Author Topic: LEL Entry  (Read 9687 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
LEL Entry
« on: 28 January, 2019, 06:52:40 pm »

Watching the fun and games of everyone trying to get a place for PBP19, I'm wondering what the hoops we have to jump through for LEL21? Do I need to do a big prequalifier in 2020? An SR series? What should I do to maximise the chance of a place on LEL21?

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

whosatthewheel

Re: LEL Entry
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:00:32 pm »
If you have an AUK membership, you should have no issues.

No need for qualifiers or prequalifiers, unless things change dramatically in 2021 (they are of no use either)

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:05:56 pm »
If I recall there were about 400 places available to people who were a member of AUK in spring 2016 before the public entry started in January 2017. At that time, no other qualifications required other than perseverance, a fast internet connection and the will to stay up late to get first in line.

Given the facts that last LEL the servers could not cope with the pressure, and that in the end < 60% of riders finished in time, I would not object to the idea of the organizers doing a stepped registration based on longest ride in the year before. Without requiring further qualification (like a SR as with PBP).

But that's for the organizers to decide.

« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:14:02 pm »
I was a DNF in 2017 but I had done an SR and 12 other Audax rides in the months before LEL.

« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:15:10 pm »
Plucked off Facebook:
If you were an AUK member before 13 September 2018 we guarantee your place
If you bring your spouse or partner, or another family member (like a son or daughter) to volunteer at a control, we will guarantee you a spot.

Plus:  If you volunteered at LEL2017 you are guaranteed a place.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:20:12 pm »
Plucked off Facebook:

And contiguously until LEL'21 ?

J
--

« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:26:58 pm »
That is a reasonable assumption.

« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:32:02 pm »
Plucked off Facebook:

And contiguously until LEL'21 ?

J

This is one of the main reasons why I joined AUK in July 2018 for the next 5 years. Already preparing for LEL 2021  :thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:43:20 pm »
This is one of the main reasons why I joined AUK in July 2018 for the next 5 years. Already preparing for LEL 2021  :thumbsup:

I joined because AUK validate DIY rides, this is a nice bonus!

Maybe I'll successfully ride an AUK Calendar event or two by LEL!

J

--

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:52:44 pm »
If I recall there were about 400 places available to people who were a member of AUK in spring 2016 before the public entry started in January 2017. At that time, no other qualifications required other than perseverance, a fast internet connection and the will to stay up late to get first in line.

Given the facts that last LEL the servers could not cope with the pressure, and that in the end < 60% of riders finished in time, I would not object to the idea of the organizers doing a stepped registration based on longest ride in the year before. Without requiring further qualification (like a SR as with PBP).

But that's for the organizers to decide.

You remember incorrectly.

We offered 400 early places in September / October 2015 secured via a £100 deposit. This was to fund the upfront costs of LEL 17 without needing to take out a loan / borrow money.  These places were open to anyone , there was no restriction.

Entry opened to AUK members (who met the membership requirements) in Jan 17 two weeks before the remaining places were opened to the world. There were no restrictions on places during this stage.

Pre qualification for LEL has been debated to death. Danial has said as long as he is organizing it, there will be no qualification requirements. My understanding is that there will be some form of lottery for entry in 2021. As I am riding in 2021, I am not part of the new organizing team. As with anything plans can and will change and that will be down to the organizing team.

We positively discriminated for women in the final place allocations for LEL 17. Every women who wanted to ride, got a place,

If you want to keep abreast of updates sign up to the news letter on the website and if on Facebook join the LEL group. I believe Danial will make an announcement about LEL 21 entry this summer. He will also have a stall at PBP 19.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:03:31 pm »
You remember incorrectly.

We offered 400 early places in September / October 2015 secured via a £100 deposit. This was to fund the upfront costs of LEL 17 without needing to take out a loan / borrow money.  These places were open to anyone , there was no restriction.

That's a nice idea. Crowd funding in effect. Like it.

Entry opened to AUK members (who met the membership requirements) in Jan 17 two weeks before the remaining places were opened to the world. There were no restrictions on places during this stage.

Pre qualification for LEL has been debated to death. Danial has said as long as he is organizing it, there will be no qualification requirements. My understanding is that there will be some form of lottery for entry in 2021. As I am riding in 2021, I am not part of the new organizing team. As with anything plans can and will change and that will be down to the organizing team.

We positively discriminated for women in the final place allocations for LEL 17. Every women who wanted to ride, got a place,

I would love to be in a world where this isn't necessary but I'm guessing while it's under 50% women applying, I'm not going to complain.

