched Antwerp, mostly the industrial bits which provided plenty of cycleways and some rather brutal architecture that contrasted against the windmills, waterways and such like on the rest of the trip. Not necessarily looking to go there again so will look at other options.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #28 on: 27 March, 2019, 03:40:08 pm »
It might just have been me but I really enjoyed the Antwerp docks bit.  In fact the whole inland waterway thing there and across Holland was the most interesting part of the whole trip - apart, obviously, from the witty banter of my fellow travellers  :facepalm:

« Reply #29 on: 28 March, 2019, 03:34:54 pm »
I lived in Flanders for a few years and often take part in Audax events there, its a mixed bag in terms of bike infrastructure, some parts
are good - sometimes its just plain awful. (compared to NL that is)

Generally speaking i would just recommend to avoid any of the provincial 'N' roads, they often dont have proper segregated
bike paths and if they do the quality is basic to say the least. There are lots of routes next to inland waterways with little or no traffic.
For beer lovers West Vleteren abbey is close to Dunkirk, also Ypres and the surrounding WW1 monuments are impressive ( if thats your thing)
If you want to take in a city Ghent is a good alternative for Antwerp and has less urban/industrial sprawl.

If you get anywhere near North Brabant NL i might come and say hello, last year you went via Best (the famous Macdonalds) but i was on Holiday.

Regards,

Alan

« Reply #30 on: 29 March, 2019, 07:04:06 am »
Belated thought:  These guys are coming from Essex, so bad driving shouldn't be a problem.  (And if it is, there's always dynamite.)
I'd agree with that. I did a solo tour that took in part of Flanders (Hook > Ypres > Dunkirk) and I have to say I never found any of the roads or driving to be worse than what we deal with in East Anglia.

« Reply #31 on: 18 July, 2019, 08:40:43 pm »
I'm up for doing this trip

Sent from my C5 PRO using Tapatalk

« Reply #32 on: 19 July, 2019, 09:56:48 am »
Having just done Dunkirk-Ypres-Bruges-Dunkirk, I'd love to go back. Really enjoyed the cycling and the gastronomy.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can get the dates to work (or, indeed, have sufficient leave).
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #33 on: 19 July, 2019, 04:36:29 pm »
The core route will be Fri to Sun, so only 1 day off work for the majority. Some may extend a few extra days.

Now my German adventure is complete, I’ll revisit the route / logistics and post details within the next week.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 19 July, 2019, 04:47:22 pm »
I may well be interested in this. I reckon I can do 100k a day. I am also a bit quicker than I was.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #35 on: 26 July, 2019, 10:32:46 am »
The following is the outline plan for the trip across to Belgium / Netherlands in September. Not quite the 'C' loop I was expecting (in order to cater for a shorter optional route on the Friday). This is documented for feedback before we confirm arrangements. So please don’t book anything just yet. If you have comments on the outline plan, please respond either directly or via this thread by the end of Sunday 28th July. I will then look to solidify the arrangements and post the confirmed details before the end of July (ie early next week).

Thursday 12th Sept

For those able to travel on the Thursday, an outline plan would be:

Train - St Pancras to Dover Priory - 17:20 to 18:39 - £33.80

Ferry - Dover to Dunkirk - 20:00 to 23:00 - £29

Hotel - ibis Dunkerque - £65 (single)

Lots of train options available. Check-in at the ferry terminal closes 45 mins before the sailing, but 60 mins + is recommended as an arrival time.
The ferry takes 2 hours.
The ibis has a 24hr reception and garage parking.

Friday 13th Sept

For those travelling on the Friday morning, an outline plan would be:

Train - London Victoria to Dover Priory - 08:42 to 10:39 - £39.60

Ferry - Dover to Dunkirk - 12:00 to 15:00 - £29

Cycling - Dunkirk to Bruges - 2 routes proposed:

Route A - 75km - a pleasant and relatively direct route for those catching the ferry on the Friday, and for those wanting a shorter ride.

Route B - 130km - a longer route taking in the sites around Ypres and other locations.

Both routes will use the Flanders Cycle Route as a basis, but heading in different directions out of Dunkirk.

Hotel - a few options at https://cyclefriendlyhotels.com

Saturday 14th Sept

Cycling - Bruges to Antwerp - 1 route proposed:

Route A - 100km - based on the Flanders Cycle Route, via Ghent. Might add one or two optional detours to make the morning or afternoon routes a little longer and with additional points of interest for those wanting more time in the saddle.

