Author Topic: If you just want a GPS with maps...  (Read 2874 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
If you just want a GPS with maps...
« on: 05 December, 2008, 10:30:52 pm »
...is this a good deal?

Buy Garmin eTrex Legend HCx + Garmin SD/MicroSD data card UK & Ireland

Obviously it would need a handlebar bracket too.  I don't care about altitude, cadence, virtual training partners yadda yadda, I just want to get the Dun Run and other rides right for a change.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: If you just want a GPS with maps...
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2008, 10:45:07 pm »
If navigation of a pre-planned route is your main requirement then the Legend with the SD card should be just the thing.  I've been using my Vista HCx (same as Legend but with altitude) for almost a year now and it's great - did a LEJoG with only 2 wrong turns the whole way, and that was because I followed road signs rather than trusting the GPX!

Good price as well - I paid almost twice that.  Go on, give yourself an early Christmas pressie!

BTW, get an oversize handlebar bracket (check Amazon) and use rubber strips to pad the gap.  This gives a better grip and provides a bit more insulation against vibration.  You'll probably also need to stick a few bits of electrical tape on the onside of the bracket to stop it rattling and get a really snug fit.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2008, 10:47:15 pm »
That's a good deal.  I'd go for it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2008, 10:56:15 pm »
Do you have any existing maps on the PC? If not, I'd consider getting maps on DVD rather than on the card.

With Googlemaps and loads of free software for manipulation it is not a necessity at all but I prefer to have it.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2008, 08:17:05 pm »
Well, I've ordered it - I got horribly lost twice last year, and this should hopefully stop that happening again.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2008, 08:01:55 pm »
And...it's rather good.  For some reason when I turned it on at work (outside, away from buildings) it locked onto a point 2 miles away, but making it redraw the map got exactly the right position.

It has the car satnav "bird's eye view" which is probably easiest for use on a bike too.  Only complaint; why can't motorways be drawn in blue?

« Reply #6 on: 16 December, 2008, 11:00:18 pm »
How are you getting on with it?

rogerzilla

« Reply #7 on: 19 December, 2008, 07:43:50 pm »
The bar mount only turned up a couple of days ago, but I have tried it in the car.  It works pretty well, although (as mentioned elsewhere) the proximity warnings for junctions sometimes come up too soon and sometimes very late.

It's confirmed, surprisingly, that the car speedometer (an old-fashioned cable-driven type) only reads about 2mph fast at all speeds - normally they're getting on for 10% fast at 70mph.