If you want to keep abreast of updates sign up to the news letter on the website and if on Facebook join the LEL group. I believe Danial will make an announcement about LEL 21 entry this summer. He will also have a stall at PBP 19.

Am I looking at the right website?

https://londonedinburghlondon.com/

Just has a picture of cyclists in London, and no other content.

J
--

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:18:00 pm »
Ah looks like the news letter registration has disappeared on the new LEL 2021 holding site.  I closed down LEL 17 website in April 2018 and put in place a holding site for LEL 2021 with the news letter registration form on one of the pages. But now replaced with what you see. Yes that is the correct URL. Are you on Facebook? The FB group should still be active.

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:20:20 pm »
P.S. The image changes to other LEL scenes if you wait long enough.

« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:21:15 pm »
P.S. The image changes to other LEL scenes if you wait long enough.

Or click on the LEL logo

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:21:47 pm »

I would love to be in a world where this isn't necessary but I'm guessing while it's under 50% women applying, I'm not going to complain.

Was your decision about complaining influenced by circumstances around another long-distance event, that was MASSIVELY over-subscribed this year? :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #15 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:08:39 pm »
Roger and I have been bouncing this around this week, and we've settled on the following.

The following groups will get guaranteed entry:

• London Edinburgh London 2017 and Windsor Chester Windsor 2019 volunteers
• Audax UK or Audax Ireland members who were members on 12 September 2018, and remain members on 1 January 2021
• Anyone who has completed a LRM validated event in the calendar years 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
• Anyone who brings a spouse or immediate family relative (parent, child, sibling) to volunteer, both at London and another control, for at least three full days

For everyone else entry will be by ballot. There will also be 400 early entry places available for a £100 deposit, from about October this year.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #16 on: 29 January, 2019, 07:44:48 am »

• ... and Windsor Chester Windsor 2019 volunteers

:thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 29 January, 2019, 09:50:09 am »
LEL21 is quite some way off and I doubt that the organisers have come to any official decision yet. 
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #18 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:14:56 am »
LEL21 is quite some way off and I doubt that the organisers have come to any official decision yet.

You should read 2 posts above yours  ;D

« Reply #19 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:43:12 am »
Will you positively discriminating and guarenteeing women a place again?

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #20 on: 29 January, 2019, 12:09:19 pm »
• Audax UK or Audax Ireland members who were members on 12 September 2018, and remain members on 1 January 2021

Wow, luck would have it I became a member for the first time on 10 September 2018.

« Reply #21 on: 29 January, 2019, 01:45:27 pm »
Roger and I have been bouncing this around this week, and we've settled on the following.

The following groups will get guaranteed entry:

• London Edinburgh London 2017 and Windsor Chester Windsor 2019 volunteers
• Anyone who has completed a LRM validated event in the calendar years 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
Anyone who brings a spouse or immediate family relative (parent, child, sibling) to volunteer, both at London and another control, for at least three full days

For everyone else entry will be by ballot. There will also be 400 early entry places available for a £100 deposit, from about October this year.

If past experience is to be repeated, the term "child" should perhaps be clarified. If under 18 the "child" will have to be accompanied by a responsible adult, and given the way the controls operate, children under about 14 are unlikely to be welcome, accompanied or not. Of course, Danial might have alternative plans for 2021 and if so I will happily delete this post to avoid any confusion.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #22 on: 29 January, 2019, 02:00:09 pm »
Seems very fair Alwyn, and I'm not just saying this because I qualify as AUK member as of December 2017  :)

I had a look at the LRM website and blimey! those LRM events are popular in India!

« Reply #23 on: 29 January, 2019, 04:39:18 pm »
"• Anyone who has completed a LRM validated event in the calendar years 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020"
One (or more) each year for 4 years?
In 2016, 2017 and 2018 there's an average of 1700 completions annually (recorded on http://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/35-Compilation.html
Is PBP an LRM validated event? Guess not - only 197 LRM homolgations in 2015.

« Reply #24 on: 29 January, 2019, 05:02:13 pm »

If past experience is to be repeated, the term "child" should perhaps be clarified. If under 18 the "child" will have to be accompanied by a responsible adult, and given the way the controls operate, children under about 14 are unlikely to be welcome, accompanied or not. Of course, Danial might have alternative plans for 2021 and if so I will happily delete this post to avoid any confusion.

Good point, and amended in the website copy. In 2017 we ended up with a few volunteers aged 16-17. As their parents wanted them to volunteer, and the controllers were happy to have them, we took them on. It was pretty successful so I'm going to make it 16 the age that people can volunteer on their own (but with their parents' permission and the controllers' consent).