Hotel - a few options at https://cyclefriendlyhotels.com

Sunday 15th Sept

Cycling - Antwerp to Hook of Holland - 1 route proposed:

Route A - 115km - route based on experience from past couple of years

Ferry - Hook of Holland to Harwich - 22:00 to 6:30 - £44.50

Other matters

Based on the above outline, I will put together proposed routes and identify points of interest and places to get food / water along the way. I’ll also check other hotel options, although by using larger cities it does provide the opportunity for people to sort their own arrangements and regroup in the morning.

This isn’t an organised tour. In previous years we have all ridden together, and some riders extended the ride to go further over more days. I would hope we are riding together in one or two groups, but I should emphasise that everybody should be prepared to be self-sufficient, arranging their own travel, accommodation, navigation device, and insurance.

The theme this year is to explore new areas in Belgium, with time to enjoy some nice food and beverages along the way.

Depending on feedback, I will aim to confirm the outline details early next week so that people can book their travel and accommodation. The routes may take a little longer as I expect a few iterations before the precise route is finalised. I would hope to complete that in the next few weeks though.

« Reply #36 on: 26 July, 2019, 01:50:03 pm »
I am probably out.  I am taking Mrs Shred to a charity ball on the 14th.  If there is a longer trip planned by anyone I might consider joining in on the Saturday but that might be a bit difficult.

Shame, it is shaping up to be a good trip.

« Reply #37 on: 26 July, 2019, 03:19:16 pm »
I am probably out ... Shame, it is shaping up to be a good trip.

It is always a good trip  ;D

Pity you're not able to come along this year. Hopefully you'll keep your calendar clear next year, assuming we aim for a 4th year of this end-of-season jolly.

« Reply #38 on: 26 July, 2019, 03:46:29 pm »
You should think about making it an annual event...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #39 on: 26 July, 2019, 04:43:00 pm »
you should definitely make it an annual event!

I'm out this year on account of booking a holiday in September, thinking that the annual running of ACME's raid on Europe would have been satiated by That French Ride.
I shall probably return next year if the annual event is run again....
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #40 on: 26 July, 2019, 05:46:32 pm »
Ted, Huggy - stop stealing my catchphrase. Itinerary looks good but I have used up my leave allowance for this year.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #41 on: 26 July, 2019, 06:41:16 pm »
I'm still up for this.

Will book the days off work once the dates are confirmed  :).
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #42 on: 26 July, 2019, 06:59:29 pm »
Looking forward to this one.

Who else is interested in a DIY 200 from Chelmsford(ish) to Dover?
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #43 on: 27 July, 2019, 07:11:00 am »
Will join you guys at the entrance to dover harbour on the day

Sent from my C5 PRO using Tapatalk

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 27 July, 2019, 08:20:58 am »
I'm free! :thumbsup: Mrs T is at a conference that weekend.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #45 on: 27 July, 2019, 10:16:32 am »
Looking forward to this one.

I’m up for this too.  :)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #46 on: 27 July, 2019, 11:37:38 am »

Although I like the idea, at the moment it looks like I’ll be working in London on the Thursday. My current plan is to head straight down to Dover from London for the evening ferry.

If you’re cycling down, you might elect to get an earlier ferry ... I think they depart every 2 hours. As mentioned above i’ll confirm arrangements early next week, but thinking about it an earlier ferry might appeal to others as well. The later ferry was intended for those who will be working on the Thursday.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:49:49 pm »

Sunday 15th Sept

Cycling - Antwerp to Hook of Holland - 1 route proposed:

Route A - 115km - route based on experience from past couple of years

Ferry - Hook of Holland to Harwich - 22:00 to 6:30 - £44.50

If you're ok with a gatecrasher, I'd like to join some of this leg. If you publish a route I can get a train down to say Rosendaal, and join you once you're in .NL. crossing the border to Belgium drives the train price up too much.

Happy to advise on route if needed.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #48 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:56:07 pm »
Still checking if I can make this, but if not, is there any chance we could make this an annual event?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #49 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:05:22 am »
If you're ok with a gatecrasher

Sure, that would be absolutely fine.

The route details will be available within a couple of weeks, and will be finalised after the inevitable tweaks. The .nl section is the most certain, as we have ridden this section a few times before. We’ll probably stick with a route largely based on those previous rides, to keep the distance down and to re-visit known eating/drinking venues. Happy to hear suggestions though once the draft is out.